• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Wither Goes The World of Air Gunnery ?

As a new observer it looks to me like the world of airguns is moving at breakneck speed. So many offerings from so many companies and the big boys have so many models. I would think such a market is due for a shake out. Unless the user base is growing exponentially as well. Seems to me there are too many choices and not enough choosers. Perhaps some thinning of the herd is in the offing.

I also detect some significant dissatisfaction within the dark side with the distribution chain as it now exists. Seems not to be a healthy market but rather a bit monopolistic. This is creating openings for small manufacturers and new retailers.

The two 800 pound gorillas in the market don't look all that good as well. One puts up an explosively innovative new design ... that seems to require owners to be air gun tuners to keep it operating. The other decides to go space age electronic and it would appear nobody wants to play that game.

Obviously air guns are a burgeoning phenomenon. All it took for me was to get a Wildcat in my hands and I was hooked. Deep. It's a wonderful world and I expect it to get better but we are living in 'interesting times'.

MOD EDIT: Moved to General Airgunning 

Reactions: harrybarker
I agree. I'm not into tinkering with my guns and will not likely try an Impact until whatever kinks are left over get worked out. Also, the idea of having electronics in guns is actually a turn off for me. I spend a lot of time reading about various guns from different manufacturers and maybe I'm doing myself a disservice, but I haven't spent 5 minutes reading about a single electronic gun. I'm not sure where the disconnect is for me but I just can't bring myself to be interested. With how accurate and capable mechanical guns are, I guess I just view the extra electronics as more of a liability than an asset. If there was some kind of benefit to better accuracy, maybe I'd check it out, but I can't see that being the case at this point in their development.

That being said, I think you're right, we are living in very interesting times for the development of air guns and even if it turns out to be something that I don't want, I'm really interested to see what's next.

To me, the least desirable aspect of the airgun world is the distribution/service chain. The guns are going to break or need overhauling. The stupid trigger linkage on the Wildcat is a case in point. I, like you Cliff do not care to tinker with these guns. I just want to send them to a very reliable, very efficient service center and get them back quickly. I don't think we have this at present. AoA is trying to be that place but 'that place' would need a good ten thousand square feet of shop and at least 20 technicians. If not more.

Personally I'm researching the new guys on the block that are 'trying harder'.

"Cliff_Allen"... Also, the idea of having electronics in guns is actually a turn off for me ... I'm not sure where the disconnect is for me but I just can't bring myself to be interested.
This is how I feel. I love the modern PCP air guns - they are wonderful things. But I have no interest in electronic anything on my rifle. I don't even like illuminated reticles in my scope. LOL

And I agree with you, Neuces. There seem to be a whole lot of choices out there, in a market I just don't see being very big here in North America, BUT, I'd assume this is just us benefiting from the years of developments from Britain/EU and other places that are not as lucky as us in their access to firearms.

Well, maybe.

I do not know the technology behind Daystate's valving, but I got the impression it was a piezo stack like those used in GDI vehicle engines. Nice thing about piezo stacks, is their timing is VERY precise, and they can take really high pressure (≥1,500+ bar). Assuming that is what they use, computerization would allow very little variance in velocity, at least that caused by changes in pressure. We can be old fashioned, which is fine. But I believe the handwriting is on the wall.

Between Youtube and to a lesser extent TV, the word about modern air gunning is getting out. With casual shooting spots drying up due to noise, range fan, insurance costs etc. more shooters will be moving to air gunning. All it takes is one in a circle to get bit by the bug and infect the rest. Hopefully some of the more affordable manufacturers will keep on intro models on and lower the price as tooling costs will be paid out. It would help if 300 bar air were more widely available. Perhaps some places will offer high pressure nitrogen fills to avoid the expense of compressors and tanks. More entertaining toys like reliable full auto guns (20 ft. lb) would be hard to resist.

"Dan25"Between Youtube and to a lesser extent TV, the word about modern air gunning is getting out. With casual shooting spots drying up due to noise, range fan, insurance costs etc. more shooters will be moving to air gunning. All it takes is one in a circle to get bit by the bug and infect the rest. Hopefully some of the more affordable manufacturers will keep on intro models on and lower the price as tooling costs will be paid out. It would help if 300 bar air were more widely available. Perhaps some places will offer high pressure nitrogen fills to avoid the expense of compressors and tanks. More entertaining toys like reliable full auto guns (20 ft. lb) would be hard to resist.
Good thoughts. Price coming down is essential if air gunning is to ever really be mainstream. If my powder shooting friends knew how much I paid for my Wildcat, scope and moderator they would laugh themselves silly. Until the dark side takes your soul you just don't get it. You can't get it.

It remains however that we are paying way too much to play. Somebody like Crossman should be able to knock out a Wildcat for $500. It is a testament to the wildly huge fun factor of air guns that they've got so many of us spending ridiculous amounts of money on these guns and even eager to jump on every latest greatest model to come out.

I really don't see the costs coming down. Why would they? The dominating players in this industry have us by the short hairs and they surely know it. There's hope I suppose. Crossman could wake from it's senile dream state. Somebody else could jump in and get the chinese to make really good guns. They CAN do it. Many brands have forced the chinese to make great products. Nikon scopes for instance. Or iPhones. Many many others.

I'm so old into airguns that I remember all new airguns on the market ( well 99%) worked right the first time and could be expevted to last 10 + years before even an o-ring needed replacement and customer service ruled! You could buy an Axor rifle labed RWS or FX, same with some theobem and other models but not matter dervice was there is needed but generally wasn't.
As far a firearm prices vs airgun, really depending on if there can plinkers , causal hunters (?) or "serious shooters" ( = 1,000's pf shots fired often ) . I met a shotgunner last weekend at a FT match, he was looking for a new sport after shooting shotguns for many years. Topend airguns are VERY inexpensive compaired to trap & skeet. The same can be said for most all rifle competition rigs & ammo.
Sure if your happy ( and I can see it ) with the performance of a box stock 10/22 with who cares what ammo , airguns are expensive indeed ( tho you could get a Benjamin discovery ) but any PB type who demands tiny little holes , airguns are low cost.
WE just need to recruit more people, and guide them past uninformed mistakes in purchase. Plenty of room to grow and I fins airguns a fairly easy sell to any PB typoe wanting extreme accuracy.

John

My 2 cents 
I think the airgun world is growing very fast. More and more people are turning from owning powder burners and rairly shooting them.
To airguns that they can shoot in the basement or back yard. 
The quality of airguns is great. A lot of people like to tinker. Some don't and that is fine. Bottom line is ,this is an opertunity to make a lot of money. Employ a lot of people with a skilled trade and save gun shops and gun ranges from going away due to regulation and general firearm bias in the general public and media.
We are in an interesting time indeed. And full of opertunity. I hope the most can be made of it.