• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Would you switch from MOA to Mil if you really wanted a scope?

Yupp, unless you try to range with the reticle, MIL and MOA are very very similar.

Three small, very small differences are:
🔹 1/4 MOA clicks have a slighly finer gradation than 0.1 MIL clicks.
At 100y, it's only is a 0.098" (0.25cm) difference. And at 50y, the difference is even smaller, 0.055" (0.14cm) – that’s the thickness of three fingernails...!
My own shooting precision isn't anywhere near that, so that's not a decisive factor for me.

🔹 In my informal survey of scopes there seem to be more MIL than MOA scopes on the market that "qualify as airgun scopes", i.e., they have a 10y parallax, a holdoff reticle (not BDC or plain), and exposed turrets.

🔹 The MIL system uses smaller numbers than MOA. And the MIL system does not employ fractions.
âž” I personally find that easier to memorize and easier to communicate. Cf. the example below:

SCOPES. MOA vs. MIL — On Dope Charts.jpg

To answer to OP: Yes, if I get a really good deal on a scope that's MOA, or an otherwise "perfect for me scope" exists only in MOA, I'd go for it. ✅

Matthias

Reactions: Scouty
If you are shooting with friends and like to spot their shots for them its a good idea to use whichever system they use most. I have a friend that shoots only MOA whereas I shoot only MIL. So when spotting for him I can't give him a perfect call when looking through my scopes and same when he spots for me.

Thankfully my other friends use MIL!
Tenth's, 1's, 10's....

Reactions: Peskådot671