• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Wolverine and RedWolf? Could they equal one another?

Is the Wolverine the mechanical version of the electronic Red Wolf?

I'm not sure that is fully accurate, but (prior to Delta Wolf) the Wolverine was the top-dog mechanical rifle and the Red Wolf was the top-dog electronic rifle in Daystate's offerings.

But I don't believe that Daystate put the same emphasis on upgrading/modernizing the Wolverine as they did the Red Wolf. Sure, they changed it over to side lever cocking and added regulated versions.

But look at that and compare it to the update/modernization they did to the RW as they were developing it into the Safari model. New, more powerful electronics, ART tuning, etc. Like they maybe felt that the Wolverine was good enough (and it is) as far as they took it, but the RW platform could be taken further.

My Pulsar HP (.177) and Red Wolf HP (65 FPE gun with GC2 (Safari) electronics, .22) are likely the most accurate rifles I own. I also have Wolverines in .177 (std power), .22 HP and .25 HP, and in the accuracy department they are definitely no slouches, but in my hands they are not as precise a tool as the electronic Daystates.

Big difference in the RW vs Wolverine stocks as well. I've got 2XL sized hands, and that Wolverine grip is BIG.

Wolverine triggers are excellent and highly adjustable. But to me the RW triggers are just a hair nicer. But some folks don't like the electronic triggers.

2 different dogs in the same hunt. Accuracy and handling is definitely similar. But the RW was the flagship while the Wolverine was the top model for those who didn't like electronics.

My 2 cents anyway.

Reactions: Tominco
If I explain the difference to anyone I say exactly as the OP questioned, MECHANICAL VS ELECTRONIC, the barrels are indeed the same and are even interchangeable without removing the shroud (as long as you don't want to interchange STD VS HP barrels).

The probe is the same, except for in the WOLVERINE it has a screw attaching to the cocking mechanism, so lever side swap or calibre swap is more complex than with the RW.

As TMH alluded to the RW trigger is just a tad better IMO, probably because it's lighter, or can be made lighter without any safety issues, the stock also seems to be marmite, some love it, some hate it, due to the non adjustable cheek, if DAYSTATE made it with an adjustable cheekpiece that would bring it in line IMO.

Only other difference is the weight, the WOLVERINE is a heavy gun, lovely from the bench but a weight to carry all day, especially in the laminate stock!

Thanks for all of your time and detailed answers. I know the stocks differ too and I didn't mention that in my OP. I guess I really wanted to focus my questions more on accuracy. Given they both (comparing the Wolverine R- HP model vs RW-HP model) share the same ART barrels is there a significant difference in their accuracy, say at 75-100 yards? I realize the RW would have a slight tuning advantage but lets hypothetically say the tunes were very close between the two would one be inherently more accurate? I know it largely comes down to the luck of the draw to hit that magic barrel lottery too. There is also ~$1K difference in price between them so would one see that on paper, say at 100 yds?

I definitely do see a difference in 100 yard accuracy - to the point where I don't even try to shoot my Wolv HP .22 at 100 any more since my RW HP .22 is my most accurate rifle at that distance in my inexperienced hands.

I have found the pellet drop to be much more manageable at 100 in the RW as compared to the Wolv as I'm learning how to shoot at distance (heck, even the 51 yards I have in my back yard range is pretty tough for me right now).

Maybe it is not just power/muzzle velocity but also the slightly better trigger and the shorter lock time of the RW? Since all of my shooting technique errors compound over longer distances, any little differences can help.

As a reference, my RW HP (since it has the GC2 electronics) has a muzzle velocity (on high power) of 1044 fps with JSB 25.39's, and they are accurate at that speed. My Wolv HP's muzzle velocity is 886 fps with the same pellets. The velocity difference will be less in a 'standard-HP' (50FPE) RW HP. With slugs I have to turn my RW down to the mid power level or they start to tumble over 50 yards. But even with slugs my RW HP outshoots my Wolv HP at 100 yards in my hands.

The accuracy is the same with similar setups. The big separator is that the Red Wolf or Safari essentially use the whole bottle as the plenum and the plenum on the Wolverine is relatively small. Using the 22 as an example , pushing 25.4s at 880 is efficient and shoots quite well but 900 is starting to really be an air hog and 920 is about all it can do, even cranking the reg. The Gcu2 in the RW/Safari enables closer to 1100 fps to be possible and is still pretty comfy at 980, which is where mine seems to excell.

One of our members shooting the EFT monthly match in Phoenix didn't want an electronic rifle, so he went the Wolverine route. It's a SHOOTER but he felt at a disadvantage , so had it pushed as hard as it would go. Shot ok but probably was better in its factory setup. Ran across a RW so decided to give in and have it setup and sold the Wolverine to another member. Well the other member ended up better than him in this particular match. Both are VERY good shooters and this match conditions were extreme, but just making the point that they both shoot well, just not the same. In my own experience , the Wolverine is one of the nicest to shoot, overall, and typically very accurate. My wife likes hers more than even her beloved ProTarget, and is very competitive with it .... but it's a different class than what you're asking about.

Just my experiences and observations .

Bob

I guess I was trying to indicate that you can get pretty much equal accuracy in ideal conditions if the pellet is ok staying within the velocity limitations of the Wolverine. The problem is then... "ideal" conditions and "ok within the velocity limitations ". The fellow who bought the Wolverine obviously had wind doping skills and was just fine with the rifles limitations. They were both very accurate rifles.

Not sure why, exactly , but my RW really shoots better with the 25.4s at 980 than at 920. Most that I've set up have been similar.

Bob

If you own a red Wolf and add a Helliboard, I don't think there is much to choose between it and the Delta Wolf. It becomes so adjustable, down to single fps, something you can never do to the Wolverine, so in my book, RW + helliboard trumps just about everything else. And of course the RW has that to die for laminate stock!

That’s more or less what I was interested in hearing . PLUS you can actually buy and own the stuff. I’m not really interested in laying out over $3000 and then waiting for months. 

Owned both. I think accuracy is in the barrel, simple as that. Very different rifles in operation, obviously. The RW stock, with adjustable comb is more accommodating. Electronic triggers are different. I prefer the feel of a good mechanical match grade trigger, which is not the Wolverine, although it is quite acceptable. Both are good rifles, lot of personal preference involved.