Wood stock V Laminate stock V Synthetic stock V Metal stock

The stock depends on the gun and its usage. Metal, laminate or wood could be dictated depending on environment, usage, and the gun.

The ergonomics discussion is almost laughable. Custom stock fitting for not only ergonomics but accuracy goes back over a hundred years. Purdy shotgun stock fitting comes to mind but if you Google custom stock fitting the plethora of custom stock fitting options from many gun stock makers offer is now the norm. You need to be there in person for a true custom stockmaker to fit your custom stock for your gun.

There is a reason for this.

Reactions: cavedweller
I like to be comfortable when I shoot so I like my stocks to fit my long body with oversized hands. Stock fitting is most important with shotguns. There is no scope and there wouldn't be time to use one if you had one. If the stock doesn't fit you would have a hard time looking down the barrel properly and quickly each shot. For our air rifles with scopes, the fit is not as critical to shooting well but it can help us get on target quicker. I also find I shoot better when the length of pull is right, my face lines up with the scope well, and I can pull the trigger with the last joint of my trigger finger. I do not have to have all these things to make the gun work but I shoot better with these things.

As an example, I shot both my Caiman X and my P35-177 yesterday. I shot the Caiman first and shot better with it than I did with the P35. But shooting the P35 felt better because I made that stock and made it where my finger falls on the trigger where I want it. My Caiman has it's laminated stock that I added a spacer to so the length of pull is good for me. But the grip is still made for people with average sized hands so I am pulling the trigger with the middle of my trigger finger. Not at all impossible but not what I am most comfortable with. I retuned the P35 today and shot a little better with it than my best with the Caiman (despite the 3X price difference). Getting a good stock fit is less important with air rifles than shotguns but it still helps.

Reactions: SpiralGroove
Okay all you wizards of air - looks set aside, which material is the best for our air rifles?

Before you start peeing on each other’s legs with emotional drivel, which is amusing, can you back up your claim?

I’ve heard that the metal chassis stocks “have no soul”. I’ve heard that “plastic stocks will never make serious shooters”. I’ve heard that “wood stocks are just too heavy”.
Me personally - I drool over natures wild wood grain patterns even though I’ve never won the cool wood stock lottery. But I also enjoy a light weight rifle that a little marring doesn’t hurt. It would seem to me that a high degree of adjustability would really improve ANY stock.
View attachment 457741View attachment 457742View attachment 457743View attachment 457744
View attachment 457745
'S View attachment 457746
Wow! What a good-looking collection of air rifles! You said looks aside, but all other things being equal (if it won't hit the point at which it's aimed, nothing else matters) I'll choose wood over other materials every time I have the opportunity. Yes, how it looks matters, but for me personally, I love how nicely finished wood feels too, and while I'm handling a rifle so equipped, I am probably just that much more comfortable with a gorgeous, wood stocked rifle than I am with metal or synthetic materials that it's easier to get and stay in the zone, enough for consistently better, very fine accuracy. I don't know, I could just be full of bean soup about this. After all, I can get incredible accuracy with my no-wood anywhere Crosman custom-shop carbine, with an 18 inch barrel and Williams notched sight, but I just -feel- so much better when shooting an airgun made with beautiful, nicely finished wood that fine accuracy is pretty much a natural, almost second nature side effect. :) For example, my walnut stocked, Crosman C2023 anniversary special, my .177 and .22 caliber Seneca Dragonfly Mk2 rifles, and my CO2 powered Sheridan 2260MB all have gorgeous to very good-looking wood stocks, and they're also four of the rifles with which I always can count on getting exceptional accuracy when needed. Whatever it is, the natural beauty of a well finished, gorgeous grained wood stock on a rifle seems almost to call out to me, to draw me in, and I think there really might be some kind of... maybe placebo-like effect? ... that gives me a tiny edge on comfortable, accurate shooting over those made of other materials. Not that the others can't be gorgeous as well, but ... heck, I don't know. Like I said, I'm probably just full of bean soup. :)

Wow! What a good-looking collection of air rifles! You said looks aside, but all other things being equal (if it won't hit the point at which it's aimed, nothing else matters) I'll choose wood over other materials every time I have the opportunity. Yes, how it looks matters, but for me personally, I love how nicely finished wood feels too, and while I'm handling a rifle so equipped, I am probably just that much more comfortable with a gorgeous, wood stocked rifle than I am with metal or synthetic materials that it's easier to get and stay in the zone, enough for consistently better, very fine accuracy. I don't know, I could just be full of bean soup about this. After all, I can get incredible accuracy with my no-wood anywhere Crosman custom-shop carbine, with an 18 inch barrel and Williams notched sight, but I just -feel- so much better when shooting an airgun made with beautiful, nicely finished wood that fine accuracy is pretty much a natural, almost second nature side effect. :) For example, my walnut stocked, Crosman C2023 anniversary special, my .177 and .22 caliber Seneca Dragonfly Mk2 rifles, and my CO2 powered Sheridan 2260MB all have gorgeous to very good-looking wood stocks, and they're also four of the rifles with which I always can count on getting exceptional accuracy when needed. Whatever it is, the natural beauty of a well finished, gorgeous grained wood stock on a rifle seems almost to call out to me, to draw me in, and I think there really might be some kind of... maybe placebo-like effect? ... that gives me a tiny edge on comfortable, accurate shooting over those made of other materials. Not that the others can't be gorgeous as well, but ... heck, I don't know. Like I said, I'm probably just full of bean soup. :)
I’m in agreement because the more comfortable you are with something the more likely you will use it!

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT