• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

wondering why I can't find anything on Elevation Turret Tape

+1 to DonaAna1 comment. A handful of pellets and 30 minutes you can work out your hold overs for a dope card. Intape the card to the stock of the gun.

Center the scope.
I start at 15 yards and shoot a pellet. Count how many clocks it takes to put the crosshair ok the first hole, then send another pellet. Hole on hole, good to go.

Every 5 yards, shoot another sighter, count adjustment and shoot a proof shot.

Repeat every 5 yards. Look at your notes. You will see a pattern. I zero the scope at the apex, the highest point along the curve, then all my adjustments will be for hold over and there is no need to used hold under.

Computer is nice, but I believe in hard data.

You can get little tiny stickers to put on the scope turrets, or you can use masking tape.

ScopeKnob Software
Here is a very elegant program that has a built in exterior ballistic calculator to make the initial marking.
From there you can manually edit it for actual range adjustments.
The program is made by Eric Sanders, an avid FT shooter... He also make elevation turrets and side focus wheels for various popular scopes
Here is a example of a tape I made for one of my elevation knobs I made..
scopeknoptape.jpg

You can also use color in the tape if you have a color printer...

Reactions: JungleShooter
I am just a simple minded guy. I don’t understand what the ballistic programs do for you when you have to go out and verify the zero at every range anyway. Then you have to monkey with the data to make it work?
I zeroed my gun for 50 yards. Then brought it in to 20 and started shooting and verifying in 10 yard increments. As soon as I was happy with the zero at that yardage, i marked the masking tape on my turret. Worked my way out to 150 yards. put some clear scotch tape over the top and you are good to go without any app or computer to mess with your head. Total cost of materials less than a dollar.

Reactions: Smitty911
The program will get your scope within a few clicks of the being right the bullseye...
Some... especially FT shooter what the poi exactly were the crosshairs are..
For hunting.... it almost Perfect for me..... just some a few clicks at the extreme distance...
Yes you will have to change tapes/knobs for specific pellets due to the change of in the BC of said pellet..
For weather ... other than wind.... no major changes

But every shooter has their own preferences... and shooting styles..
Use whatever is comfortable to you....
This is not a Cure All Solution...
Just a Tool

Exactly, and as soon as the weather changes, so does the tape.
That is true! Also changes with projectiles.
I did a poor job of communicating what I wanted to. I did not intend to give a condemnation of using the apps, but my lack of understanding their uses.
My method works for one projectile and my simple needs. If my shots are hitting a little low or high on a given day, I can hold for that. Basically it eliminates large holdovers at extended ranges.

My sincere apology to anyone whose feathers were ruffled by my post.

+1 to DonaAna1 comment. A handful of pellets and 30 minutes you can work out your hold overs for a dope card. Intape the card to the stock of the gun.

Center the scope.
I start at 15 yards and shoot a pellet. Count how many clocks it takes to put the crosshair ok the first hole, then send another pellet. Hole on hole, good to go.

Every 5 yards, shoot another sighter, count adjustment and shoot a proof shot.

Repeat every 5 yards. Look at your notes. You will see a pattern. I zero the scope at the apex, the highest point along the curve, then all my adjustments will be for hold over and there is no need to used hold under.

Computer is nice, but I believe in hard data.

You can get little tiny stickers to put on the scope turrets, or you can use masking tape.
This is very useful info. Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately, I have an old laptop with Win 7, Scope Werks does not work with my device.
Sorry I'm late to the party here, but I just registered so I thought I would address this.

I'm surprised to hear that you are having trouble with it on Windows7. It should work fine. What kind of error messages are you getting? Is it a problem with the installer, or when you go to run the software?