• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Would you call the FX Impact a fragile air rifle?

Well...

I own 3 FX Impacts. And not to have one in case 2 of them break. 😂

You have to really try hard, to tear this rifle up. Or exhibit a level of incompetence that is dangerous.

I really enjoy shooting and tinkering with these rifles. I have learned much about the mechanics and physiology of air guns from using and tinkering with this technological marvel.

Its no secret that these guns have twice as many orings as other air guns. More mechanical parts, detacheable parts, and features will cause reliability for something to fail. And we all know, what can go wrong will go wrong.

i like mine very much and have stopped tinkering with it embracing the philosophy of “if it aint broken dont touch it.” Very happy with the reliability after doing this and one simple mod that made things much better. Drilling and tapping the pellet probe set screw for a bigger screw.

Reactions: 2manyAirGunz
I could see how it is more potentially “fragile” due to the vast adjustability. There are many things to be aware of when making those adjustments or you can damage something. Ex) Must degas before turning regulator down, be uncocked when adjusting power, etc..

but aside from making adjustments, id say it is a rugged gun. Ive only had mine a few months but have put a few thousand pellets through it already. Zero issues so far.

Reactions: 2manyAirGunz
I could see how it is more potentially “fragile” due to the vast adjustability. There are many things to be aware of when making those adjustments or you can damage something. Ex) Must degas before turning regulator down, be uncocked when adjusting power, etc..

but aside from making adjustments, id say it is a rugged gun. Ive only had mine a few months but have put a few thousand pellets through it already. Zero issues so far.

+1

Relatively yes - on so many levels. I realized the other day how much wrapping my thumb over the barrel shroud affected the hit. its a free floating barrel. don't touch it. rest it in a open palm while shooting or grip the air bottle..

I learned to shoot on a 7.62 HK G3 I think its called over here. you could dig trenches with that thing. drag it through whatever.. and it would shoot. the FXimpact belong in its laser cut foam case when not being shot, don't sling it and toss it over your shoulder while walking in the forest, if the barrel gets hung up.. its delicate, you could bend something...

That puts it right in there with the world of fantastic wonderful competition rifles as seen in the olympic games. Maybe a bit more made to go into the real world away from targets.. but handle with great care.. its definitely seriously fragile by combat rifle standards. :)

Just saying.

I demolished mine due to stupidity. That doesn't count here. Other than my own idiocy, it's been a tough little gun. It does take a bit more care than some guns simply because it has so many O-Rings that need care and maintenance from time to time. The parts are high quality and it simply works, so no, I don't consider fragile. More like a nice sports car where my Marauder is simple and tough like my old 1977 Toyota truck. Oh, how I miss the simplicity of that truck.

Thanks for all of the replies. You have all painted a great picture.

@dansker may have pointed out something that I hadn't considered (which I'm very thankful for realizing now) about it's free floating barrel system. This does seem to be a delicate thing that I should be hyper-aware of when using the FX in the mountains.

I was never a picky airgunner in the past (first tunable PCP was my P-rod). Then I bought a Leshiy with a Huma regulator and a chrony lol. I can see the temptation for tuning the FX for each pellet and caliber, I will fight the OCD in me and take it easy with it.

Overall, correct me if I'm wrong, I have the understanding that the FX Impact is a heavily engineered, highly tunable, well made competition grade platform, with similar levels of vulnerabilities to the M16 in Vietnam vs. the AK47 on the opposite end of the spectrum.

I'm also totally fine with working on it myself. As mentioned, the information on doing so here is vast. I would very much prefer this anyhow, I prefer to fix anything that I own that is within my abilities to figure out (e.g. I wouldn't typically use warranties for anything but proprietary items that I could not get parts for, or where it would just make better sense to have replaced with such).

I do not think the impact is considered having a free floating barrel. It is actually supported 3 places. First at the breach end, where it is secured with a screw, and O-rings. Then it is supported 2 more places by O-rings, under the picatinny rail at the block. It is only from the block (same area where the bottle is screwed in) the barrel hangs freely.

Well fragile ,I wouldn't think so as long as you treat it like you just paid 2k for it and not like you gave 99 bucks for it or treat it like an edgun and drive a vehicle over it and attempt to shoot it afterwards.:)

I own mechanical watches for 3x the price of the Impact that I'm completely comfortable with wearing while I work on my vehicles. I'm not apprehensive in doing so, because I know that they're engineered in a way that can handle the inadvertent abuse (i.e., while I'd never intentionally try and backhand slap the steel control arms on my Jeep's lift with the crystal glass, I'm not worried about them taking some bumps and scratches as I go about my day).

For a person like myself that hasn't ever handled and Impact before, there's ambiguity and uncertainty with the information available on the Internet about it. The majority share of reviews and videos are in controlled environments - like benchrest sessions at the range or at private farms. There's some videos of people that claim that it's their go-to hunting PCP (e.g. the guy from South Africa), but I haven't seen much in terms of woods stalkers, nor anyone using it in mountainous terrain.

I'm not abusive to PCPs - I treat them primarily with the respect of having multi-hundreds of bar pressure in a metal chamber. With that said, I'm an avid mountaineer, hunter, and general outdoorsman. Everything that goes into my pack has made it there through trial and error -- with the highest degree of scrutiny of it being able to perform to the utmost potential. I will not settle for second best in this regard.

I posted this to get some critical feedback before it lands in my hands. I do plan to take my new Impact X out on a first date when it arrived next week, to see if she and I are going to be compatible. The attraction that brought me to making the decision was it's shot count divided by weight, it's claimed accuracy at range. I was very close to buying a Priest, however - the FX has an edge on crowd sourced information and to a degree, parts availability. The valved CF bottles set it far ahead of the others that I was looking at as wel. The fact that it is capable of having its barrel removed was an absolute green light for me to make the decision, since I pack my backpack methodically and require options for transporting.

The full tuning capabilities are simply a bonus, I'm up to speed on how to tune it. It will take some time to learn it's voice to know with certainty when it is or is not happy. I will plan to tune it for the optimal shot count for the ammo that I decide to use, and will sacrifice power if need be to get the count where I would need it to be. 

Thanks again for the feedback. This has been extraordinarily helpful to me and I greatly appreciate you all!