• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Would you switch from MOA to Mil if you really wanted a scope?

I was eyeing the scope tapes for some time but only last week sit down for first time to make my own. And it was a bit of nervwrecking learning curve.
Currently I have 3 scopes mounted, two SFP in MILLDot (0.1 and 0.5) and one LPVO in MOA (1/5 MOA).
I lost myself calculating what is what in Chairgun, which was recommended to me in other thread. Finally I made my scope tapes and now comfortably matching the Strelok clicks but not tested in live shooting yet.
Btw I am a metric guy, mechanical designer and my major client has a production in inches... so I am 50-50 good with numbers. But is beyond me why there any need for 3 different standards ...

tempsnip.png

The problem started when my best scope turret is a 1 click=0.5cm @ 100 meters, and the LPVO is 1 click 1/5 MIL and the third scope is 1 click 10 mm???
How to do that, here is the screenshot above??

Last edited:
I was eyeing the scope tapes for some time but only last week sit down for first time to make my own. And it was a bit of nervwrecking learning curve.
Currently I have 3 scopes mounted, two SFP in MILLDot (0.1 and 0.5) and one LPVO in MOA (1/5 MOA).
I lost myself calculating what is what in Chairgun, which was recommended to me in other thread. Finally I made my scope tapes and now comfortably matching the Strelok clicks but not tested in live shooting yet.
Btw I am a metric guy, mechanical designer and my major client has a production in inches... so I am 50-50 good with numbers. But is beyond me why there any need for 3 different standards ...

View attachment 295902

The problem started when my best scope turret is a 1 click=0.5cm @ 100 meters, and the LPVO is 1 click 1/5 MIL and the third scope is 1 click 10 mm???
How to do that, here is the screenshot above??
If 1 click is 0.5cm at 100m it is 1/20 MIL per click

If 1 click is 10mm (aka 1cm) at 100m it is 1/10 MIL per click

I've never used a 1/5 MIL scope but that's probably typical on LPVOs and red dots (mine are all 1/2 or 1 MOA adjustments). I would assume you could create a custom 1/5 profile by selecting "click calibration"

I use both MIL and MOA pretty interchangeably. MOA has a slightly finer adjustment (ie; 1/4 moa vs 1/10 mil) so typically thats what I go for. If I come across a great deal on a MIL scope I buy it though. The different systems really only matter if you are using your reticle to measure/range things which your average shooter is not doing, myself included. Rangefinders are cheap and much faster than breaking out a pen and paper and doodling out some math.

I use both. They are all just reference points on a reticle to me. I find my zero and don’t bother the turrets. I figure the adjustments I need to make when target shooting or if I miss in the field and can see where the missed shot hit and that’s pretty much it. If the adjustments result in a kill shot then mission accomplished. I barely have time to range a lot of my shots and don’t feel that I have time to calculate much of anything else on fidgety moving targets that I sometimes track by moving myself.

I didn't care neither what scope I was using because at the bench I had my tablet and Strelok with me all the time.
But decided printing a scope turret tape for my Leshiy2 only to simplify my luggage. I hope I don't need a tablet+radar+batteries+paper and a pen.
Finally I can shoot a full silhouette range without looking up how many clicks I need for jumps in between 20-40-60-70-80-100, also for short ranges 10-20.

Well, for a dope chart, or remembering my dope, it seems easier to remember a number in the decimal system than a system that uses fractions.....
(And easier to write it down, too. Certainly less numbers.)

MOA = MIL
1 ¼ = 0.4
1 ¾ = 0.5
2 ½ = 0.7
6 ¾ = 2.0

Matthias 😊

It is as you stated yourself, using Strelok it really doesn't matter. Usually the Mil reticles are a little less cluttered and if you are an actual clicker then that matters even less. I am finding my way back to SFP too, since Strelok is doing the math, I can find the magnification needed to put the target on a hash mark, since I don't click, -very handy.