Wish I had gotten one of these doohickies sooner

A friend of mine found this old adjustable riser thingamajig laying around and gave it to me. These things are super convient for just using on random surfaces to get bag height just right.
20240314_161721.jpg

Last edited:
I have one and I agree, it can be useful. I like shooting the 30 yard challenge and tried several ways of supporting my gun while shooting this target. I shot a 199 with a front rest that adjusts for windage and elevation and a rear bag. I have also used a rear bag on a lift like this with a bipod. My favorite way to shoot from the bench is with a bipod and a home made monopod in the rear that adjusts for elevation and windage. I don't think I shoot better this way but I I don't shoot worse either and this setup is more portable than my front rest and rear bag. I can easily put the bipod and monopod in the bag with my guns and it adds very little weight. But the main reason I like my bipod/monopod setup is that it is comfortable for me. Others will undoubtedly find other arrangements more comfortable.

I have one and I agree, it can be useful. I like shooting the 30 yard challenge and tried several ways of supporting my gun while shooting this target. I shot a 199 with a front rest that adjusts for windage and elevation and a rear bag. I have also used a rear bag on a lift like this with a bipod. My favorite way to shoot from the bench is with a bipod and a home made monopod in the rear that adjusts for elevation and windage. I don't think I shoot better this way but I I don't shoot worse either and this setup is more portable than my front rest and rear bag. I can easily put the bipod and monopod in the bag with my guns and it adds very little weight. But the main reason I like my bipod/monopod setup is that it is comfortable for me. Others will undoubtedly find other arrangements more comfortable.
I'd use a bipod more if I wasn't shooting springers so often. The couple of PCPs I have I do you bipod with. Theyre just super convenient and hard to beat

A friend of mine found this old adjustabler riser thingamajig laying around and gave it to me. These things are super convient for just using on random surfaces to get bag height just right.
View attachment 445645
Also known as a..."lab" (laboratory) jack.
Stable and adjustable in VERY fine increments.

Looks like a nice one. Hopefully it's in good condition, and not worn out.

Mike

Also known as a..."lab" (laboratory) jack.
Stable and adjustable in VERY fine increments.

Looks like a nice one. Hopefully it's in good condition, and not worn out.

Mike
It seems to work great from the 30 minutes I played with it today. For the $20 they seem to cost I'm going to buy a few more for my range bag, home, and truck.

We call those scissor lifts here, i have powder painted some that would jack up a car easy.
I do wonder what such small ones was made for, cant be for dealing with something too heavy to lift.

Also for the DIY metal fabricator or the 3D printing punks it should not be a insurmountable task to make something like this.
Scissor lift, yeah...sort of.
Your automotive "scissor lift" will NOT...provide the level of precision, and stability that a "lab" jack will.

Mike

Reactions: Sqwirl57
Scissor lift, yeah...sort of.
Your automotive "scissor lift" will NOT...provide the level of precision, and stability that a "lab" jack will.

Mike
Actually automotive and motorcycle scissor lifts (very similar design to these,) use BALL BEARINGS to distribute the heavy load, and are extremely pecise,
Overkill for a 10 or 15 pound rifle, but because they utilize ball bearings, they are extremely precise, and very stable too!
Photo:

lift.jpg

Last edited:
Forgot to thank you
A friend of mine found this old adjustable riser thingamajig laying around and gave it to me. These things are super convient for just using on random surfaces to get bag height just right.
View attachment 445645
Thanks for the post ...should have one arriving soon
Mike