• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

would this be a good idea for a barrel (chemical coating)

If my arithmetic is correct, the thickness would be less than .0001", so my guess, thickness alone would not be a problem, as most manufacturing tolerances are not that exact. I'm thinking here of traditional cut, button rifled, and hammer forged barrels. The FX barrels and liners might be a different matter. You could inquire of some barrel makers, but I'm pretty sure none will recommend it. I believe you would just need to experiment with it, at the risk of needing to replace a barrel. My guess, it is not going to improve a good barrel, nor fix a bad barrel, so I would spend the money on some good bourbon or pellets. One thing is certain, you'll never screw up a barrel by leaving it alone. 

Reactions: Arkansas_Airgunner
If I had the ability to access that technology at minimal, or no cost, I'd be all over it. Who knows what you may discover that others say won't/can't/shouldn't work. My guess s over 50% of us on this forum tinker to our own ability level. Dreaming and problem solving is what keeps us going.

Hell, half the fun of this forum to me is seeing what others have dreamed up, created, and have the ability to do.

Keep thinking outside the box.

FYI: They have been hardening crankshafts by nitriding for a long time.

Reactions: Smitty911
Thickness wise.0002" max, thickness, should not be a problem.

My biggest concern...is could it be deposited "properly" (read that evenly) into a piece of small diameter tubing of .177" / .22" / .30" diameter.

Plus as with most coatings, there is more deposit on hard corners that on smooth surfaces. So there may be a buildup of material on the corners.

Less pellet friction, sure, lasting longer, sure, but again, can it be applied evenly into a "small" diameter ?

GREAT for trigger, and cocking parts. A perfect solution for rough trigger components. Same for the pellet probe (correct word ?).

Mike

Interesting... The Skout Epoch barrels are coated with Nickel Teflon in the bore...

The EPOCH®’s barrel liners have a low-friction nickel and PTFE impregnated finish which is designed to self-clean with the use of soft lead projectiles. Cleaning the barrel’s bore should only be performed in situations where dirt or other debris has made its way into the barrel.

Interesting... The Skout Epoch barrels are coated with Nickel Teflon in the bore...

The EPOCH®’s barrel liners have a low-friction nickel and PTFE impregnated finish which is designed to self-clean with the use of soft lead projectiles. Cleaning the barrel’s bore should only be performed in situations where dirt or other debris has made its way into the barrel.
Niflor coating

Reactions: Centercut