• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Would nitrogen give 1.4 % more fpe than air?

Nitrogen is faster than oxygen. And air contains both nitrogen and oxygen.

When I weigthed the expansion rate of oxygen and nitrogen in proportion to their share of the air content I got a combined expansionrate that was lower than for nitrogen alone.

I got the result that nitrogen would give 1.4 % more fpe than air.

Are my calculations corect or have I musunderstod something?

As far as Nitrogen in comparison to regular air, I would not know, I have been only using N2 for the last six years and I love it. I get a 6000 PSI chest high one foot diameter welding tank delivered and the old one taken away for $60.oo. I don't have to deal with the noise, filters, electricity maintenance and cost of a compressor. 

N2 is clean, dry and ready to go. I put a $240.oo fill whip on it and it last a long time. Considering I use it almost everyday and a lot of times I am filling guns from empty. If you can get it at a reasonable price I highly recommend it.

Thanks

Charlie Frear, Georgia Airguns

Nitrogen is faster than oxygen. And air contains both nitrogen and oxygen.

When I weigthed the expansion rate of oxygen and nitrogen in proportion to their share of the air content I got a combined expansionrate that was lower than for nitrogen alone.

I got the result that nitrogen would give 1.4 % more fpe than air.

Are my calculations corect or have I musunderstod something?

I'm too lazy to run calculations right now, but your approximations are probably not far off. Those confusing 1.4% fpe for 1.4% fps are mistaken. For example 1.4% more fpe is the same as increasing my 60 fpe rifle to 60.84 fpe which would be 8~ fps...even less then when bargaining with 1.4% fps increase...

-Matt