Wood Stock for one of my P35s

I really like my P35s, one in each caliber they are offered in, 177, 22, and 25. They come with plastic stocks that are functional and feel pretty good except the length of pull is at least an inch too short for me. So I made spacers. The resulting stocks are not things of beauty but work fine. My other main hobby is woodworking so I decided to try and make a stock for one of my P35s.

I wasn't sure how this would come out, I mainly make straight things, not something all curved like a stock. So I used scrap I had on hand. I needed a blank 1 5/8 thick, over 5 inches wide and about 24 inches long. I found a piece of 2x6 that was barely long enough but it wasn't thick enough so I split it in two on the bandsaw, cleaned it up on the jointer and glued an old fir drawer side between the 2x6 pieces. When the glue dried I planned it to final thickness, squared it up, and started the inletting. That is the only part where you have to be careful about exact dimensions so the action will fit. The P35 needs a deep mortise 1/2 inch wide for the trigger guard to fit down through + a wider mortise at the back for the action + a semi circular groove for the air tube. And some additional recesses for the clamps that hold the barrel to the airtube to the trigger parts.

Then I sketched the shape that looked good to me on the wood and cut it out with my bandsaw and jigsaw. Then a lot of sanding and I had a stock. A right angle grinder with a flapper wheel worked great on the rough shaping.

The stock came out good enough I plan to use it. It reduces the weight of the gun to under 5 lbs or by about 6 ounces. I don't think this one looks great. The tinted poly I used was another left over I had on hand and I don't love it or hate it. I may just spray paint it black eventually. Future stocks will be hardwood and should look significantly better.

Wood Stock 2.jpg

wood stock 3.jpg

Wonder if this one would bolt up to yours? Might be heavier by looking at the pic.

My guess is it would fit. The price is certainly reasonable too. Beech is heavier than softwood but it would probably only be another ounce or two in weight. It is harder so it wouldn't get dinged as easily. Seems like a reasonable option if they get some back in stock.

Thanks for the kind comments. Next I want to use some hardwood.

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1