• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Wood for the best stock

That's a very subjective question-by best do you mean the prettiest? If so, my vote is for Walnut.
a2350850aae3c72af19c9817fa4db096.jpg

b5e073a449277e2357b0d92d2cc13ad2.jpg

If you mean the most dimensionally stable and least likely to shift point of impact, I vote for a laminate.
Most European made stocks are Beech or Walnut, stocks have been made out of many different types of wood. Mahogany, Maple, Cherry and the exotic tropical species come to mind as well as Redwood and even Pine. If you're considering making your own stock I'd shy away from Oak due to the Tannins in it which could encourage rust.

The effect of the fiddleback in the light is called chatoyancy - cats eye. It's the exact same optical effect as you see in Tigers eye due to the fibers running in differing directions, hence the similarity 👍

I'm from South Africa and some of the woods from here make great stocks. African Rosewood comes to mind. Same family as bubinga. Hellishly strong -close to the strongest wood per unit weight there is - and stable. Looks gorgeous too, with the potential for all of the figure etc you see in walnut. I've was told that the old game rangers in the kruger park used to like to have stocks made of it as it was damned near indestructible. Might be sales talk though!
It's a bastard to work with though. I made a bow riser out of it and it blunts tools super quick - I imagine a stock would be a factor of ten more difficult!

d3999569b6fb6be4f9be4b46f14b5672.jpg

Reactions: mmahoney