• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Would you consider this notable crown damage?

I’m a relatively new person in regards to air guns and firearms as a whole. I know a good crown on a barrel is essential for accuracy. Today I decided to clean my air rifles and when I took one of my barrels out I noticed that crown was slightly damaged, as if dropped on the floor before installing. I was wondering if this small amount of damage could have any negative effect on accuracy. Outside of the small ding on the outer edge of the barrel the actual hole and groves look pristine. Any opinions/thoughts would be welcomed. I’m just hoping that I’m overthinking this and it’s fine.
1592974371_10405331105ef2dc23122a69.34016207.jpeg
1592974371_16157427915ef2dc232b8523.34527138.jpeg
1592974371_1023614175ef2dc234a4f97.60535797.jpeg

Yes, if I'm looking at the right place, that's really not the crown, and should not be an issue. The crown is the portion that is in contact with the pellet when it exits the barrel, literally, the end of the lands and grooves. I suppose one could suggest that a major ding very close, but not touching the actual crown could cause some air turbulence on exit, but I've never heard of it occurring. The importance of a good, uniform crown is proven, but it can sometimes be overstated as well. I've seen a couple of tests in which gunsmiths cut barrels and did no crown work at all, and even used a grinder to make a terribly damaged and uneven crown. Most of the barrels actually shot pretty well after such abuse. With uneven crowns, the POI was changed significantly, but the precision of the groups was, in most cases not bad. So yes, it's important to precision accuracy, but it's not often as egregious as we assume. If you look at a random sample of rifles in the average deer hunting camp, I expect you would see a good many dings that have been long ignored. 

Thanks for everyone who posted their thoughts/opinions. Right after I took these bad photos I put the barrel back into the gun. I got out this morning and it seems like the majority was right and it’s nothing to worry about. At 25 yards I was able to punch out multiple 1/4 inch ctc groups and considering the overall length of the barrel is a tad under 10 inches I would say it’s shooting great. The cleaning actually seemed to slightly tighten the groups up marginally, so I doubt the unnoticed nick ever had an impact. I’m sorry for the couple of you guys who asked for more pics, once I took the original pics I was eager to just get out and shoot the gun and now that I’m sure everything is solid I don’t want to risk messing anything up lol. Thank you for the quick responses.