Would you buy a gun if you knew it was a knockoff of another gun?

The Chinese government has done damage to the world on a massive scale this year. If there is any way to avoid it, I don't buy Chinese. Period. I will pay more to not do so. Sometimes it can't be avoided, but I do make that effort. My choice. I don't expect anyone else to share it. There are other countries that I boycott for reasons of politics. It's my money and I'll support those of whom I approve and do my best to avoid those I don't. I also don't like thieves, and those who knock off the efforts of others for profit without compensation fall into that category. Everyone has to do what allows them to feel good about their actions. This is my personal policy.

Reactions: pan60 and sonny
Sometimes, it's not about the money, it's about the something else. I can afford whatever I want. Yo! will be able to relate to this example. I have a Leshiy 2 on order, 100% prepaid, that is to ship 7/15-8/15. I was looking for a scope for it. Anyone who has owned a Leshiy (I do) knows it can be difficult to scope because it folds and its not desirable to have the scope sit past the hinge,and the relatively long length of pull which puts your eye far from a compact scope. Yo! gave me a tip on the Vortex Razor HD 1-10 x 24 Gen III with EBR9 mil reticle. I emailed my premium optics dealer, and the price was $1,800. When I asked about delivery, he said there in no ETA. He's still waiting for orders he placed in January! 

If my Leshiy arrives in the time frame quoted (it better or I will request a refund from Paypal), I could be without a scope for it for 6 or more months. I went on OP and found the Atibal X 1-10x 30. The reticle is acceptable to me. 4.5 star rating there and a couple other places. Turns out Vortex generally copies Atibal products. That's why it's in stock and the Vortex is yet to be made (at higher price and quality though probably not almost 3X the quality). I'm not going to have my L2 for 5,6, or more months without a scope. I was willing and able to pay $1,800 for the Vortex today, but am not willing to wait for whenever. Atibal X it is. The price? $646. I will have to shell out another $100 because the Atibal X tube is 35mm. With me, it is NEVER about the money. It's about what I want/need, and what I can get.

Well the Chinese government doesn't care, that's for sure. They are the one encouraging their people to steal everyone else's IP so they can profit off it. Sometimes it blatant theft of IP and products and others times just making cheap copies (seriously just look at Harbor Freight - everything they sell is a cheap cheap Chinese knock off brand off quality stuff).

I've seen examples of this throughout my adult life. Most recent I can think of is the Shoebox. Not that the Chinese copied it, but they made a cheap version that was good enough for many people and drove the company almost out of business.

What else - the PP800 is pretty much an Ocelot. There are threads I've read of the copying of the Impact form factor, but that may be just a generalization. Most copies definitely seem to be of lower quality than the original.

I'll buy American when I can. I'll also save my money up to purchase quality when I can. Buy once, cry once. I prefer fewer quality toys over more so-so ones. 

Here's a pretty funny one. I had it out in the optics section questioning optical quality of 2 CHINESE SCOPES a BSA vs Primary Arms for double the price. Good possibility Chinese copied an original CHINESE BSA $249 MIDWAYUSA and then used the same BSA label to sell that copy for less than half price $100 at Aliexpress. Funny part is that $100 CHINESE BSA CLONE is CLEARER THAN THE CHINESE $249 ORIGINAL. WHAT DO YOU CALL THE CHINESE SPINOFF OF VASELINE? NO WONDER THEY'RE OVERPOPULATED. Yo!

I normally don't like to by stuff from China, but I have an Alpha Prog and a Listone copy and for the price difference (over $450) I would do it again. Actually I guess the Listone was made in Taiwan but they both shoot about the same to me and quality is about equal. I was able to buy both the pcp and the co2 versions of the Listone for less than the Alpha Proj.

I normally don't like to by stuff from China, but I have an Alpha Prog and a Listone copy and for the price difference (over $450) I would do it again. Actually I guess the Listone was made in Taiwan but they both shoot about the same to me and quality is about equal. I was able to buy both the pcp and the co2 versions of the Listone for less than the Alpha Proj.

Taiwan is Democratic who SHOULD be our friend. They are the ENEMIES OF CHINA. You know the saying the enemy of your enemy... Yo!

I know for a fact that it is sometimes better to pay more and get more....things that matter like Binoculars ,boots and sex....Life time equipment needs to be better than good and last longer than the life span of a monkey.. .. indeed there are things..cheap and good...back to the question,I try to get the original by buying used....

I know for a fact that it is sometimes better to pay more and get more...more things that matter like Binoculars ,boots and sex....Life time equipment needs to be better than good and last longer than the life span of a monkey.. .. indeed there are things..cheap and good...back to the question,I try to get the original by buying used....

