Winter storage of PCP airguns?

Just curious, this is my first year of owning PCP airguns. They are a lot of fun and I wish I hadn't wasted so much money on my other bb/pellet guns but for me that was part of the learning curve. As a newbie to the PCP world I'd like to know about cold weather storage and maintenance, do I need to store my guns with a full or partial fill of the air tank? What about lubrication, other than cleaning and lubing the barrel and exposed metal parts what else should be lubed? My low budget/entry level collection includes the .177 Stormrider, .22 Stormrider, .177 Beeman UL and a .22 Kral Arms Puncher Breaker Silent Marine (terrible name btw). Do your suggestions also apply to my co2, pump and pneumatic airguns too?

I store my PCPs with full air tanks. Your steel and blued parts can be wiped down with a light oil or some folks prefer paste wax. Hornady One-Shot is an excellent rust inhibitor too but a little pricey. If over oiled it can attract dust while wax is a dry coating that doesn't attract dust. Dust can absorb moisture and lead to surface rusting. I guess the product you choose really depends on the humidity and propensity for steel to rust in your particular location.

Last edited:
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Just curious, this is my first year of owning PCP airguns. They are a lot of fun and I wish I hadn't wasted so much money on my other bb/pellet guns but for me that was part of the learning curve. As a newbie to the PCP world I'd like to know about cold weather storage and maintenance, do I need to store my guns with a full or partial fill of the air tank? What about lubrication, other than cleaning and lubing the barrel and exposed metal parts what else should be lubed? My low budget/entry level collection includes the .177 Stormrider, .22 Stormrider, .177 Beeman UL and a .22 Kral Arms Puncher Breaker Silent Marine (terrible name btw). Do your suggestions also apply to my co2, pump and pneumatic airguns too?
Most of all you said just needs moving parts oiled/lubed and a wipe down with oil[your choice] wipe clean and store. C02 store canister tip down. Pumpers leave one pump in. Never leave a springer[anything] cocked[locked and loaded] in storage. I also put a plates bag over the barrel tip to stop dust and debris entering.🤷‍♂️ my 2 pennies🤙🎩

I keep my guns in locking cases and I wipe them down with a silicon oil loaded cloth after each shooting session, along with other cleaning/maintenance. I've also stopped topping them off before storing them, leaving them at whatever pressure I stopped shooting (with a note in the case so I can verify there have been no leaks). When I put my guns away, they are ready to sit for months if necessary. Some winters I don't get out to shoot at all and the guns will sit 5 or 6 months in my closet in those cases. When I take them out, I top them off and shoot.

Reactions: Kearney