With what airgun(s) do you get your best accuracy?

That is VERY good luck indeed! Wish I'd moved back out in the country, before home prices went totally insane, which my wife and I talked about often, but lazily didn't get around to doing. Backyard shooting in an in-town townhouse subdivision doesn't seem particularly conducive to long-distance work, and folks with kids playing out in the adequately large, public-use area available to residents probably wouldn't really like me setting up there either... ;-)
I live in a condominium, totally understand. Unable to shoot outside without a lot of planning. I shoot in my basement, I have 27 feet with a pellet trap. Duct seal is your friend for indoor ranges.

Have you thought about joining a local shooting range or club? I belong to a local club, it is the best backyard ever. They have everything from archery to trap and skeet shooting. Took my 30.06 out to the 600 yard range this year, that was a hoot.

Spent the afternoon shooting archery and 10 Meter pistol indoors at the clubhouse. Best membership money ever spent.

Depends on what I’m trying to do. I have a Benjamin Trail that will split cards. I have an AR2078A with peep sites that will shoot into an inch handheld at 15 meters on a good day and an Anschutz that will shoot half inch or smaller on a good day. I have four or five that will hit 1” spinners at 30 meters and chase cans all over the place. I’m very fortunate to have quite a few air guns from new to classics that are fun to shoot.

Rick H.

At the bench my .177 HW100 BP-K outshoots all my other guns with the .22 Daystate regal coming in 2nd. Off hand shooting the .22 Brocock Contour. I shoot this gun at least 10x more than all the others combined. The HW30 comes in 2nd.

P9160151.JPG

That AEA is one gorgeous rifle! Wow. Other than accurate shooting at those distances, have you taken any game (deer, ?) with it? You're already shooting at a distance within which you realistically could take advantage of the capability. I could put meat on the table for dinner with most of my pumpers, but you could put meat in the freezer with your beautiful beastie! :)
Thank you bubbapearson: I live in N.Y State and you can't hunt deer with pcp. I agree, it will take deer out 100 plus meters. Soon I'll be testing 204gr flat face at 4500 psi, I'm hoping for 340 fpe. you must have some nasty pumpers:oops:.

Reactions: bubbapearson
At the bench my .177 HW100 BP-K outshoots all my other guns with the .22 Daystate regal coming in 2nd. Off hand shooting the .22 Brocock Contour. I shoot this gun at least 10x more than all the others combined. The HW30 comes in

I live in a condominium, totally understand. Unable to shoot outside without a lot of planning. I shoot in my basement, I have 27 feet with a pellet trap. Duct seal is your friend for indoor ranges.

Have you thought about joining a local shooting range or club? I belong to a local club, it is the best backyard ever. They have everything from archery to trap and skeet shooting. Took my 30.06 out to the 600 yard range this year, that was a hoot.

Spent the afternoon shooting archery and 10 Meter pistol indoors at the clubhouse. Best membership money ever spent.

I'm disabled, and after... whoa, 45 years since discovery of an incurable, super-rare debilitating disorder, I'm finally closing in on no longer being ambulatory. My wife and I plan on more seriously working the problem when the weather turns, so at least we hope to get me outside more often. That should give me another few feet of distance, at least! ;-) Thanks for all the great suggestions, though. 'Got me curious, and checking around turned up a gun shop with a range just a couple of miles from my home, and incredibly, the guy has a big sub-business in airguns as well! Now the spousal unit is making a big noise about joining up being the goal to shoot for (sorry! <grin>), so fingers crossed. :) Thanks again for the suggestions.

Reactions: maxtrouble
Just got my first ever springer purchase checked out, thoroughly cleaned and ready for shooting. Over the past weekend, I found a very sweet, sub-fifty bucks deal online for a Diana P-Five air pistol and <ahem> pulled the trigger on it. I'm glad I did, as it turned out to be a great buy!

