Would you call the FX Impact a fragile air rifle?

Would you call the FX Impact a fragile air rifle?

No , not a all. But then again I don't use my air rifles as a club. 

Once, I saw a video on YouTube of a Russian guy use his PCP as a club. I think his name was "Ed" possibly, not certain (I did grab a screenshot though as proof)

1548406946_2864433215c4ad0a2d143c5.67736126_F63FB659-4C69-4201-9A1C-2B4D3B451D7D.png

😉

Hi Again!

IME Regarding the title my answer is NO, but is not a rugged rifle either. I will never attach a sling to it (might hit the barrel without notice). Regarding the barrel, true, maybe is not 100% free float but changes, branch hits, etc, will change the POI so careful there.

The Impact X is probably one of the more accurate pcp availables right now (if not the most) made for all terrain (hunting, bench, FT) but you can not have match accuracy (at least right now) with rugged pcp...is like an F1 car versus a 4x4 car, you can have hybrids, but sacrificing some features of F1 or 4x4. Usually accuracy and hitting the rifle, does not come alone. (And I mean 1 MOA or less accuracy! .... learn that a few days ago! jajaja) 

I have an Impact X in .22 and can reply to some of your questions.

As far as being fragile, if your going to put it in a backpack which will get bumped around and possible dropped a few times, my concern would be the scope, not the gun. Yes the barrel can be put on and off in less than a minute with no change in POI, but since the bottle stays on the gun you'd only save about 6 inches. If thats required, I'd say no problem. My barrel is 600mm, or about 24 inches. Most of that is very supported with the final 12 inches of barrel not supported and enclosed in a shroud with a 5 inch, very lightweight FX moderator attached to the shroud (it is VERY quiet). The barrel is stiff and you would probably dent the shroud before the barrel. I wouldn't worry about a few bumps into trees or whatever.

Shooting JSB 18.13 grain pellets at 860fps my gun is at 30 foot pounds. From a fill of 250 I get around 140 shots with the power wheel at max. My regulator is set at 110 bar. With a Hawke Airmax 4-12X40 scope and Burris Signature adjustable rings (I love the AMX etched glass reticle) it's right at 8 pounds. It is very accurate. This is how it came from the factory and is how I plan on leaving it. The gun is very easy to shoot offhand and does everything I want it to so I'll just leave it as is.

I can certainly see where if you wanted a bench rest gun to shoot at 100 yards or shooting larger game, increasing the regulator, adjusting the hammer spring, etc., etc., would be easy to do with this gun. If you get one I'm sure you will appreciate all the thought and engineering that went into this fine rifle.

I have an Impact X in .22 and can reply to some of your questions.

As far as being fragile, if your going to put it in a backpack which will get bumped around and possible dropped a few times, my concern would be the scope, not the gun. Yes the barrel can be put on and off in less than a minute with no change in POI, but since the bottle stays on the gun you'd only save about 6 inches. If thats required, I'd say no problem. My barrel is 600mm, or about 24 inches. Most of that is very supported with the final 12 inches of barrel not supported and enclosed in a shroud with a 5 inch, very lightweight FX moderator attached to the shroud (it is VERY quiet). The barrel is stiff and you would probably dent the shroud before the barrel. I wouldn't worry about a few bumps into trees or whatever.

Shooting JSB 18.13 grain pellets at 860fps my gun is at 30 foot pounds. From a fill of 250 I get around 140 shots with the power wheel at max. My regulator is set at 110 bar. With a Hawke Airmax 4-12X40 scope and Burris Signature adjustable rings (I love the AMX etched glass reticle) it's right at 8 pounds. It is very accurate. This is how it came from the factory and is how I plan on leaving it. The gun is very easy to shoot offhand and does everything I want it to so I'll just leave it as is.

I can certainly see where if you wanted a bench rest gun to shoot at 100 yards or shooting larger game, increasing the regulator, adjusting the hammer spring, etc., etc., would be easy to do with this gun. If you get one I'm sure you will appreciate all the thought and engineering that went into this fine rifle.

That shot count is superb! Are you using the telescopic or fixed shrouds? Curious as to how loud the telescopic one is. I bought an Impact X in .30 / STX 700mm (from 2511bless in the classifieds here) however I'm planning to get a .22 kit as well (with the end goal being a slug liner). I'd love to figure out how the math works out for hot count in .22 with slugs. In terms of damage in a backpack, I have several hiking packs, but this will go in my Exo K2 5500 hunting pack. It's ridiculously large, but lightweight (titanium frame) and I can figure out a safe way to pack it with some surrounding protection materials. If I can tear the gun down at or below 30", I can fit it in other packs that I own - otherwise, I'll use the EMG pack.

