• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

With all the aftermarket "add ons" available for FX, why is it this is not a easier option to get yet?

I realized today that there is a ton of things available to the impact to make the impact more suit our shooting style. Like making the impact lighter easier to carry, less impact, and quiet for pest control, larger bottles, smaller bottles, more for bench rest, shooting paper, or another way for hunting larger game.

I would think by now, with the airgun knowledge out there it would be as easy to go online to utahairguns.com, pyramydair.com, or whatever to get a custom fitted Lothar Walther, CZ, TJ or whatever for a impact just like we can get a impact barrel in whatever caliber, length, and type of shooting we do. Right? Says me who has no clue as to what is involved in doing something like this.

Allen

I realized today that there is a ton of things available to the impact to make the impact more suit our shooting style. Like making the impact lighter easier to carry, less impact, and quiet for pest control, larger bottles, smaller bottles, more for bench rest, shooting paper, or another way for hunting larger game.

I would think by now, with the airgun knowledge out there it would be as easy to go online to utahairguns.com, pyramydair.com, or whatever to get a custom fitted Lothar Walther, CZ, TJ or whatever for a impact just like we can get a impact barrel in whatever caliber, length, and type of shooting we do. Right? Says me who has no clue as to what is involved in doing something like this.

Allen
agreed, custom barrels probly same cost of fx barrel kits that average $300. or more, need more barrel options.

Allen
Utah does all customizations in their custom shop from my understanding (never used it before)

I can't understand why there isn't a huge market for aftermarket barrels. I think a good one piece LW or similar barrel would outperform and eliminate a lot of the woes of the FX system. Of course, I wouldn't want to disturb the FX marketing plan.....
Well, if this was true one wonder why FX went down the liner route in the first place, and why it has been so successful. I suspect that it is a myth that “a good one piece LW or similar barrel would outperform“ the FX system. As for “woes” I currently have a whole bunch of FX rifles (Impacts, Crowns, Wildcat MKIII BT and Dreamline) and have had others in the past. No woes on any of them.

I also suspect that the aftermarket is likely to NOT be cheaper than FX. Certainly my experience has been that much of the aftermarket stuff is as expensive, if not more so, than the OEM FX stuff.

The barrel thing is a double edged sword. I have never been a fan of the complex FX barrel system but once I started putting traditional barrels on my Impacts, some things came to light. Number one is weight. When I slid a real barrel into my 600mm Impact, I immediately noticed the difference when I picked the gun up. From the bench? No big deal. Going hunting with the gun? I feel like if the barrel stays, I need to find a lighter scope. Next is if you select a real barrel for slugs, your gun could wind up a one trick pony. It’s weird but with what FX offers, all you need are two straws to slide in the barrel housing to cover a wide berth of shooting various projectiles accurately. I have two Impacts and both are slug only. I can confidently say that my 500mm compact .22 will never wear a real barrel. The jury is still out with my .25 600mm. I could write another paragraph about pros and cons. I will just say this. The FX barrel system is best for the masses. Machining real barrels, because you really have to do it projectile specific if you want to reap the benefits, should be left to an individual basis. Not mass produced. You would have a lot of unhappy campers. What FX offers may lack rigidity, but it makes up for it in forgiveness in a couple areas.

I'm sorry that maybe I've misled you. You are right, the Impact and Crown rifles in 22, 25 and 30 caliber are accurate shooters I have four of them and like them. However, I have a .177 and can't make it shoot, particularly with slugs. I have three different barrels that I've tried and they lead up heavily after 100 shots. This caliber is the weak sister at FX, IMO, and not much developement has gone into it. Most of you guys want bigger, heavier, faster and that's ok. Yup, some of you will say that your .177 shoots well. Good for you, but you won't see them competing with other rifles on the competition circuit. There, RAW, Thomas, Steyr, AA and Daystate seem to predominate.

Reactions: jayr
When I put a real barrel on my compact which is a 500mm, the little gun became a porker also. It never shot light slugs any better than the FX barrel did so off it came. Ounces on a gun is a bigger deal than some realize. I was never fond of toting around my Taipan. Great shooter, just an awkward gun. Dairyboy motivated me to try a lighter smaller scope. Only a couple ounces shaved but I like the gun much more now. I’m using a 600mm fx barrel on my RTI right now. It’s longer than the stock CZ but the gun is lighter and feels like a different gun. Just food for thought.

Reactions: L.Leon
what were the specifics on it , was it made from a previous made barrel or a blank? how long did it take and how much were you charged for it.
I assume he used a blank that was on hand, don't think he would have had an HW100 barrel in the shop. It's been several years, but I believe he had the rifle a week or so. I sent it to him to evaluate the accuracy problem. Once I told him to do the barrel job, he got it done quickly. I believe the barrel and labor charge was $250-$300, but again, it's been several years and I can't remember specifically. I had previously returned it to the dealer. They recrowned the barrel and said it was fixed. But it did nothing. The gunsmith to whom I then sent it examined it with a scope and sent me some pics. The factory barrel was a mess at the choked part of the barrel near the muzle, looked like some type of machining damage. At that point, I wasn't willing to deal further with the dealer, or to try going directly to Weihrauch, so I paid for the barrel job.

My reply is more of a question then an answer. An FX Impact adjusted properly with the factory barrel can drive tacks at a hundred yards, why would you want to change it?
I think you mean a "good" factory barrel. Lets face it, not all straws are tack drivers... :ROFLMAO:

I have 3 FX air guns and not one was tuned to my satisfaction when I received them. is that what you are referring to or is there something in the barrel you are disappointed with?
I have no idea how the FX factory sets up these guns as far as pellet type and optimum settings. Fortunately, we have good dealers who will set them up the way you want it. That remains a problem for the neophyte who has no idea about this stuff.