Benjamin Working Out DOPE w/.357 Benjamin Bulldog for Upcoming Hunt

Yes putting lapping compound on slugs and shooting through bore. Cleaning and repeat rough to fine grit compound... Check out David tubes fire lapping videos on YouTube... Same thing.... Just buy valve lapping compound on eBay much cheaper than the gun stuff...same thing... Many big bore shooters are kinda forced into lapping our barrels to eliminate leading... The lother Wather barrels are pretty rough sometimes... A cheap digital bore scope is a wonderful investment... In airgun s our barrels kinda suck especially in big bores...

Reactions: Ezana4CE
I like to pour the lap and lap by hand... Its amazing you can fill.the tight spot s easily when hand lapping. I'm a big barrel geek... I worked for.a barrel manufacturer for.awile and am real familiar with basic barrel making... Custom lapped barrels are awesome but barrel blanks run $350.00 and up also waiting list.. So being able to polish up the rough factory barrel has major economic advantages😀😁

@ReedmosserI have only seen videos of barrel lapping. I’ve never done it.
Did you ever lap your barrel? I'm kind of on the same path as you with my bulldog. Slugged the barrel the other night and there is definitely multiple tight spots in mine. Not the expected breach and choke area either, along the middle. Think I may give lapping a go as the commonly popular slug is not consistent in mine whatsoever.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
10 shot at 40 yards
IMG_0813.jpeg

Still working…

@iAMzehTOASTY1 One went through the same hole. That threw me off for a second as wells.

@Reedmosser Thanks. I think the gun is fine. The first two (high) shots are from me misreading the DOPE. I was supposed to holdunder not over. I went high right again when I pulled a shot.

This is my second time shooting over that last 6 weeks. I have not taken much time to shoot nor have I been consistent since I wrapped things up at my last permission. I think the gun is doing what it’s supposed to do. The variance is on me. I wanted to relax a bit and check my DOPE again.

I was shooting off of my Primos Trigger Sticks bipod using my Donny FL Emperor and sitting in a folding chair. I left my cushion for my bucket elsewhere.

This was around 8:20pm. Real world results. Shooting in low light (at sunset) with a fixed magnification scope with no illuminated reticle from 50 yards. The only difference is that I probably won’t be seated in a chair (outside of a blind) when hunting with this setup. I prefer to sit on the ground or to kneel, but I do like hunting with this bipod. I prefer it over the Trigger Stick tripod.

IMG_0816.jpeg

Worst group of the day below shot from 50 yards.
IMG_0819.jpeg

These were better groups.
IMG_0817.jpeg

By the time I got to this target it was pretty difficult to see my subtensions in the reticle and the holes in the target.
IMG_0818.jpeg

All 5-shot groups were shot starting from 2800 psi. 25 shots total between two different targets. I shot 110 grain NSA slugs.

Last edited: