RTI Winterizing my Prophet…

Temps are getting cold in Connecticut, so I thought I’d “winterize” my Prophet by swapping the .25 LR barrel for my .177 barrel. I won’t be shooting and walking my brother’s 100 yard range in the winter - so I figured it was a good time to switch to my favorite backyard caliber.

Swap took less than 5 minutes - super easy rifle to change calibers. I kept the .25 caliber end cap on the shroud - figured it wouldn’t make much difference.

I had polished the .177 barrel with Flitz, so I was hoping it would shoot well.

Keeping the .25 “tune” exactly the same, it shot the .177 13.4g JSBs at 895-897 fps. I turned the hammer spring out 1/4 turn and got 880-885 fps. Eventually I turned out another 1/4 turn and settled on 855 fps.

After an initial 10 shots to settle the barrel, it immediately started shooting tight groups - the red circle is .25” diameter.

I’ve never really used the 13.4g .177s - always loved the 10.3g. I’m gonna see how it does in the 30 Yard Challenge with the 13.4g.

Do any of you guys reduce caliber for closer range winter shooting?

IMG_3239.jpeg

IMG_3244.jpeg

IMG_3245.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3238.jpeg
    IMG_3238.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3236.jpeg
    IMG_3236.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3237.jpeg
    IMG_3237.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 7
Winter? I can only max out in my yard to 35 yards, 30 is easy. This last year I came to the realization, and sold stuff that didn’t conform. I love shooting those little 177 ice picks
Lol, yeah when you’re handle is Florida_Man, you can’t “appreciate“ shooting in the winter…

I have to leave my rifles outside for 30 minutes before starting tar shooting, otherwise you deal with PoI shifts as the rifle and scope cool from 70 degrees indoors to 30 degrees outdoors.

I had a post last winter where I was shooting TYC cards when temps were in the 20s. I shot some pretty good cards considering that my trigger hand turned blue and I lost all feeling in my hand and trigger finger. I came inside and my hand hurt like h_ll as it warmed back up. My girl thought that I lost my mind, but I just had to shoot, lol. Also, I learned a number of things to help maintain accuracy in the cold.

-EPG