• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Worth switching from fx amp to huma reg?

Recently I bought a huma reg for my leshiy, and so far I am extremely pleased with it. I mostly bought it due to it being smaller and increasing my shot count in 25. After installation my es is less than 8 through a full fill and it has no reg creep. Now this got me thinking if I should switch my fx dreamline over to a huma reg as well. I am hoping to hear some feedback from some people who have put a huma reg in an fx and their overall experience. I am hesitant to give up the external adjustability of the amp, just wondering if the huma is significantly better. 

The Huma regs are no better than a good werqing FX reg. They even say they werq comparable on the Huma site. I had a bad regulator rod/piston and FX screwed up again and again when I was trying to get the part from them. So, it was faster to get the Huma otherwise I would have kept the FX. FX did eventually make it right though and I got a good part it just took a couple of months. Had they not been watching this forum it would probly never have happened. Cuz this is where they caught it.

I replaced the reg in my Royale with a Huma, just because the FX reg was crazy. But, if it ain't broke.......

+1 If it ain't broke...

The 2 AMP's in my Maverick are working perfectly. 

Huma in my MK1 Impact was creepy.

AMP in the Dreamline is fine.

Huma in the MK3 is as stable as the Maverick.

6 0f 1, 1/2 dozen of another. Save your money.

Thanks for all the good responses and feedback. It’s been a few months since I last shot the dreamline over the chrony. However, when I did it last it was pretty consistent, roughly 14 es. I can’t do it now because it has a leak that I am about to fix. Pretty sure it’s from the reg, so I was just thinking if I should change it out instead of resealing. I think I’ll just stick with the amp and keep the external adjustability. Thanks again.

I replaced the reg in my Royale with a Huma, just because the FX reg was crazy. But, if it ain't broke.......

Plus on the Royales you'll gain a little plenum space too. 

jk

IMG_2418.1612283570.jpg

The old style regs in guns like the royale is very different than the newer AMP regs. One thing is that if you like to tune the gun, the old style reg is difficult to adjust without a reg tester. The huma reg on the other hand has a adjuster screw and a scale, which can get you aprox where you want it. I myself has retrofited a huma reg in an mk1 bobcat, and is a nice reg. But personally I would not switch out the AMP reg if it is working. You would loose the external adjustability of the reg pressure in the dreamline, with a huma reg. And you would need to dissasembly the gun every time you would do adjustments. So if there is no particular reason to do it, I would not. 

Like others have stated if it ain't broke don't fix it. I know lots of people think Humas are the best regs but really there not that special or amazing. There good though and are nice to have for guns that are not regulated from the factory and can be added or for an increase in plenum size due to being smaller in size to other regs. Only reg I replaced with a Huma was a R5 .30 Super long only for the increase in plenum size. Other than that never replaced a reg with a Huma just not worth it if the regs are working.

Had a new Huma that came with my .30 WC MK3 purchase. I shot it with the AMP for a while and it was consistent and reliable at 145bar. Realizing that if I changed over to the Huma I would lose the external reg adjustment. Knowing I would really just set it one-and-done, I was ok with losing this feature because what I gained was 1/2" more plenum space due to the smaller Huma reg size (made a 1" spacer to replace the 1/2" used by the AMP). A benefit I experience with every shot. I was able to lower my reg a few bar and maintain the 890's.