Taipan Worth the trouble

I feel daft asking, what does this brass screw look like? TIA

20240422_112102.jpg

Reactions: bucketboy
Shot out to 100yds today just to see how it did. Very very promising results. I was rushed shooting as I only had about 15min. Wind was pretty much calm with a small breeze felt occasionally. Couldn't see where pellets were going as I just had a 12x and weren't hitting my dots so just shot. Also my scope is the Helos BTR Gen2 2-12x42 which had a .3 Mil dot center which is roughly a 1 MOA dot so not a very precise aim point. First were the JTS 18gr and was very pleased with how they did. Both groups had 4 under 3/4" with one opening it up. I'm not sure on the one to the right but I think a breeze caught that one or who knows but regardless very good groups for slinging at 960fps. If I would drop the speed a hair I bet it can do even better but only have it here as I hoped the heavier pellets would shoot good to at the same tune.
20240428_072404.jpg

Next the JTS 22.07gr at 875fps. These did pretty good as well. Both these and the 18gr will need more testing. And I did adjust my scope between these 2 groups as I could see how high they were hitting.
20240428_072416.jpg

Last are the JTS 21.53gr at 875fps. Being a Semi dome I wasn't sure how they would do at longer range. As can see they open up quite a bit. But they hit good and make nice holes lol these perform excellent at 50yds so they would be fine to use at those distances but further not so much
20240428_072422.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bucketboy
The JTS felt as if they chambered harder in my CZ barrels and were not as accurate. They did fine in my Dreamline barrel but I feel it is a looser fitting bore.
I think it might be because they are a harder alloy compared to JSBs. I will say mine has a looser bore compared to what I remember on my CZ barrels. I roughly slugged mine around a .217/.214.

I picked up a used Vet Long in .22 a while back and it shot rather well as I received it, but not as good as I thought it could.

I pulled the barrel and found a slightly "grabby" feeling crown when pushing a pellet through. Put it in my little lathe and buzzed a new crown on it and it shoots extremely well now.

Funny, although unfortunate, to see that someone else found the same. Looks like you got yours dialed in and working well, glad to see that! As much as I hate bullpups, I am still very impressed with this Taipan. They are cool guns. Hope you enjoy yours now that you have it performing well (y)

Great job on the repair. And you're first group with the 22.07g JTS looks good. My standard really likes it . I should check the fps . I imagine it's in the low to mid 800s . But I can't argue with the accuracy.
I'm impressed with them too. Maybe not as consistent as the 18gr but could have been me too. I will be trying them more. If I can't get them as good as the 18gr I'll bump them down to say 920fps instead of the 960fps to save air and likely tighten up groups alittle.

I picked up a used Vet Long in .22 a while back and it shot rather well as I received it, but not as good as I thought it could.

I pulled the barrel and found a slightly "grabby" feeling crown when pushing a pellet through. Put it in my little lathe and buzzed a new crown on it and it shoots extremely well now.

Funny, although unfortunate, to see that someone else found the same. Looks like you got yours dialed in and working well, glad to see that! As much as I hate bullpups, I am still very impressed with this Taipan. They are cool guns. Hope you enjoy yours now that you have it performing well (y)

Wow that's the exact same thing mine had. Crazy. The before and after of your pellets are basically the same as what mine were. I did do pics of groups before and after though lol. Glad we both figured it out in our own ways and made them work. This isn't my first Taipan and I agree on bullpups, I rather have a short carbine. But something about these Taipans are just special, even with the rear cocking. But yes it's a great shooter and am enjoying it just as much as my Evol Mini and that's my top dog the last couple years. I think it'll hold its own against it but it's gotta stand the test of time which I'm sure it will as these rarely do ever have an issue. Makes you wonder how many others have had this issue but had no clue....

Reactions: thumper
I'm impressed with them too. Maybe not as consistent as the 18gr but could have been me too. I will be trying them more. If I can't get them as good as the 18gr I'll bump them down to say 920fps instead of the 960fps to save air and likely tighten up groups alittle.

The 18g JSBs , the 16g Hades and the 22.07s all hit the same windage wise for me. Just a little more holdover at 50y with the heavier JTS pellet.

Reactions: Dairyboy