Wondering about Air Arms and BSA Rifles

BSA has geared their brand for mostly the domestic market in the UK is what I've taken away from what I have seen.
My guess is they are happy to fill the area in the market they currently occupy, and don't want to expand. Air Arms makes a quality product and want to keep it that way, and that is how they do it. International business is hard and costly, now more then ever.

Both make very good accurate rifles. So, why don't we see more of them? At matches or for sale, or advertising?
I have both BSA Goldstars and the Air Arms S510 X.
Both platforms are exceptionally accurate and smooth shooters, but, both suffer from left side load ports which is troubling during field target as our ranging wheels make pellet loading more difficult. I liked my BSA’s so much I sent them to a tuner for the works! Eccentric wheels or nautiluses wheels solve loading problems especially when using a good FT routine
IMG_6675.jpeg

IMG_6672.jpeg

Last edited:
Love my R-10 SE in .22. It is all stock, no mods except larger bottle and shoots near one hole groups at 25 yards. Just not AR-15 like, lever action, or sexy. Just works and does what it is designed to do. The US market is wrapped up in the muzzle velocity, FTLBS, and slug weight syndrome. The Europeans are not. Not criticizing anyone, buy what you are comfortable with and enjoy. Note the magazine load on the left and the tuning wheel on the scope. I have no problem with either.

BSAR10.jpeg

Last edited:
I have both BSA Goldstars and the Air Arms S510 X.
Both platforms are exceptionally accurate and smooth shooters, but, both suffer from left side load ports which is troubling during field target as our ranging wheels make pellet loading more difficult. I liked my BSA’s so much I sent them to a tuner for the works!
After using a friend's s510, while it was nice and accurate, the left load was a deal breaker for me.

I have both in .177 shooting HFT and If you are ever at a FT match in Oklahoma or Texas you can shoot either of mine.
The BSA is the se model (affordable rubberized stock) I bought new in 2017 but has the R10 action and trigger group with the hammer forged barrel. The pellet I’ve found it shoots lights out is the H&N Baracuda Match 10.65 4.50. I just recently decided to do a complete reseal and replaced the factory reg with a Huma reg. (super easy gun to work on and service) prior to taking it to the Republic of Texas GP in a couple of weeks. Put it through its paces in a match in Clifton Tx. this weekend. The gun shot flawlessly but I can’t say the same for the trigger man.
My Air Arms is the S500 Gen2 model I bought in 2020. It has the factory preset non adjustable reg and higher pressure rated tube. The gun isn’t so pellet picky as it is pellet speed picky. It recently went back for warranty service (broken hammer guide) and I won’t have back in time to shoot it at the GP.
Both guns have the best triggers I’ve ever squeezed. I get 60 shots on a fill. Neither gun needs batteries.
As for the left side loading port and only on the BSA, I have the JDS Design magnetic wheel system. I range, pop the wheel off, load and shoot, pop the wheel back on. Rinse and repeat.
If you’re interested in either, reach out to me. I’m going a different direction in the 2024 season.

Last edited:
Reactions: cavedweller
In my experience Air Arms have been (relatively) solid shooters straight out of the rack. Never crude, but not cutting edge. Well built and dependable (especially before they started to use ‘ballistic polymer’ AKA plastic).

BSA’s depend on genre and how outsourcing they were feeling at the time. The R10 is a fine looking rifle, and if sent off to Mr Bowkett for a blueprint tickle a fine rifle indeed. Just don’t expect the unboxing-first-string performance they deliver compared to, say, an AA410.

Both are mostly solid and dependable rifles. Fettled they can be as accurate as anything at a 2x price point - and definitely better than anything slimmer wallet friendly.

Reactions: MysticalDragon
Love my R-10 SE in .22. It is all stock, no mods except larger bottle and shoots near one hole groups at 25 yards. Just not AR-15 like, lever action, or sexy. Just works and does what it is designed to do. The US market is wrapped up in the muzzle velocity, FTLBS, and slug weight syndrome. The Europeans are not. Not criticizing anyone, buy what you are comfortable with and enjoy. Note the magazine load on the left and the tuning wheel on the scope. I have no problem with either.

View attachment 403161
I think a Traditional Walnut stock is very Sexy - just not as popular in today's modern (video game) market :unsure:.

Reactions: jps2486