• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Wobbling while shooting with pistol

Hi guys, let me tell my story and see if someone can help... :)

I bought a Crosman 1322 a little while ago and start shooting, I really like the gun but the standard rear sight is terrible and I end buying a pistol scope (Gamo 2,5x20).

Last saturday I were at the range zeroing the scope (@ 10m or 32ft). I did pretty well resting the gun but when I tried without resting the gun the result was terrible, the shoots were all over the 7 ring (I was wobbling all around the target).

So in resume is, how to manage with the wobbling while shooting pistol (or even riffles) when using scopes ?

By the way, when I was using the open sights I didn't have this "problems".

Thanks !!

Shoot quicker don't hold too long and don't expect to be perfect. Aim at your target and when you are on start squeezing the trigger more times than not you will hit the target. The more magnification the easier to see you are not steady don't worry you will move in a figure 8 try and keep it as close as possible. I find it easiest to come from underneath the target to aquire the shot and you need to get it off in about 5-8 seconds after that the woble gets worse.

I love standing open sites with a pistol.

Mike

Sounds like a practice issue to me, but small movements turn into a much larger movement when you are looking through a scope as it takes a bit more concentration. This means you are holding at ready longer which causes fatigue faster due to the weight of the gun. 

This is my 100% unscientific approach and thought on it. I could be way off base here. 

Are you shooting with 1 hand or 2 ? Make sure the eye relief on the scope is at the correct length for your stance, you should have a full field of view with crisp reticle definition at your comfortable extension length, without pushing or pulling to see clearly, if it's not right, you will wear yourself out before you get the shot off. Focus your vision on the reticle not the target, just like you would the front sight. Breathe, relax, and dry fire the heck out of it, in your stance, at the correct target, as close to the proper range as you can get. Good luck, have fun! 

I have the 1322. I got mine for a quick sparrow dispatcher from kitchen (little awkward to run through the house with a rifle so I keep it on top of my frig). The factory sight is horrible. The trigger is horrible. The gun is dead nuts accurate if you can just hold the thing still on target. I started with the steel breech kit and then mounted a cheap cheap 8 dollar scope. The problem, and ultimately the solution, rested in the fact that the scope only had about 3 inches of eye relief. Because of the short eye relief I could not hold the gun as a pistol. Instead I folded my left arm and grabbed my right so I could use my elbow area for a steady base and hold the gun close to my body. That made for a steady picture. Now, the next hurdle was the damned trigger. It is creepy, stiff, and just about every other adjective I could apply to a poor trigger. I could hold dead on on a target and slowly squeeze the trigger with brain crushing concentration and it would take a full 10 seconds to get the trigger to finally travel far enough to let one fly. After a few hundred shots I got the trigger down. I now get a shot picture in the scope and know that I have a few millimeters of creep before I really get to the break point. That is when I get back on target and slowly apply pressure until it breaks. I now can hit a dime consistently at my 11 meter mark. Sometimes miss the opportunity to take the shot because it takes too long to set up the trigger for the shot (bird flies away or moves while I am trying to get through the take up on the trigger), but I am now comfortable that the wobble is "controlled" and my accuracy is fine. The grip on the gun is too narrow too. So I had to learn how to grip the pistol consistently.
There are so many things about this pistol that lead to poor accuracy. but the gun itself can be very accurate. There are plenty of people out there that get the triggers better and I have even seen complete trigger upgrades. But the key is practice and learn the gun. There is a reason it is under 70 dollars but I am happy with mine because it does its job now. For a long time I shot off a rest I had set up and clamped the barrel down with my fingers and basically touched nothing but the trigger. That worked great except the trigger sucked so bad that the cross hairs still wanted to pull even while holding the gun down against the rest.
Good luck with yours and take your time. It is like trying to drive a truck down the road at high speeds with wobbly wheels. After you do it long enough you start driving strait and learn to compensate. If nothing else it makes shooting my rifles a cinch.

With open sites your still have the wobble. The sights are not as fine so you are focusing on the target and do not notice, even with fine sights. With a scope, even a low power one, the cross hair comes to a distinct point on top of your target and any little movement is completely noticeable. Now with a 4 power it is hugely noticeable. Crank it up to 8 or 9 and that little wobble covers much more of your vision. Do the same thing with 0 power open sights when you are focusing on target and you won't even see it.

Personally I think you just need to learn good grip for pistols. Look up a modified isosoles stance and I would recommend removing the scope. If you really need it buy a cheap red dot. Or replace the sights. If they suck. You can usually find replacements. My neighbor has one of these and he uses it to pop the ground squirr me when ever he is on his mower mowing his yard. For some reason they get curious and come up when mowing.