World wide legal requirements for gun owners

Michigan changed the Air Gun laws approximately 2 years ago. The way I understood the old law was any Air Gun over 1.77 that had a rifled barrel, was considered a firearm. The law was repelled, and the way I understand the new law is Air Guns are no longer considered firearms. Any Air Gun larger than 1.77 must be in a case or not reachable for travel. I am going by memory and may not be 100%

"Saltlake58"I looked up Burrum Heads, looks beautiful with the gum trees, or eucalypts, don't know which they are from the pictures.

​The answer did help me understand Australian law a bit better.

AirgunNeils - 80 Joules must be a pretty weak firearm. That's a 45 grain bullet going 800 ft per second. My 22 long rifle is a 40 grain bullet traveling at 1100 feet per second, or about 145 Joules. Might want to check this guy's math. Maybe comparing to a .22 short? or a pistol?

​Spain looks difficult to shoot. 1.7fpe is a mighty light gun. Can't even get .177 target pistols down in that range. Most of them are in the 3FPE range. 

​France a little tougher. 

​All very interesting seeing world wide attitudes towards shooting. ​Thanks for responding. If anyone knows how other countries regulate, I'm always curious.
The firearm he is talking about would be a .25 ACP pistol. I don't know the exact math behind that.
,Niels

its a shame that the people in all government's not just USA are a bunch of misinformed idiots that have no clue what they are talking about also in the USA state and city county laws are illegally over-riding federal laws they are not supposed to do that but oh well look at Chicago and New York strictest gun laws highest firearm crime rates go figure

Here is just another reminder/reason to appreciate our 2nd amendment and our country ;) I work in Federal Law Enforcement and I see a change coming for those of us who enjoy the PCP craze. I will not be surprised if they start regulating the purchase of the higher caliber PCP rifles with the same application as regular firearms. We may be our own worse enemy, by demanding more and more powerful air rifles.

"lee3045"its a shame that the people in all government's not just USA are a bunch of misinformed idiots that have no clue what they are talking about also in the USA state and city county laws are illegally over-riding federal laws they are not supposed to do that but oh well look at Chicago and New York strictest gun laws highest firearm crime rates go figure
In reality, and with what has been learned in Civics classes. The feds set the lowest the bar can be and the states are allowed to set the bar higher so long as it doesn't impinge the federally granted rights. Such as the Bill of Rights, Constitution and it's Amendments. As such the right to bear arms in any state has yet to be denied to all citizens. While it has been regulated to those who can and have shown to be responsible citizens.

Don't be mad if you committed a crime, even if it was jaywalking or a parking ticket in most states it is enough, if your local police chief or sheriff doesn't like you to be able to deny you a gun permit. I know it sucks but if you're not a Felon and want a gun that bad rent a lawyer. Better yet if it's just a state with draconian gun laws or a county move if it's that important to you.

Can't speak to most States, but in Utah, that isn't the case. Open carry is legal, without a permit. Concealed carry is heavily favored for the individual requesting the permit. While a background check is designed to keep the worst out, speeding tickets and jay walking don't figure into the equation. The State of Utah manages the Concealed Carry permits, so locals don't get much of a say.

​Other states are different, so it's the local laws that control. I believe Texas just legalized Open Carry as well. The attitudes here are very polarized.

"Saltlake58"Interesting to hear the rules for other countries. Different power limits, but with an FAC, you can buy whatever you need / want / can afford. This is good to understand. It sounds like Australia is by far the most restrictive, requiring any air rifle purchase to have an FAC equivalent license. France has tighter controls,

Dreuf - are those rules for powder burners, or air rifles? Are air rifles considered Firearms in France?

Norway, does it by caliber
​Matt Dauber of Hunting South Africa mentioned in a video that SA also restricts by caliber, not necessarily power.

​Finland is all PewPew (love that one)
Sweden - 7.4 fpe limit, then FAC

All interesting, and leads me to believe that the restrictions are not nearly as complex as I believed.

​Then there's the US - jimmymc2900 posted above
OK, for the US, here's what I get out of the legal summary: Nationally, no Federal rules on Air Rifles.

California restricts the sale of non-powder guns to those under 18. Also restricts the DISPLAY of non powder guns in public places, meaning, I believe that you must put a BB or Pellet gun in a case to transport. California also restricts the possession of an air rifle on school property.

​New Jersey and Rhode Island consider air guns the same as powder burners.

Illinois and Michigan regulate large bore or high powered air guns as firearms

Connecticut, Delaware and North Dakota list some or all non-powder guns as dangerous weapons, whatever that means

​Rolling Stone (above) mentioned that cities and localities sometimes regulate air rifles differently. That is true as the city I live in doesn't allow pellet guns, but does allow BB guns (strange!)

The rest of us are probably under the age restriction (considering I haven't been under 18 for over 4 decades, I forgot about that one).

​Best to understand where you are as some states like New Jersey have reputations for enforcing gun laws on anyone from out of state, including New York City police officers that live in New Jersey. Just be careful where you travel and understand the local laws in the US because they vary!

​Lots of approaches to Air Rifles world wide!
In Illinois, airguns over .18 are regulated as firearms, yet still (as of today) are not legal for hunting on most state hunting grounds. I have started petitioning my state reps to stop regulating airguns as firearms, I would encourage other Illinoisans to join in. More information: (Cross-forum link following) http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=117529.0

In Argentina in order to own a firearm y must get a LU credential (Legitimate user), to apply for it, one must:
be over 21
accredit id and adders
declare firearms storage adders and safety measures
accredit "Legitimate means of life" (prof of honest job, you or your husband/wife/parent)
get a clean background certificate
pass a physical test
pass a psychological test
complete a weapons handling course whit a certified instructor

then when you buy a firearm you must get "possession" credential for each gun.
also you have to get an "Ammo Consumption card". this is a permit to buy ammo of the calibers listed on yours "possessions credentials", 2500 for .22lr and shotgun shell, 1000 for bullets.

for airguns:
airguns are not considered firearms so most shops only ask you you to be over 18 :)

as using them, you must flow the rules as firearms, problem is that whit currents laws is not clear if is allowed to hunt with airguns.

There is a whole Wiki page on this which lists the airgun laws in a lot of countries.

BTW, New York State only limits air gun sales to people under-age. The only place in NY where air guns are not allowed is areas like NYC and Yonkers. 

To be honest, I think it's smart not to allow air guns in Manhattan. There is literally nowhere safe to shoot in the city and could you imagine trying to deal with the carnage of people shooting out the window of their 50th floor apartments... or accidentally shooting through the paper-thin walls into next-doors apartment...

Where I currently live in Westchester NY, there is no issues buying any air guns. The local town laws on the other hand, are very contradictory and confusing but the way I choose to interpret them is "do what you want on your own land but don't shoot down main street".