Why HOW MUCH ARE YOU PAYING? Yo!

about 40-30% less used...which is about the same as a new Chinese copy....I guess that is what you are asking me.Oh sex,I was being a smart axx on that,doesn't matter it's all good and worth it to me,butt less than food.I'm thinking I drift too far off the target on a few of my replies...I got reprimanded for it elsewhere....sometimes spice is good,no?

about 40-30% less used...which is about the same as a new Chinese copy....I guess that is what you are asking me.Oh sex,I was being a smart axx on that,doesn't matter it's all good and worth it to me,butt less than food.I'm thinking I drift too far off the target on a few of my replies...I got reprimanded for it elsewhere....sometimes spice is good,no?

The avg man has SEX on his mind how many times a day? Don't blame you. Yo

I know for a fact that it is sometimes better to pay more and get more....things that matter like Binoculars ,boots and sex....Life time equipment needs to be better than good and last longer than the life span of a monkey.. .. indeed there are things..cheap and good...back to the question,I try to get the original by buying used....

🙈🙉🙊 You don't always get what you pay for... 😉 Sometimes you get more than you paid for ...

The problem with buying a rip off design is it kills innovation. Once you do that your countries industry moves to the innovator. China figured that out a long time (4 decades) ago. They have exploited that because most of us (self included) were willing to accept slightly poorer quality for much reduced prices. We traded away our manufacturing base for cheap products stolen from our innovators by China. Now most of our pharma is designed in the west, copied in the east and sourced in the east. Most of our smart phones are manufactured in China and assembled in other parts of the far east. Most of our technical innovation is being stolen as we use it by companies in China or people they sent here to work. In the end we pay a premium for a product which we desperately need from a country that really doesn't even care if it poisons our pets. Aside: I had to quit buying dog treats manufactured in China. Every now and then I'd get one that made my dog sick. That doesn't happen with western produced goods (as much). Well at some point, China decided their market was so big and so lucrative that they could demand our businesses provide our technology to their manufacturers. The end result is obvious to anyone who wants to look around. China is now using every bit of the tech they have stolen to embed surveillance devices in our networks and our society. (If you want links to the reports they are easily found.) The west is now highly dependent (to an unsafe and unhealthy degree) upon a nation which was perfectly willing to keep the truth about a disease from the rest of the world while buying up all available PE in the west. They lied to us while buying the very safety equipment they knew we were going to desperately need. So, lesson learned for me? Don't buy obvious rip offs from people who are not your friend even if you save a lot of money.

Reactions: pan60
Well said. I knew when Nixon opened up trade with China that this would happen. I have not been proven wrong. However, I do think that there are other sources for the goods currently made there and that we will see a great change in how the world does business because of current events. By the way, I'm perfectly happy buying out of Taiwan. They are not the CCP.

Well said. I knew when Nixon opened up trade with China that this would happen. I have not been proven wrong. However, I do think that there are other sources for the goods currently made there and that we will see a great change in how the world does business because of current events. By the way, I'm perfectly happy buying out of Taiwan. They are not the CCP.

Well met! Matt. I told my kids as soon as they were old enough to understand it that China and not the USSR was the biggest threat we would face in the (then) next century. Kissinger got half the job done. He wanted to ally with China against the USSR and that part worked. Unfortunately the politicians who came later were not smart (or honest) enough to implement the other half of the plan. Ally with Russia against China. Maybe that will come soon if the citizens are smart enough to grasp it.

India is the next China. Plenty of people, same work ethic as the poor in China. Democracy. Unlikely to want world domination in the near term (our children's lifetimes).

Sorry for the OT post... just pretend I did not put it here.

well... only so many ways to configure a gun's design.....

Some of the AEA offerings look a lot like an Impact... as does some of the KRal designs.... did they "appropriate" that from FX? Guessing that the FX design did INFORM the design of those two companies... And likley FX had been influenced by some one else's design way back when....

As far as an out and out rip off.....depends.... whats the quality of the build, spare parts, maintenance,.....price...... and likley the most telling factor for me: who's the vendor?

NO!

i used to work trade shows and we would stay late and have meeting in the booth. Then you witness all these Chinese people going around booths and taking pictures and measuring exhibitors products on display. They have not problem outright stealing what others work a lifetime to achieve and copy and sell for pennies on the dollar. They clearly broke the rules of the trade show and they should be arrested and charged. 

I don’t buy any of their POS guns or anything I can avoid. They have no manners or morals. And yes, I have first hand experience with some of them.