• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Worst First Hunt of a Season For Me

I took some time to finally push myself get out and squirrel hunt. Work has been something else this past quarter. My day started early, but I went out late this morning around 9:30am, nice and cool weather 47-50F. I visited one of my regular spots, saw about 4 squirrels, but only had a decent shot opportunity on one of them. Shot twice and missed both times from about 25-30 yards. I was fine with that. I don’t think it knew it was being shot at, but it didn’t stick around to see what would happen after the second miss. This gray squirrel descended the tree and hightailed it out of sight on the forest floor. It was nice to get out and be around the animals again. I took the latter part of the morning to just sit in the woods and take it all in. It’s was a bit windy today so it was hard to hear much movement. I got busted by a squirrel that I never saw and a deer whose tail I caught in the air as it wheezed and ran. Both had to spot me from 40-60 yards away.

Later after returning home, I ran some errands and got back out in the woods around 5:30ish. It probably took me about 35-40 mins to slow walk and work my way into the woods around the vines, dead leaves, fallen branches, and underbrush. I heard a squirrel try to bust me, but there were too many branches or vines between us for it to be certain that it saw a threat - this is my best estimation of what it was thinking. I also had the sun to my back, so how much could it really see? I stopped, remained somewhat still, and waited it out. When it shut up, I slowly worked my way into the woods a little deeper. I saw some ground that had fewer fallen leaves and branches with decent plant cover to help me blend in so I worked my way into that area. Half of the time during my advance I’m hearing acorns and branches falling and I can’t tell which ones are from the wind, birds, or squirrels. About 30 mins in and after waiting out the barker, I begin hearing the squirrels stir in the trees. Now I’m getting anxious to get into position. There aren’t many openings in the canopy and foliage to take semi-clear shots much longer than about 40 yards. I don’t want to take any long shots because today I dusted off the Prod loaded with 14.3 grain CPHPs. When I finally get into position, I kneel down in the underbrush, spread the legs of my bipod, and lower it so that I can try to maximize my rest for gratuitous angular range. I’m still keyed in on the area that the barker seemed to have been in. Finally, I start seeing movement in a tall, but slim pine tree. I see it sitting on its haunches and put my 3-12x44 FFP Vector Veyron’s crosshairs towards its ear and press the trigger. *shhh-click.* That’s all you hear from the Prod with the Donny FL Tanto affixed. I hit a branch and the squirrel scrambles then runs, propels itself through the air, and into an adjacent oak. I track him and once he pauses I aim for his head and send another hollow tipped diabolo, *shhh-click*………….💥 thwack💥. He falls forward and appears to get stuck between smaller branches below, then falls and swings about a half of a head lower, hanging off a branch by a hind foot. I debated taking a follow up shot, while I’m weighing my next move, it lets go and tumbles to the earth.

I still hear movement in a couple other areas, but I’m listening to see if I can hear the squirrel I just shot. I heard a brief rustle, then nothing. I start to go retrieve it then I stop and turn right, then I look left thinking I should go get it now, but there’s a squirrel going nuts in a tree to my right. So I made a mental note where the first one fell and stalked around a couple trees so I could see what the other one was doing. Turns out that it was weaving through some vines that had grown up into the tree. I couldn’t tell if it was eating , building a dray, or what. What I do know is that I’m gonna cook him if he sits still long enough. My opportunity comes as it jumps through the tangles of vines and down the tree trunk a bit. The rodent paused then hopped to a branch. It stopped and stretched out its torso and neck as if investigating something on the next branch before stepping onto said branch. Good for me, bad for him. When he paused a second too long, I sent one that dropped him like a ping pong ball falling through the peg board on one of those old county-fair games. When it hit the ground I stand up and look over towards the first squirrel I shot. Then I went to search for the second one. When I got toward the base of the tree I could see a mess of vines growing between the two closest trees, up into, and around them. I’m using my bipod as a brush guard and to move vines and long grass around to find my downed quarry. With the moderator affixed the Prod feels pretty long with an AR styled folding stock hanging off of a single point sling. As I stoop to manueaver through the vines my sleeves and pants legs are getting snagged by green briars. One wraps high around my ankle above my boot. I twist and try to untangle myself, but the briar vine is wrapped around my ankle and is tightening. I bend down to grab it and unwrap it and I feel my moderator in the leaves and dirt. I have no way to prevent this from happening. I manage to work myself free using my bipod and gun as brush guards. I circle the two trees, but these vines are a mess. I’m not seeing this squirrel. The sun is now lowering on the horizon and I’m losing light quickly. I decide to retrieve the first one and come back to this one since I have to pass the second squirrel to exit the woods.

