• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Wolverine R needs some help

I have a new to me Wolverine R standard in .22. I have an older bolt action Wolverine in .22 and was excited to see how much improvement the Huma regulator would make (plus I like side lever actions). This helped as I had something to compare too. First thing I noticed was how loud the gun was. Found the attached Huggett was actually for a .30 cal.. Luckily I had another in .22 and this did help but still not as quiet as older model. The gun does not have a nice crisp shot cycle and seems to use a lot of air to make 860’s using 18 JSBs. The regulator is set to 155 bar. Completed a shot string today and fairly consistent but only 70 shots from 230bar to off the regulator. Bottle and barrel were cold from so much expanding air. Get a lot more shots at a higher power from unregulated Wolverine. Any suggestions on things to check to improve shot cycle / shot count? I had replaced the breach seal and checked for leaks. The paperwork that came with the gun indicated it was shooting at 33 FPE with 21 g pellets. Was expecting 880 - 890 FPS with 18g. If nothing else, would think the Harper sling-shot system would keep this gun inline with older version. Any ideas? Appreciate any and all help as I hate shipping air guns off for repairs. Cheers. Lonny

Inherently PCP's operate more efficiently at higher pressures at the same power level. Lighter pellets make less power. 18 gr is 85% of 21 gr. 18 gr @ 860~ is 30 fpe, which is 30/33 = 90%. As you drop pellet weight further you'd see even more FPE loss.

155 bar is quite high of a set point for a .22 cal only shooting that fast. I am guessing the rifle has a VERY small plenum? If you could verify its volume that would help you greatly in proceeding to find out whats wrong, because it could be as simple as that...if its not that then the rifle could have very small ports. If not either of those then you're running into an issue like a potential leak at the tp or breech, or some other mishap. Hope others chime in and help. GL

155 BAR seems a bit high for a 22 and I would try 125 BAR and go up from there, you may be wasting air.

The barrel is only 17 inches so if you want more efficiency a longer barrel would be the ticket.

There is a point of diminishing returns... sounds like its well past that point...

A regulator should give you more shots than an unregulated gun...

CA