• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Wolverine R review by The Airgun Show

A very nice rifle I have the laminate version and it is a different beast than the wolverine MK 1 and 2 the side leaver makes all the difference. I have put a biathlon lever on mine which makes it even faster to cycle the action. The stock is just about perfect with only one thing I will change I intend to have the cheek peace converted so that it can be adjusted.

abot count is top draw in sub12 foot pounds I’ve managed to push it to 556 with a 220 pound charge.

the only issue I have had is a magazine one mine kept sticking swopedoit out and all is good. Having it regulated makes a hell of a difference.

leople either like or loth Daystate rifle I for one love them and would not hesitate to recommend this rifle.

I was one of the first to get one from AOA. I can say after using it for a few weeks now that all that is said in the video is pretty much spot on. There are a few minor issues that I can bring out though.

The original ads clearly stated the cocking lever can be interchanged. Nothing was said that it can't be done by the user and is only a dealer done option. I am a left hand shooter and would have liked the lever on the left side. AOA told me they should be producing a video that shows how to do it in the near future, but if a user messes anything up, kiss the warranty by-by and it would cost dearly to straighten things up again. I am quite mechanically inclined and looked int changing it, but immediately saw it was way to dangerous to do without assistance.

I have tuned all my spring gun triggers down to ounces. I just shoot better that way. The Daystate R has a trigger tension adjustment, but if you go too light, it will not cock. I could not get the trigger to suit my needs by a simple adjustment. It is amazing what an internal polishing will do to just about any trigger. Nuff said.

The Huggett moderator silences the gun to a point that it is fully back yard friendly if you need the quiet.

I found it not pellet sensitive with H&N Barracuda with head sizes of 450 or 452 mm at 10.5 grains. It also worked well with JSB heavies at 10.34 grain (I think that is the proper number). The Lothar Walther barrel does not have to take a bow to the new smooth twist X barrels at all. In some tests I have seen, it comes out ahead.

Mine is a 177 and you get sick of shooting or run out of pellets well before the air runs out from a full fill..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbIZeBKIXsk

Daystate's rifles are a work of art and this model is no exception, however there are definitely some points of contention that would apply to most, and some personal to me. Their website just sucks, period. They are very expensive. Anything goes wrong with it and I would have to ship it a cross the country on my dime for repairs. This rifle should have come with the shroud included, seems like a bait and switch situation. l much prefer the C model but would be sweet to have it in carbon fiber. And with that kind of accuracy, I would consider the UK version in sub-12. 

I am seriously considering the Daystate R .30 over the Crown as the differences between power and shot counts are closer than ever. Also the stock seems to be nicer and have a longer under bottle shelf. (Meaning less holding the bottle to shoot). My only concern from all the Daystate pictures that the Carbon fibre bottle looks like it connects with the barrel in places. 

"GriffyGriff"I am seriously considering the Daystate R .30 over the Crown as the differences between power and shot counts are closer than ever. Also the stock seems to be nicer and have a longer under bottle shelf. (Meaning less holding the bottle to shoot). My only concern from all the Daystate pictures that the Carbon fibre bottle looks like it connects with the barrel in places.
The Daystate warranty is also 5 times longer than FX.

"Springrrrr"Nope, no connection to the tank with the barrel.
Hi, Great to know as the Daystate Website photos are not the best then. See below
1524871971_15713411625ae3b323aa3d02.39295029_BAC7612B-43C4-45C3-8F51-6128873AC229.jpeg
1524871972_19081982655ae3b3247a55c8.07601225_B6673FDD-FB32-467F-8094-031FBB55F518.jpeg

It doesn’t fully show that the barrel is 100% floating between both images.
Compared to the clearer image from the FX Website:

1524872126_17926078285ae3b3be054657.06372839_4CB0FF7E-5385-4624-8BFD-786567CF2687.jpeg

I had sights on the FX Crown with the new smooth twist X barrel in 177. They haven't come out yet so I assessed the situation.

The FX is adjustable in every direction you can think of. You can change the hammer strike, port and power etc. I got to thinking about that and realized that there is no reason for me to change the power. Give me 900 FPS or there abouts and all is good for me. So I really didn't need or want that adjustment. I looked at Daystate and even though it was considerably more money, I went for it and I am glad I did. The gun is a dream to shoot and the pellets go where you point the gun every time.

The Lothar Walther barrel is every bit as good as the smooth twist X and as previously mentioned, I have seen a vid where the LW barrel tops the ST by a fraction. That could be the shooter, wind or a variety of other things, neither stood out high above the other.

The barrel on these guns does not exactly "float." There is a collar around the barrel at the breech end that the shroud screws on to and about 3/4 up the barrel there is a tuning collar that is moveable. It actually touches the shroud via an "O" ring and if not mistaken, the barrel is tuned at the factory to reduce harmonics. with that collar.

If you need or want silent, get it with the Huggett moderator. That thing shuts the gun up fabulously and again, I repeat myself to make a vital point.

One thing that can be said is that the shroud / barrel combination does not move. It is very secure, unlike the Gauntlet barrel which bounces around like a jumping jack. There is no need to strap the Daystate barrel to the air tank, it holds its own on its own.

I kind of agree with your sentiments regarding the Crown. Although I have a .25 MKII Bobcat and love the fact that I can dial down the power easily (2 settings, High & Low), but what finally put me off was the fact that the Crown is maybe “A Bridge To Far” regarding adjustability, especially as I found out that by extending/retracting the shroud also alters POI. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3joNzmmvo1Q. Yeah, call me lazy but it seems to me that once I find acceptable performance with JSBs, then I will be happy. And so I’ll plump with the Daystater R. The only question left is .30 or .22

Well after a bad start on a range day I finally got to grips with my R type it an amazing weapon system and after putting two tins of pellets through her she has settled down. I started of with some copper pellets that I had been given after watching them bounce of a paper target I got worried about the power so switched over to Bisley mags and had no issues. I moved on to my Timberwolf and had the same problem with the copper ones. In the end I gave up with them and binned them.

back to the R type I have changed the side lever for a custom one that matches the laminate of eBay. It makes it a lost easier to shoot and it makes it a tad faster.
mi could not find any thing to fault on her at all it’s a match made in heaven. As to accuracy it’s spot on it took a while to get on target and zero as it was one hell of a windy day, but once on it stayed on. I shoot through two tins of pellets around about 430 before it started to drop of i thing I would have gotten another 50 to 80 but I filled her out and just kept going.

What would I change possibly nothing apart from the magazine hight but that’s not possible.

That enough for today I’ve got to sort out a poorly MTC scope something has gone wrong with the top turret