I found the first squirrel shot in the head, still breathing. Smh. So I put one in the back of its head. Something told me to get that one first. It convulses violently for about 15 seconds, then gave two weak kicks with its rear right leg just before it took its final breath. I pulled a shopping bag from my pocket to tote it. He was bleeding badly from the head.

I walk over to the vines that are growing into a thicket at the base of these other trees to search for #2. I enter the tangled mess once again. This time the bag I’m holding is getting tangled up in the thorns. I untangle it, get the vines off my sleeve, and hang the bag on a broken branch. One corner of the bag is somewhat shredded and the bushy tail pokes out slightly. I take my cellphone out of my pocket, turn on the flashlight, and try to illuminate as much ground as I can. I squat down to direct the beam of light on the earth and into the underbrush, but nothing. After getting tangled up a couple more times, exiting the briars, walking CCW around the trees a little and entering the briars again. My sense of direction is all the way off. I can’t find this squirrel, don’t see any blood, and the sun is of little assistance at this point. I start lifting up tangled masses of briars with my bipod legs, still I see nothing squirrly. After about 10-15 minutes of this I had to call it quits, so I go back for my bagged squirrel that I hung up and now I can’t find that tree. By this time I’m getting hung up in small vines that I can’t even see. I’m getting hit in the face, poked around the eye, and have thorns scratching my legs through my pants. Eventually I abandoned my search and made my way towards the faint purple horizon using my phone’s flashlight so I could find the path leading out of the woods.

This had to be one of my worst experiences squirrel hunting. The other happened in proximity to the area this incident occurred, but last season. This wooded area is a challenge because it forces you to be stealth just be able to eyeball the squirrels. The foliage is such a mess in places you will have to thread the needle on some shots, pass, or miss and hit vines and branches. I hadn’t thought about it until I typed this, but it’s one of my most challenging squirrel hunting spots. I came home empty handed leaving my meat in the woods. At least I know they didn’t run off, but this sucks. Evening hunts in low light on small critters now present new challenges to me that I can no longer deny. This is me venting. If you read this whole thing, good on you. I don’t expect many people to finish reading this.

Here’s the first squirrel after the coup de gras before bagging him.
IMG_3655.jpeg

Last edited:
Ezana, I have a few small Olight flashlights that will clip to the bill of ones hat,clip to one's pocket, plus they have a magnetic base....they also make headlamp/headband flashlights too, well made and highly recommended! Can purchase from amazon. I use them for many things including fishing and pesting.

This would have been a fantastic time to have a pocket thermal monocle. I ran into a similar, albeit nowhere near as challenging scenario last year, and the thermal monocle.

I just have to tell you something, you're one hell of a storyteller! You should seriously think about doing this in some way you can earn a profit. I'm not kidding in the least. I don't read anything but technical books, but I was bummed that the read was over. Bravo!

This would have been a fantastic time to have a pocket thermal monocle. I ran into a similar, albeit nowhere near as challenging scenario last year, and the thermal monocle.

I just have to tell you something, you're one hell of a storyteller! You should seriously think about doing this in some way you can earn a profit. I'm not kidding in the least. I don't read anything but technical books, but I was bummed that the read was over. Bravo!
@N2 Shooter That’s actually a good idea and I have no idea why I didn’t think of it. Perhaps it’s because I have a buddy that uses a thermal scanner to hunt squirrels and I’m not a fan of this. As much as I like the sporting aspect of hunting gray squirrels, I may have etched it in my brain to not carry a thermal monocular. I guess I could start carrying my Asp Micro for retrieval on evening hunts like this. I don’t think I’ve used it in the daytime. I need to double check to see that sunlight won’t damage the unit. I’ve read of a unit that was recommended not to use in sunlight. I can’t recall which one. Thanks for the suggestion and the compliment. I honestly didn’t think many people would want to read all of that.