For scopes, I'm mainly using a Nightforce NXS and a Vorex PST II. I may wind up getting a long range NF ATACR or another Leupold soon though, specifically for this rifle. My 3-15x44 may or may not be enough for the distances, we'll see.

Hi Again!

IME Regarding the title my answer is NO, but is not a rugged rifle either. I will never attach a sling to it (might hit the barrel without notice). Regarding the barrel, true, maybe is not 100% free float but changes, branch hits, etc, will change the POI so careful there

I still need to wrap my head around how there can be POI shift with its semi-free floating barrel. Is it due to the single set / grub screw and over-generous notching in the breech end of the barrel that can be skewed from the original set position?

I still need to wrap my head around how there can be POI shift with its semi-free floating barrel. Is it due to the single set / grub screw and over-generous notching in the breech end of the barrel that can be skewed from the original set position?

You only get a shift if you leave the barrel propped against something. It's supported by a couple of o-rings about midway and they temporarily deform to cause the poi shift. It goes back to normal a few minutes after you stopped propping it on the barrel. Small bumps never changed mine.

You only get a shift if you leave the barrel propped against something. It's supported by a couple of o-rings about midway and they temporarily deform to cause the poi shift. It goes back to normal a few minutes after you stopped propping it on the barrel. Small bumps never changed mine.

Are those the same o-rings that are there to control the barrel harmonics?

The truth is, ANY Airgun can experience failures from o ring leaks... my experience is the Impact has these failures more frequently due to the higher number of o-rings which equates to more failure points. To me, that is fragile. I only owned an Impact for around 6 months before I sold it. I had to break it down and trouble shoot leaks on 2 occasions in 6 months. Out of all the PCP’s I’ve owned I never had anything similar happen. I use my airguns for Target and hunting tools, keep them properly maintained and never abuse them. The point of impact shift was there on the Impact, but not to the extent my crown had it. If you leave the Impact with the barrel resting against a tree, your car or in a safe, the POI would shift very slightly. 

The truth is, ANY Airgun can experience failures from o ring leaks... my experience is the Impact has these failures more frequently due to the higher number of o-rings which equates to more failure points. To me, that is fragile. I only owned an Impact for around 6 months before I sold it. I had to break it down and trouble shoot leaks on 2 occasions in 6 months. Out of all the PCP’s I’ve owned I never had anything similar happen. I use my airguns for Target and hunting tools, keep them properly maintained and never abuse them. The point of impact shift was there on the Impact, but not to the extent my crown had it. If you leave the Impact with the barrel resting against a tree, your car or in a safe, the POI would shift very slightly.

How far of a shift would you see (and at what range)? Did it ever "right" itself after a while?

Hi Again!

IME Regarding the title my answer is NO, but is not a rugged rifle either. I will never attach a sling to it (might hit the barrel without notice). Regarding the barrel, true, maybe is not 100% free float but changes, branch hits, etc, will change the POI so careful there

Like @heavy-impact mention, probably the o'rings that holds the barrel (no the liner, those are for harmonics probably)

Did you Check the Commander? (regarding the other post), is not an impact (impact is Better IMO), but for backpacking looks good (can not change barrels tho) (sorry different topic, but you know what I mean) ;)

Hi Again!

Like @heavy-impact mention, probably the o'rings that holds the barrel (no the liner, those are for harmonics probably)

Did you Check the Commander? (regarding the other post), is not an impact (impact is Better IMO), but for backpacking looks good (can not change barrels tho) (sorry different topic, but you know what I mean) ;)

I haven't heard of that one before. My Impact will be here tomorrow, so I'll finally have the chance to get a feel for it to see if it'll be a good fit or not. I'm going to test the .30 / 700mm barrel that came with it long range next weekend (The end goal will be ~23gr .22 slugs with a 600mm barrel)

Brocock Commander, you can fold the stock as with the leishy. You finally decide for the Impact X, good! I am too waiting for the Slug Liners...been searching for slugs and 2 are the ones that have my attention, NSA and RATSNIPER, the last one like it more (in theory) since you do not need a special power kit to achieve 950 or so fps, since those are pellet like in weight. (so you just need the Slug liner) any experiences with those over here?

Pretty much all high quality firearms/pcp’s can be damaged by dropping them from waist level - either knocking the barrel out of true or messing up the scope - but I don’t consider the impact more delicate than any of my high end hunting rifles. If anything, it’s easier to work on. Lots of o-rings, yes... but if you can screw on the cap of your toothpaste tube you can replace an O-ring - it’s that simple. Now if you don’t use toothpaste... you’ve got other problems.