Wolverine has bite…

Recently bought a Daystate Wolverine R HP .22 off a forum member. He had less than 100 rounds through it.

I got it out for a little pellet testing today. This thing has a pretty hot tune from the factory:

893-896 fps - JSB MRD 25g
970-972 fps - H&N Baracuda Match 21g
1020-1023 fps - JSB 18g
1030-1035 fps - Hatsan Vortex 17.75g

The MRDs shot best, but all shot nice groups at 40 yards - despite the extreme velocities. Its got a LW polygonal slow twist barrel - unique to the HP version of the Wolverine R.

Anyone have any experience dialing down the power on a Wolverine R HP? I may want to do so in the future.

5EA47ED4-574D-4282-85A2-637FA5203620.jpeg

1C9612EA-0548-4145-97F6-1BB995718D26.jpeg

Just sold my sub 12ftlb wolverine R hi lite and got an HP .22 . Put it over the chrono and was well under power at 27ftlb with 25g Jsb.
I found out how to increase the hammer travel , and now at 850fps with the 25s and it’s as deadly accurate as my old gun :)
To adjust the hammer , remove the stock and cock the gun then put the safety on .
You will need a long 3MM Allen key , and I think a 2mm key . Put the 3mm long one through the hole in the centre of the safety , then look in front of the trigger you’ll see the hammer .
Turn the 3mm key until you see a small grub screw . Loosen that , then leaving the key in place , turn the 3MM clockwise to increase hammer throw , or anti clock to decrease .
I found that a full turn at a time would see an increase in speed . Just keep checking it till you get your speed to where you want it .
I had to adjust the reg on my old gun because it had crept up to near 12ftlb . My new gun is set at 160bar , which seems to be the best setting .
Hope this helps ,
Stewart .

Well described, Stewart...
Note that with the Harper system, there are limits in both directions that may seem slightly illogical till you understand how it's derived. From tuning a similar rifle for max velocity w 25.4s, the velocity you have it at is about max. You can decrease it by going clockwise on the hammer travel (shortening stroke) but too far and you'll have no free flight. Going the other way (lengthening stroke) will increase velocity to a point but on the one I tuned, at 890, it was crisp a had a decent number of shots... at 897, it was VERY blatty and wasting a huge amount of air.
By lowering reg pressure and playing with the hammer stroke, you can likely find a very nice tune for about anything below where it's at.
(Just wanted to relate that experience ... they don't have much plenum, so huge power isn't possible )
Very sweet rifles...
Bob

Recently bought a Daystate Wolverine R HP .22 off a forum member. He had less than 100 rounds through it.

I got it out for a little pellet testing today. This thing has a pretty hot tune from the factory:

893-896 fps - JSB MRD 25g
970-972 fps - H&N Baracuda Match 21g
1020-1023 fps - JSB 18g
1030-1035 fps - Hatsan Vortex 17.75g

The MRDs shot best, but all shot nice groups at 40 yards - despite the extreme velocities. Its got a LW polygonal slow twist barrel - unique to the HP version of the Wolverine R.

Anyone have any experience dialing down the power on a Wolverine R HP? I may want to do so in the future.

View attachment 342526

View attachment 342527
Love the look of that Forrester stock!

Reactions: rigbymauser