• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

***Wish Douger the best this week***

Back in 1998 when I had my first two level neck fusion I was on that pump for like three, maybe four days. When they sent me home they prescribed soma and darvocet.
I refused to take the oral meds, and was in pain. I called my Dr just to check to see if the pain being so intense was normal. He asked if I am taking the meds, on the prescribed schedule of every four hours. When I told him I wasn’t he chewed my butt out, saying in order to heal right your body can’t be in a state of tense, and getting no sleep.

Well, that was the thought process back then, and because of the idiots that abused the opioids the train of thought today is to wean off as fast as possible and just let the patient suffer thru it.

There’s been many times, within the last couple of surgeries I had between 2018 and 2021, thst I’ve heard patients screaming at Drs and nurses down the hall, threatening to kick their behinds the soonest the patients could. At nights I was kept awake not only of my own pain but from patients screaming down the hallways, asking for someone to end their life like right now, because the pains were unbearable. A lamenectomy is one thing, but to have steel attached to bone it’s a pain that makes you wish you would pass it’s so excruciating.

My dr promised me no more back pain upon this new all steel back. Well, he lied and he told the truth at the same time. The nagging back ache from years of heavy construction was gone, but what keeps me up at nights anymore is the pain of the anchors in the spine if I overdo it.

Overdoing it is loading the dishwasher, vacuuming the house, and maybe blowing leaves off the front porch. Three hours worth of tasks that’ll lay me up for a day and a half.

DOUGER, this thread was meant to be all for you, and I didn’t mean to be talking about my experiences, but if you did get steel put in your back I just wanted you to know it’s gonna change things.
You like doing your own car maintenances like changing the oil? Well, no more of that. What about camping and traveling long distances? It’s gonna be tough, I’m telling you. You’re not going to be able to go back doing what you used to do. If you even try, you’ll pay for it. Just saying.

You just have to adjust your lifestyle and be good with it. Here’s a perfect example of adjusting lifestyle-
RMAC this last June started on a Wednesday and ended on Sunday. That’s five days of what I call “being in airgun disneyland”. I only participated in two 30 minute heats of the 100 yard benchrest. That’s 1 hour. I would’ve loved to have hung out the whole day, all five days, just mingling and meeting folks, watching all the events. But instead, I chose to go back to my hotel and rest up so I could attend the awards banquet and make the drive halfway(I broke the 11 hour drive in two days) to Elko, NV to head home. The hauling of my gear in a cart, unpacking the gun from the case, setting up then breaking down, really took its toll on me, but I chose to do all that cause I wanted to. But I had to “re energize” by laying down at the hotel.

This is just an example of how you’re going to have to make adjustments in your life, if you choose to do stuff that may be a bit demanding on your body.

Good luck and I hope you heal well.

Last edited:
Don’t know who you are but prayers to guide the medical professionals talented hands and skills. May your recovery be as complete as possible and you return to a normal life.
My wife had neck surgery three weeks ago that could have left her a quad. Waiting to see her move her hands and feet in recovery felt like an eternity. All turned out well. Surgery was required because she got hit by a GMC pickup as she walked out of grocery store. Trucks fault.

They always unplug the pain pump too soon, and then it’s just time to brace against the pain.
So glad you got through it Doug, now hopefully you will soon have some relief.
Although it’s definitely going to be like Augie said! Work that pain management plan.
The pain after my brain surgery was huge for many days, and I made the mistake of skipping the pain meds once thinking that I could deal with it.
That was a bad decision, I should have followed the plan.
Best of luck with your recovery.
Yeah it’s crazy sore. No comfort at any position o wellfew days be better I’m sure. Walking ok legs are strong to s point.
EE85247A-54DC-456D-9EDF-1EF5E1B2A3C2.jpeg

I wish you a speedy recovery , I have had 31 surgures on back , hip leg foot hands ,and lung , I been shot with 30 cal , cut open with machette , shot in a explosion , poisoned and hit by 3 cars on bikes , So I can sympathize with you , Try to rest and heal , and I know how bad pain is especially surgical pain when redoing a back surgery it sucks , My only advice is try not to get used to pin meds , I had a horrible time getting off them from bad surguries and I tried everything for pain even one time installing a pain pump into spine where it used to charge the battery like a cell phone charger , well this accually made me feel like a teen again but it got infected and had to remove it and it went bad with infection , It took me over 1 year to get off pain meds after being on them for 6 yrs .I know how fast they get people up from back surgery with me it was like 2 days . last surgery I had they attached a like ball with a wire it was not narcodic but pain blocker , this is a wonderful device with no side effects , hope the best LOU

@douger Ouch! That looks uncomfortable. But it seems you’re going home rather quickly. Good to read that surgery went well for you. How’s your mobility been affected as far as shifting when sitting or laying down? Are you able to turn from side to side and sit up in bed? Or are you trying to not lay flat on your back? That’s a difficult area to keep clean and dry. I hope you have some good helping hands.

@douger Ouch! That looks uncomfortable. But it seems you’re going home rather quickly. Good to read that surgery went well for you. How’s your mobility been affected as far as shifting when sitting or laying down? Are you able to turn from side to side and sit up in bed? Or are you trying to not lay flat on your back? That’s a difficult area to keep clean and dry. I hope you have some good helping hands.
Havnt really tried anything yet just short walk body is shot. Yeah I can roll over and cry it terrible. Hopefully be out Monday