• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Would a Fortitude fit my needs? Or is there a better option?

I've been toying with the idea of buying a PCP for at least half a dozen years but I've just never pulled the trigger. I own pumpers, CO2, and springers in just haven't found the right excuse to buy a PCP yet. I even own a Benjamin hand pump that's never been used. I saw I could get a Benjamin Fortitude for around $220 shipped to my door so that price really intrigues me. I'm considering the 177 if that matters. I don't currently own a 177 (except my son's BB guns).

First let me go over my intended use. I'd say 99% will be either walking through the woods plinking or back yard plinking with my son. Mostly shooting unsupported using just a sling (or any natural features nearby) for stabilization. Expect my son to have 50% of the trigger time. A point in the plus column for weight of the Fortitude. Not sure about the length of pull. He's 11 and can't safely cock the springers. My only pumper is the 1322 and he can manage it but it's an effort for him after about 3 pumps and the LoP is a little long for him. 95% of the shots will be less than 25 yards. I will probably tune it for low FPE to maximize shot count since we will be hand pumping. 177 over 22 for the FPS v FPE trade-off at those low energies. right now 5 pumps and ~400fps on the 1322 fits most of our shooting needs. 600-700fps out of a cheap Crosman dome might be perfect. If I need to do some kill'n I normally reach for a 22 cal springer so hunting isn't a consideration right now. Quiet is good and the quieter the better but not a necessity. I doubt I will do much in the way of modifications except get the trigger to where I would want it for a field gun. I historically like ~3-4lbs for a rifle with a shoulder strap but 5lbs would be acceptable. Over 5.5# will have me tinkering on the gun.

So far I've only researched one bullet point and that is the Fortitude. I think it would fit my needs and seems like a good amount of gun for $220ish. I like that I can call up Crosman at any time to get spares. Can't say I've had the best of luck getting parts for my Umarex guns. But I've only looked at one data point I really don't know what's out there to compare. Maybe the Umarex Gauntlet at first glance? Lots of Chinese stuff I know little to nothing about. Needs some enablers to give me some feedback. Push me over the edge to hit that "complete order" button.

Scratch the Gauntlet off the list...it's an eight pounder despite the synthetic stock. Otherwise it's a great budget platform.

The Fortitude looks like a good choice for your stated use and priorities. I think it has a great feature set and is an ideal weight & size, and as a tinkerer it has potential for improvement. I was very interested in one during its lengthy vaporware stage but lost interest by the time it made it to market due to all the teething issues. My understanding is the gen 2 addresses the major gripes however if you care about having a decent trigger, put $50 in your budget to upgrade it. I really don't perceive myself as a trigger snob but Crosman's direct sear is pretty terrible compared to others in its price class like the Diana Stormrider (made by SPA) and especially the vastly superior drop sear design in the Gauntlet (of QB lineage).

Bear in mind too that barrel quality is always a roll of the dice at this price point. Crosman and SPA both have a spotty history in this respect. Generally the defects are confined to workmanship issues (burrs, rough crown, smeared rifling at the muzzle) so they can be fixed if you know what to look for. This is an area where Crosman's customer service may be a benefit. They'll always take care of you, even if it takes multiple tries.

Every platform has its pros and cons. I’d bite the bullet on it given your description above.

Gauntlet is a good buy but 1/3 more money over the Fortitude! You seem to really be wanting to test the waters and so your original price point idea was a wise one. Best of luck and let us know how you liked/disliked it. 

No doubt the Fortitude is light weight and easy to carry all day long. I would only be concerned about any leaks but that's what their 5 year warranty is for. I have a gen 1 both calibers one if the lucky ones without the leak issues. Triggers oretty terrible but simple to improve. The Gauntlets I have are more accurate than my Fortitudes but they are really heavy guns in comparison probably best suited for bench shooting. The only other gun I would consider is the 177 BSA Ultra 12fpe JSAR for light weight and shorter length of pull for younger shooters. Good luck. Yo!

No doubt the Fortitude is light weight and easy to carry all day long. I would only be concerned about any leaks but that's what their 5 year warranty is for. I have a gen 1 both calibers one if the lucky ones without the leak issues. Triggers oretty terrible but simple to improve. The Gauntlets I have are more accurate than my Fortitudes but they are really heavy guns in comparison probably best suited for bench shooting. The only other gun I would consider is the 177 BSA Ultra 12fpe JSAR for light weight and shorter length of pull for younger shooters. Good luck. Yo!

Yo you have every product a man could ever want. Someday you should post some Pics of your rifles! Totally jealous of your collection!

Yo you have every product a man could ever want. Someday you should post some Pics of your rifles! Totally jealous of your collection!

Nope I have some that are rubbish too. Yo!