• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Working out my D.O.P.E.

So there’s an nrl22 match that my sons and I plan to shoot on the 27th. Today it was too snowy and wet to do anything else so I decided to take the chance to shoot my dynamic.30 and work out the actual trajectory of my slugs. I figured this should be more exact than relying only on a ballistic calculator. I’m shooting Nsa 54.5 grain slugs at about 990 fps.
I decided to use 30 yds as my zero to eliminate hold under. So I shot twice at the target at 30 yards. Dialed two clicks left and four clicks up, shot two more times and they both went through the same hole in the center of the bullseye. (See upper left bullseye). I then proceeded to move the target out in ten yard increments and aim directly for the center top bullseye. At each position after firing three shots I would again line the center dot up with the bullseye and then see where my impacts fell on the reticle, then record how much drop there was which should tell me exactly how much I need to dial. See the attached photo of the target and dope card.
I have a strong tendency to can’t-my gun to the right so a couple times I forgot to check my level and had a bullet hit off to the right. This could also have been due to the wind, which was a left quartering head wind varying from about 4 to 10 mph. When I got to 110 yards I had to aim at the very top of the box as my shot were hitting below the box if aiming at the original bullseye. At 120 yds I turned the box sideways and aimed 1 mil above the top of the box.
So this gives me some real-life data to work with. I know I may have to correct for temperature and pressure variations etc. but this should have me close. It will make my day if I can compete with some of those experienced nrl22 shooters. Some of the people that shoot there are very competitive shooters. 💪

IMG_0405.jpeg

IMG_0403.jpeg

Do it and have fun. The colder you will typically shoot lower than you are now.

If this is your first nrl22 match don't go in with high expectations. Go in wanting to learn and have fun. Take things one stage at a time and don't get hung up on one bad shot or stage. And remember to RESET YOUR SCOPE after each stage. I have blown a stage every once in a while due to this. Lol

Nice meeting you at the match! Before I had a chronograph and Strelock I would print the course of fire for the month and then set the targets at those distances and shoot them and record the data. During the site in period, if I had to adjust my zero elevation I would make the adjustments to my data.

Last edited: