Wood stock V Laminate stock V Synthetic stock V Metal stock

Okay all you wizards of air - looks set aside, which material is the best for our air rifles?

Before you start peeing on each other’s legs with emotional drivel, which is amusing, can you back up your claim?

I’ve heard that the metal chassis stocks “have no soul”. I’ve heard that “plastic stocks will never make serious shooters”. I’ve heard that “wood stocks are just too heavy”.
Me personally - I drool over natures wild wood grain patterns even though I’ve never won the cool wood stock lottery. But I also enjoy a light weight rifle that a little marring doesn’t hurt. It would seem to me that a high degree of adjustability would really improve ANY stock.
IMG_7374.jpeg
IMG_7380.jpeg
IMG_7372.jpeg
IMG_7274.jpeg

IMG_7371.jpeg

IMG_7379.jpeg

Dunno that I can back up my claim, other than simple personal preference....but these three happen to be my favorites....a bit of a trend there. Although I find it interesting that I profess to be a sucker for laminate, but not one of these three is laminate.....

I quoted Henry Ford a while back, in regards to my rifle preference.....
Screenshot_20240421-040531.png
Screenshot_20240421-040415.png
Screenshot_20240421-040336.png

Okay all you wizards of air - looks set aside, which material is the best for our air rifles?

Before you start peeing on each other’s legs with emotional drivel, which is amusing, can you back up your claim?

I’ve heard that the metal chassis stocks “have no soul”. I’ve heard that “plastic stocks will never make serious shooters”. I’ve heard that “wood stocks are just too heavy”.
Me personally - I drool over natures wild wood grain patterns even though I’ve never won the cool wood stock lottery. But I also enjoy a light weight rifle that a little marring doesn’t hurt. It would seem to me that a high degree of adjustability would really improve ANY stock.
View attachment 457741View attachment 457742View attachment 457743View attachment 457744
View attachment 457745
View attachment 457746
Hello @cavedweller

All three work and are correct for their purpose.

1) Wood is beautiful, period. It makes a gun look like a gun in a manner that nothing else can.
2) Synthetic substitutes very well for the “wood look”, (shape), and keeps the cost down and allows to be handled without a big concern for some scratches, etc.
3) Aluminum / alloy, Super strong, light weight and allows almost an unlimited amount of adjustments.

Just my opinion,
ThomasT

Hello @cavedweller

All three work and are correct for their purpose.

1) Wood is beautiful, period. It makes a gun look like a gun in a manner that nothing else can.
2) Synthetic substitutes very well for the “wood look”, (shape), and keeps the cost down and allows to be handled without a big concern for some scratches, etc.
3) Aluminum / alloy, Super strong, light weight and allows almost an unlimited amount of adjustments.

Just my opinion,
ThomasT
However, its the Indian not the arrow. Nothing beats walnut and deep blueing for beauty. Synthetics are great for hunting except they are noisy. Someone else can have all the rest.

Well, I think it is a "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" thing as arguments can be made for metal, wood (natural or laminated) or synthetic stocks.

Being a old guy I have a strong preference for traditional walnut stocks but in recent years I grudgingly admitted that the low maintenance of a synthetic has its benefits. Metal and laminated stocks are more stable so in high precision, competitive environments they do have their good points.

So which is more beautiful, organic or technical, a horse or a motorcycle, wood or not?

I make my own wood stocks so I can explore all kinds of things. Made a fancy and functional stock for my AR20. My Impact and Panthera have wood parts because I feel that an all metal gun is missing "something". 🤔

Hard question with no real answer. Everyone will have their own preferences.
Cheers!

12-18-18-03-AR20.jpg

20231214_185656.jpg
20231214_185407.jpg

Well, I think it is a "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" thing as arguments can be made for metal, wood (natural or laminated) or synthetic stocks.

Being a old guy I have a strong preference for traditional walnut stocks but in recent years I grudgingly admitted that the low maintenance of a synthetic has its benefits. Metal and laminated stocks are more stable so in high precision, competitive environments they do have their good points.

So which is more beautiful, organic or technical, a horse or a motorcycle, wood or not?

I make my own wood stocks so I can explore all kinds of things. Made a fancy and functional stock for my AR20. My Impact and Panthera have wood parts because I feel that an all metal gun is missing "something". 🤔

Cheers!

View attachment 457778

View attachment 457779View attachment 457780
Hello @Vana2
OK you are cheating when you show that outrageous beautiful stock (y) (y) (y) :love::love::love:, NEW VOTE from me ,,,, WOOD WINS ..... hands down. That is just crazy beautiful 🤩

ThomasT

Cheers!

View attachment 457778

A Beautiful and quite unique stock on the AR20!!
Never seen the likes before....Gorgeous!!

View attachment 457741View attachment 457742View attachment 457743View attachment 457744
View attachment 457745
View attachment 457746
Holy Farris focus wheel Batman!

I prefer walnut myself. Every gun I've had that was synthetic or plastic has been sold. Barring powder guns that is. I view those as tools and my air guns are more of the hobby side and I shoot them far more than my firearms. I'd put wood stocks on my AR15s if they didn't look stupid with them lol.

There is no stock more beautiful than a natural wood, that said I do like the weight and feel of the synthetic stocks FX came out with like on the Bobcat and Wildcat. Laminates are what I call faux wood, also beautiful but not quite the same as a natural wood's beauty. BTW I own all 3 types and an Impact.

Dunno that I can back up my claim, other than simple personal preference....but these three happen to be my favorites....a bit of a trend there. Although I find it interesting that I profess to be a sucker for laminate, but not one of these three is laminate.....

I quoted Henry Ford a while back, in regards to my rifle preference.....
View attachment 457747View attachment 457748View attachment 457749
In thinking you’re all about that tactical thing?
Perhaps functional form?

Last edited:
Reactions: .20calguy

Cheers!

View attachment 457778

Holy amazing wood work Batman!!!
Nothing short of wowza!

Cheers!

View attachment 457778

beautiful work ! really love the first two pictures .

Reactions: cavedweller