Another thing that I find useful on hunts that I hadn’t been carrying for about a year is a small pair of hand pruners. When I carried them a couple of seasons ago, I was all over the place. I had some cheap dollar store trimmers that work great for vines. Gotta add that to the list. I forget small things when I don’t plan my hunts. If I’m hunting nuisance animals I’m more apt to make a list and pack what’s needed. This was a much needed hunt that was a bit impromptu. I almost didn’t go, but pushed myself to get out. I’m glad I did, it just sucks the way things unfolded.

Last edited:
I took some time to finally push myself get out and squirrel hunt. Work has been something else this past quarter. My day started early, but I went out late this morning around 9:30am, nice and cool weather 47-50F. I visited one of my regular spots, saw about 4 squirrels, but only had a decent shot opportunity on one of them. Shot twice and missed both times from about 25-30 yards. I was fine with that. I don’t hunk it knew it was being shot at, but it didn’t stick around to see what would happens after the second miss. It descended the tree and hightailed it out of sight on the forest floor. It was nice to get out and be around the animals again. I took the latter part of the morning to just sit in the woods and take it all in. It’s was a bit windy today so it was hard to hear much movement. I got busted by a squirrel that I never saw and a deer whose tail I caught in the air as it wheezed and ran. Both had to spot me from 40-60 yards away.

Later I ra some errands and got back out in the woods around 5:30ish. It probably took me about 35-40 mins to slow walk and work ny way into the woods around the vines, dead leaves, fallen branches, and underbrush. I heard a squirrel try to bust me, but there were too many branches or vines between for it to be certain that it saw a threat - this is my best estimation of what it was thinking. I also had the sun to my back, so how much could it really see? I stopped, remained somewhat still, and waited it out. When it shut up, I slowly worked my way into the woods a little deeper. I saw some ground that had fewer fallen leaves and branches with decent plant cover to help me blend in so I worked my way into that area. Half of the time during my advance I’m hearing acorns and branches falling and I can’t tell which ones are from the wind, birds, or squirrels. About 30 mins in and after waiting out the barker, I begin hearing the squirrels stir in the trees. Now I’m getting anxious to get into position. There aren’t many openings in the canopy and foliage to take semi-clear shots much longer than about 40 yards. I don’t want to take any long shots because today I dusted off the Prod loaded with 14.3 grain CPHPs. When I finally get into position, I kneel down in the underbrush, spread the legs of my bipod, and lower it so that I can try to maximize my rest for gratuitous a angular range. I’m still keyed in on the area that the barker seemed to have been in. Finally, I start seeing movement in a tall, but slim pine tree. I see it sitting on its haunches and put my 3-12x44 FFP Vector Veyron’s crosshairs towards its ear and press the trigger. *shhh-click.* That’s all you hear from the Prod with the Donny FL Tanto affixed. I hit a branch and the squirrel scrambles then runs, propels itself through the air, and into an adjacent oak. I track him and once he pauses I aim for his head and send another hollow tipped diabolo, *shhh-click*………….💥 thwack💥. He falls forward and appears to get stuck between smaller branches below, then falls and swings about a half of a head lower, hanging off a branch by a hind foot. I debated taking a follow up shot, while I’m weighing my next move, it lets go and tumbles to the earth.

I still hear movement in a couple other areas, but I’m listening to see if I can hear the squirrel I just shot. I heard a brief rustle, then nothing. I start to go retrieve it then I stop and turn right, then I look left thinking I should go get it now, but there’s a squirrel going nuts in a tree to my right. So I made a mental note where the first one fell and stalked around a couple trees so I could see what the other one was doing. Turns out that it was weaving through some vines that had grown up into the tree. I couldn’t tell if it was eating , building a dray, or what. What I do know is that I’m gonna cook him if he sits still long enough. My opportunity comes as it jumps through the tangles of vines and down the tree trunk a bit. The rodent paused then hopped to a branch. It stopped and stretched out its torso and neck as if investigating something on the next branch before stepping onto said branch. Good for me, bad for him. When he paused a second too long, I sent one that dropped him like a ping pong ball falling through the peg board on one of those old county-fair games. When it hit the ground I stand up and look over towards the first squirrel I shot. Then I went to search for the second one. When I got toward the base of the tree I could see a mess of vines growing between the two closest trees, up into, and around them. I’m using my bipod as a brush guard and to move vines and long grass around to find my downed quarry. With the moderator affixed the Prod feels pretty long with an AR styled folding stock hanging off of a single point sling. As I stoop to manueaver through the vines my sleeves and pants legs are getting snagged by green briars. One wraps high around my ankle above my boot. I twist and try to untangle myself, but the briar vine is wrapped around my ankle and is tightening. I bend down to grab it and unwrap it and I feel my moderator in the leaves and dirt. I have no way to prevent this from happening. I manage to work myself free using my bipod and gun as brush guards. I circle the two trees, but these vines are a mess. I’m not seeing this squirrel. The sun is now lowering on the horizon and I’m losing light quickly. I decide to retrieve the first one and come back to this one since I have to pass the second squirrel to exit the woods.