Pow! Even knowing about it beforehand, the 'kick' of my first shot still was a pretty big surprise, but it was only off about an inch low and to the left, due more to the surprise of being mentally ill-prepared than anything else. After some deep breathing and getting more of a grip, my next shot proved the little pistol already had been sighted in for thirty feet. It was unexpected, but very nice! After all, with somewhere around thirty airgun purchases over the past half-decade or so, this is only the second time ever that a new airgun arrived pre-zeroed for a 'standard' shooting distance. I could get used to it very easily.

Even with the expected springer kick, just a little more practice proved my P-Five to be surprisingly accurate in general, enough that now I'm seeing my new air pistol as a great little knock-around target shooter & plinker, and probably a base starting point for some home-grown modifications (adding a shoulder stock absolutely, and from there, I'll just have to see what happens). :)

Since the days of stone knives and bearskins, when I was initially introduced to shooting as a young child, I haven't been all that big on handguns of any sort. Now though, I'd have to admit that my new Diana springer is every bit as much fun and reliably accurate as any of my zero-recoil (and lower fps) Crosman or Umarex variable pumpers or Crosman CO2-powered pistol. Actually, from my admittedly limited early experiences, I wasn't much of a fan of spring or gas-piston powered break-barrels in general, whether pistol or rifle. With more recent (and extended) experience however, the lower-fps (around 400) and typically reasonable prices of break-barrel pistols is looking better to me all the time, and hey, there's a whole new world of rifles available out there too! Hmm... I might have to grudgingly admit it's about time to do a fine-tuning of some old and possibly outdated opinions. :)

Is Crosman a good for a beginner?
I think Crosman makes some of the best airguns for beginners, although my personal preferences for a complete beginner would be either the Daisy 880 or its big brother, the Winchester 77xs (or 1977xs, as it's also known).

As for Crosman airguns, like the Daisy (and the Winchester) companies, making airguns for beginners is pretty much a specialty, as they have many different models and offer fewer high-end, higher-powered airguns (although they do make some finer, higher-quality products well worth owning). In my opinion, the Crosman 362 in .22 caliber is an exceptionally good air rifle, suitable for beginners that already have some rudimentary experience. Also, the price is very good, considering what you get for your money (a very good quality, robust, accurate and easy-to-use air rifle). It's a bit more powerful (and dangerous, consequently) than lower powered .177 caliber airguns, but the 362 also is very capable of small animal hunting and pest elimination (birds, mice/rats, squirrels, bunnies and similarly sized critters), as well as being excellent for target practice. It's easy to use and maintain, but probably is a little more gun than really necessary for an absolute beginner with no prior experience.

If you are looking for something for the complete newcomer, with no prior experience whatsoever, I would highly recommend the Daisy or Winchester mentioned earlier, or the Crosman Legacy 1000 and/or Crosman Classic 2100B. Both are practically the same airgun with slightly different looks, and both are quite good air rifles, but in my experience, they can be a bit tougher to pump up to full power (12 pumps) for smaller, less-muscular beginners, although strong youths and teens should be up to the task. However, for easier pumping with almost the same power and overall ease of use, you might go with something like the Crosman M4-177, which shoots with about the same strength, but requires only 10 easier pumps for full power, and a younger shooter in particular might really like the fact that it's a copy of the venerable M4 (AR-15) assault rifle. It does require some more exacting attention to detail for general use however, so that could be an issue as well for an inexperienced newcomer. However, all of the Crosman (and other) airguns mentioned should be able to handle the elimination of smaller pest animals within about 15 to 20 yards, and the .177 caliber pellets typically are cheaper and easier to find in stores than pellets for .22 caliber airguns, although I have no trouble finding what I need online. Lastly, tons of fun and with slightly less power, the Crosman American Classic air pistols (they make both .177 and .22 caliber models) can be a great choice for newbies, and for even more fun and utility, they can be purchased with the Crosman shoulder stock that will turn them into very short carbine 'rifles,' which are about the perfect size for younger, smaller beginners in particular, although they're accurate, so much fun and so easy to use, they're great for all airgun enthusiasts from beginner to expert! :)

Feel free to contact me for more detailed information or other recommendations if you'd like. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: tiwanams