• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Wolverine 2 HP HiLite vs Redwolf HP HiLite

Most of you from my previous posts may recognize me as a to date "AA's guy." Owning five of them, I have been very happy with them in all regards. However, I think I want to move up to the next level of performance. My S510 rifles in .22 and .25 produce +/- 25 ft lbs at full power, with optimum groups at 50 yards of +/- 1.25." I am seeking a regulated rifle that will produce consistent +/- 1/2" groups at 50 yards, with +/- 50 ft lbs of energy.

I believe I am focused in upon the Daystate Red Wolf HP Hi Lite or the Wolverine 2 HP Hi Lite. I could be convinced to purchase it in either .22 or .25. All of my current scopes are Hawke Airmax 8-32x50. I am thinking about putting a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24 on whichever rifle I select.

I have an Omega Supercharger Compressor so filling the rifle should not be an issue.

Your thoughts and experiences would be welcome and appreciated.

I am interested in hearing how the Wolverine R is. I shot a red wolf at EBR in .22 and had the highest qualifying score with Shane Kellar. The trigger on the red Wolf is ridiculously good. I also shoot a red Wolf in .177 for field target and have been enjoying it all season. I can’t say enough good things about the It, but I am still curious about the Wolverine R.

1540177307_6343902695bcd3d9bedddc5.72473720_1B1597FE-D501-497F-A8E0-448326F032E5.png

I have a Wolverine R HP in 22 cal. It produces roughly 47 ft lbs of energy stock from factory using the 25.4g JSB Monsters at 920 fps. That being said, it's not particularly fond of any slugs (tried a lot from NSA already). Because it's a hot rod 22 cal, it's limited on ammo choices, mainly the redesigned JSB Monster 25.4g and can shoot the 21.1g H&N/Beeman's fairly well, but not for long range shooting.

I own a fair bit of PCP's (10 total), and if I really wanted 50 ft lbs of energy with 1/2" groups @ 50 yards, I'd opt for a 25 caliber gun. Just plenty more leeway when it comes to power, more ammo choices vs a high powered 22 cal.

To be honest, the benefit of the Red Wolf HP is it's ability to shoot at different velocities, whereas the HP Wolverine is really set to shoot at a certain velocity unless you want to tinker with it and manually adjust the reg and hammer spring, which would imply you'd be willing to take down the rifle to get to the reg in the first place (Wolverine). The Red Wolf is just easier to do that with via built in electronics.

To be honest, the benefit of the Red Wolf HP is it's ability to shoot at different velocities, whereas the HP Wolverine is really set to shoot at a certain velocity unless you want to tinker with it and manually adjust the reg and hammer spring, which would imply you'd be willing to take down the rifle to get to the reg in the first place (Wolverine). The Red Wolf is just (FAR) easier to do that with via built in electronics.

^^^ As I mentioned above, this is why I choose a Red Wolf over the Wolverine R. They are each awesome rifles, but I definitely wanted the ability to quickly and easily select LOW power to sling 18 gr JSBs with very high shot counts.

And then... there is the RW trigger.

If selecting consistently different power levels is not a desired ability, nor is having the RW trigger a high priority, then I'd say the Wolverine R would be an awesome choice and you can save a little money in that choice.

Otherwise, the additional cost of a RW over a Wolverine R is not very much. Once you are at $2100 or $2200 for Wolverine R, then $2400 for a Red Wolf is certainly within reasonable consideration, no?

Or, consider Wolverine R HP for $2300 vs. Red Wolf HP for $2600. $300 difference, a 13% premium for the RW HP vs. the Wolverine R HP. 

If you're counting dollars, and if you shoot a lot, that price difference is equivalent to what... about five to eight weeks worth of 25.39 gr RD pellets flung downstream? (I'm not what I would consider to be a 'heavy shooter' but I consume about 100 pellets a day, that's 16 tins of 200 pellets each per month, about $150 a month. $300 in pellets in 9-weeks?) In that light, and if you can comfortably afford the $2300 for the Wolverine R HP in the first place, then the $300 difference is a relatively small part of the overall picture.

I had a Wolverine R in .22. I didn't keep it, primarily due to the trigger. I call it a very good field trigger. If your main use is hunting, you would probably like it. My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I believe that 11 or 12 ounces was about the minimum on mine. Accuracy was good, and I would have kept it as a hunting rifle. I have no experience with the RW, but the trigger is known as excellent. For more adjustability in a mechanical rifle, the FX Crown might be a good candidate. 

Speaking of triggers, I don’t know what your preference is but the trigger on my Wolverine is very light compared to my other rifles. Pretty much on par with my Taipan Mutant or my previous Kalibrgun Cricket. Almost felt scary to me when I first shot it. But that’s coming from someone who primarily hunts. I like mine a little heavier in the second stage. So trigger weight is very dependent on the end user preference. A hunter like me may say it’s a bit on the light side. A target shooter may say it’s too heavy. Just take trigger reports from any of us with a grain of salt. Just know that it’s adjustable and two stage.