Wobbly Ol’ Man at 10 Meters, Offhand-10 Shots Each

#1 is the FWB 300s with peep sight

#2 Is the Gen I Marauder with 16X Hawke

5F86F9A8-8C19-4E2F-8B2D-85FC3A46D222.1620851945.jpeg

Pitiful!😷

You got me interested so I took my 300s out . Put a target I printed off the internet , labeled as 10 M air gun, nice big bullseye, which turned out to be too large. I'm 75 and getting over cataract surgery, I had my right eye(dominate) done a little over a month ago and the second two weeks ago. I got some inflammation in the cornea on the right eye so every thing looked blurry until just a couple of days ago and still not quite as good as the left, plus about 12-14 years ago I had what they called detached viterous humor first in the right eye then in the left eye about a year later, which left me with thousands of floaters, the largest and worst in my right eye. Well today, I never did hit the what looked like a 1/4" ten ring, kissed the 9 a few times and most were in the 8 ring, lets don't count the flyers , I did keep everything in the black on about a 3 1/2" bull. I really need a smaller bullseye for my double aperture as I was really guessing, could not get the proper white ring around the black bull. I even tried backing off to about 15 yards and it is still too large..

I'm thinking that I may take one target and cut the bullseye out and trim around , then tape it onto a sheet of paper and see how it looks with my sights at 10 meters, and if not good trim another ring off and keep trying until I can get a proper size for the sight. 

You got me interested so I took my 300s out . Put a target I printed off the internet , labeled as 10 M air gun, nice big bullseye, which turned out to be too large. I'm 75 and getting over cataract surgery, I had my right eye(dominate) done a little over a month ago and the second two weeks ago. I got some inflammation in the cornea on the right eye so every thing looked blurry until just a couple of days ago and still not quite as good as the left, plus about 12-14 years ago I had what they called detached viterous humor first in the right eye then in the left eye about a year later, which left me with thousands of floaters, the largest and worst in my right eye. Well today, I never did hit the what looked like a 1/4" ten ring, kissed the 9 a few times and most were in the 8 ring, lets don't count the flyers , I did keep everything in the black on about a 3 1/2" bull. I really need a smaller bullseye for my double aperture as I was really guessing, could not get the proper white ring around the black bull. I even tried backing off to about 15 yards and it is still too large..

I'm thinking that I may take one target and cut the bullseye out and trim around , then tape it onto a sheet of paper and see how it looks with my sights at 10 meters, and if not good trim another ring off and keep trying until I can get a proper size for the sight. 

I still get more enjoyment out of shooting good iron sights than optics. Starting college back in 1963 I was pretty good shooting the Marlin 39a Dad and I had, then I got on the ROTC rifle team and learned position shooting and how to use those double aperture sights and have always liked them for target work, even some plinking on tin cans, ect.

Looks like fun there however pitiful you may think those shots are, hehe. Love irons and offhand; brings one back to the basics, and forces you to apply all you learnt/know about shooting to hit the target at whatever age and/or where one's vision is at (obviously to a limit of course). Anyway you've got me parading my hw77 around the house...(waiting for my rechargeable flashlight to charge up so I can turn my indoor to daylight) Only way I can see the target somewhat clear at 10meters. Happy shooting!

I'll have to try this with my HW30 & the Williams peep site it came with. 

Developed some inner ear issues back in October that have really affected my shooting. Vision goes in & out of blurry & I'm constantly dizzy. I have found that setting my scope to 1x makes the wobbles less noticeable so maybe peep sites will help. 

Old age sure makes some of our hobbies & pursuits much more difficult. I think I am going to try to shoot more offhand. If I remember correctly that is the way most of the old Schutzan matches were shot.

Uh Frank, I'm not sure what you think is 'wobbly' about that. I think you're most of the way there. What you've got going on is two slightly different positions. Both consistent. Now you just need to be able to park one group on top of the other with just one position. I'd love to try to be able to help you get this ironed out if we could. I will be back down at Concord before too long, probably on an air gun Friday. 

Good shooting. It's always refreshing to see someone testing his marksmanship, and not merely his equipment. Many of our air rifles are ill equipped for any type of position shooting, but I always have at least one that can be pressed into service when I'm feeling especially adventurous. I wouldn't dare post my targets, but I can say, most of them can be used again! I used to do a little service rifle shooting, nothing competitive, but enough to give me a true appreciation for folks who can really shoot. 

#1 is the FWB 300s with peep sight

#2 Is the Gen I Marauder with 16X Hawke

5F86F9A8-8C19-4E2F-8B2D-85FC3A46D222.1620851945.jpeg

Pitiful!😷

Your two groups look very similar between the two rifles and sights vs. scope. That shows a consistency that I find impressive. Attached below are four standing targets I shot on Tuesday evening with our air rifle group at the range. On target 1, you can see my sighter bull in the middle with a penny to compare. Your groups look a lot like my sighter group (only better), so I would say keep it up!

Stand12.1620909060.JPG
Stand34.1620909078.JPG

Good shooting. It's always refreshing to see someone testing his marksmanship, and not merely his equipment. Many of our air rifles are ill equipped for any type of position shooting, but I always have at least one that can be pressed into service when I'm feeling especially adventurous. I wouldn't dare post my targets, but I can say, most of them can be used again! I used to do a little service rifle shooting, nothing competitive, but enough to give me a true appreciation for folks who can really shoot.

I'll second that! 👍

Would be fun to have a permanently posted, 'Wobbly Ol’ Man' thread. 10shot string; 10meters simple distance; 10meters open-sight and/or offhand challenge fun. One for pistols/ one for rifles. Everyone can def benefit with back-to-basics fun.

There has been a thread like this going for almost 6 1/2 years on Rimfire Central in their Air Rifle section. Something interesting from the data there, it doesn't seem to make any difference in scores between iron sights vs. scopes so the moderator quit distinguishing between the two, though that could be due to the small number of participants. The smallbore offhand thread (at 25 yards and 50 yards) does distinguish between irons vs. scopes and there are higher scores with the scopes in that monthly match.