• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Windmeister and the Flex .30 in competition - 3rd place first time out

Windmeister

Dealer
Oct 4, 2015
AZ
This last weekend I got a chance to shot the new Flex .30 at a match, the format a 100m 600 point competition. I.e. 6 shots on 10 bulls measuring 5" across. 
The wind was nuts, with a big N, sustained wind in the 11-12mph with gusts in the 15-16mph. So an easy 8+ drift in the target end. It didn't help that the wind swapped direction from 11 o'clock to about 1:30 o'clock, over the back berm, causing turbulence and downdrafts, challenging to say the least.

For the best wind reading I put out two WM's at roughly 25m and 55m, if you check the law of momentum, you quickly realize that what happens in the first third counts for 2 thirds of the drift on target. 

I brought a couple of the new Windmeister's to test them in the wind, and got plenty for them, lol. After sighting the gun in as best I could in the wind (never shot it before this match, not even practice, or zeroed it with a scope) So completely unknown territory. After that I had sorta zeroed the gun, I started to pay attention to the wind readings. I only had too shot a couple of sighters, maybe 7 total. It was very consistent with what the wind reading showed.
In the end I put 60 shots within 4" of all bulls, ended up with a 492 1X score, good enough for 3rd place.
Given the to me unknown gun platform, which I now really like, the fact I had to shot from bags, not a rest or bipod, makes me very confident of the performance of this combo in the future.

Hey Tom

Yes, I've got tripod options for it. a $14 option, so $314 +s/h
And yes it can be calibrated to withstand that kind of wind. I had it in wind up to 48mph (huge storm came through here)
I had it calibrated to a medium soft setting for the shoot last weekend. But it can easily be cranked up to be used in much heavier wind.
It's done with only two set screws, super simple.