I found the first squirrel shot in the head, still breathing. Smh. So I put one in the back of its head. Something told me to get that one first. It convulses violently for about 15 seconds, then gave two weak kicks with its rear right leg just before it took its final breath. I pulled a shopping bag from my pocket to tote it. He was bleeding badly from the head.

I walk over to the vines that are growing into a thicket at the base of these other trees to search for #2. I enter the tangled mess once again. This time the bag I’m holding is getting tangled up in the thorns. I untangle it, get the vines off my sleeve, and hang the bag on a broken branch.one corner of the bag is somewhat shredded and the bushy tail pokes out slightly. I take my cellphone out of my pocket, turn on the flashlight, and try to illuminate as much ground as I can. I squat down to direct the beam on earth and into the underbrush, but nothing. After getting tangled up a couple more times, exiting the briars, walking CCW around the trees a little and entering the briars again. My sense of direction is all the way off. I can’t find this squirrel, don’t see any blood, and the sun is of little assistance at this point. I start lifting up tangled masses of briars with my bipod legs, still I see nothing squirrly. After about 10-15 minutes of this I had to call it quits, so I go back for my bagged squirrel that I hung up and now I can’t find that tree. By this time I’m getting hung up in small vines that I can’t even see. I’m getting hit in the face, poked around the eye, and have thorns scratching my legs through my pants. Eventually I abandoned my search and made my way towards the faint purple horizon using my phone’s flashlight so I could find the path leading out of the woods.

This had to be one of my worst experiences squirrel hunting. The other happened in proximity to the area this incident occurred, but last season. This wooded area is a challenge because it forces you to be stealth just be able to eyeball the squirrels. The foliage is such a mess in places you will have to thread the needle on some shots, pass, or miss and hit vines and branches. I hadn’t thought about it until I typed this, but it’s one of my most challenging squirrel hunting spots. I came home empty handed leaving my meat in the woods. At least I know they didn’t run off, but this sucks. Evening hunts in low light on small critters now present new challenges to me that I can no longer deny. This is me venting. If you read this whole thing, good on you. I don’t expect many people to finish reading this.

Here’s the first squirrel after the coup de Gras before bagging him.
View attachment 397463
A bad day out is better than looking out the window dreaming .

@Ezana4CE - At least you got out there and did some hunting. Time in the woods is worth a little frustration. Not every hunt is going to be perfect!

Might look into a marker (some pocket change in a white handkerchief works) so you can find your way back to where you started. I use one for morrel hunting and it helps a lot. A head lamp or flashlight is always a good piece of kit to have with you, time to add one to your possibles bag. A good hunter learns from his mistakes!

A friend told me once that if squirrels got to be the size of raccoons it wouldn't be safe to go in the woods! Squirrels are tough has hell and take a crap ton of punishment. Amazing little critters.

Enjoy your squirrel hunting and don't be so hard on yourself!

@maxtrouble For me getting into the woods is important. I have to go. I’d been trying to think of a marker that would be useful. I was thinking of something glow in the dark or a small light. I’ve hung my share of quarry to come back for later and have forgotten how to get to it before. The longest it took me to find some squirrels I’d hung up was about an hour, but I found them. I’d used a pair of colored latex gloves to mark the spot. When I started getting after other animals I found it tough to find that odd looking tree that I’d hung them from. I had little idea how far I’d traveled from that spot in my pursuit. This recent incident is embarrassing because I had to be within 40’ - 50’. I guess next time I’ll use a white grocery bag instead of a gray one.

I was also considering wearing a game bag, but I don’t like getting fleas from my quarry. Been there enough times already. Any ideas on how to work around keeping the animals on your person while avoiding the fleas?

@maxtrouble For me getting into the woods is important. I have to go. I’d been trying to think of a marker that would be useful. I was thinking of something glow in the dark or a small light. I’ve hung my share of quarry to come back for later and have forgotten how to get to it before. The longest it took me to find some squirrels I’d hung up was about an hour, but I found them. I’d used a pair of colored latex gloves to mark the spot. When I started getting after other animals I found it tough to find that odd looking tree that I’d hung them from. I had little idea how far I’d traveled from that spot in my pursuit. This recent incident is embarrassing because I had to be within 40’ - 50’. I guess next time I’ll use a white grocery bag instead of a gray one.

I was also considering wearing a game bag, but I don’t like getting fleas from my quarry. Been there enough times already. Any ideas on how to work around keeping the animals on your person while avoiding the fleas?

I wait until a couple of hard frosts happen before I go hunting now. Got chewed up by fleas on an early rabbit hunt. Perhaps freezer zip lock bags would work? They are big enough for squirrels and have a water proof seal, should work on fleas.

Also one thing I always carry with me is a Swiss Farmer knife. Very slim but handy. Has a mean saw blade, goes through small branches like butter.

Tough going but at least you went and got a couple! Just think of it as providing an easy dinner for some other creature and a good story to share with all of us!

As to the fleas: I spray my clothes and gear in permethrin and I put some diatomaceous earth in my squirrel bags. I make sure there's enough to give the squirrel a good coating and then tie the bag shut to keep them in. Between that and the permethrin the fleas shouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
As we lose light in the woods, we lose depth perception. Once that happens, it’s easy to become disoriented. Once even slightly disoriented, we can panic or get frustrated. Then things just keep going south. That’s why evening hunting for anything is my least favorite. I shot a buck Monday evening with my bow. Got down at last light and couldn’t find my arrow. Followed the disturbance he left in the leaves until I found a couple specks of blood. I looked back towards the tree I had climbed and felt the depth perception and starting to second guess thing starting to creep in. So I packed up and left. Found him the next morning in well lit woods were us dumb humans are most comfortable.

This is the box that I bought for coffin purposes of whatever I hunt. Keeps clean everything around:

IMG_20231017_095334_931.jpg

@AmosBurton Not a bad idea. That stuff is natural and should rinse off fairly easy. Do you use a cloth/synthetic fabric game bag or a plastic bag?
Plastic garbage bag and then that goes in a permethrin treated backpack. Once home or wherever I'm skinning them I let them sit out and give the dying fleas a moment to jump away.

@N2 Shooter That’s actually a good idea and I have no idea why I didn’t think of it. Perhaps it’s because I have a buddy that uses a thermal scanner to hunt squirrels and I’m not a fan of this. As much as I like the sporting aspect of hunting gray squirrels, I may have etched it in my brain to not carry a thermal monocular. I guess I could start carrying my Asp Micro for retrieval on evening hunts like this. I don’t think I’ve used it in the daytime. I need to double check to see that sunlight won’t damage the unit. I’ve read of a unit that was recommended not to use in sunlight. I can’t recall which one. Thanks for the suggestion and the compliment. I honestly didn’t think many people would want to read all of that.

Another thing that I find useful on hunts that I hadn’t been carrying for about a year is a small pair of hand pruners. When I carried them a couple of seasons ago, I was all over the place. I had some cheap dollar store trimmers that work great for vines. Gotta add that to the list. I forget small things when I don’t plan my hunts. If I’m hunting nuisance animals I’m more apt to make a list and pack what’s needed. This was a much needed hunt that was a bit impromptu. I almost didn’t go, but pushed myself to get out. I’m glad I did, it just sucks the way things unfolded.
It works great, even in the daytime, as the temperature of a just expired squirrel is much warmer than ambient. A dead squirrel blends into the leaf bed super easy, which makes them really hard to spot. I've also used this to pick up on blood trails, and it was very helpful. My AGM-Taipan also has a feature which will protect it from burnout if you keep it focused too long on the sun, it will shut the unit down.

20221028174454.JPG