• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
Chris. 

I would say for you to get some better shots, invest in an Anemometer (wind meter) you can get them for as little as $20 on up. I like the Kestrel Anemometers. They even have bluetooth versions to connect to your phone so the apps populate everything automatically. This app is useful if you decide to get the bluetooth version of any of the anemometers. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.borisov.strelokpro&hl=en - There is also some of the apps Kestrel has too like Applied Ballistics, and one more that escapes me. 

http://kestrelmeters.com some of the add ons for the meters include a wind vane attachment for directional assessment of the wind too. Barometric pressure, compass etc are all on board. 

Having the actual or close to actual wind speed will improve shots greatly. That, and lots of practice shooting. 

I find using a decent guess plus a couple of test shots based on my guess works well. For example, account for ~5mph by aiming an inch or so in the desired direction (@75 yards) and see where you hit a tree.

Using a high speed camera really helps with this too. Sometimes you don't actually hit where you think. The camera will show you the pellet trajectory.

Reactions: Doogy
I think part of his issue is he is stating that he has no clue what a 5mph wind is vs a 10 mph etc. Having a tool to help teach him the difference would be the best option I feel. With that he will be able to learn the difference and become a better shot. At some point, we put the tools down and start shooting from experience. At the same time, even the experts say from time to time, "oops, I misjudged the wind. It was stronger/ weaker than I thought" 

I agree on the camera/ 

If you want to become a better shooter in regards to wind estimation .. you need to have a way to "read" the wind .
many ways to do so , with wind meters (tho these are locked to the position you shoot from) , or with wind indicators , or by smoke or powder , or simpely look at the sourounding bushes or grass or threes and so on .
getting good at it takes practice , and i have been told that some people read wind better than others (same as some understand other stuff easyer/faster/better)

i like using as many of the ways as possible.
tho is i set up a range i like using wind indicators .. like binding a suitable string or peace of cloth to a three or simpley put down sticks or whatever and bind something suitable to them that will indicate to you how the wind will afect your shot :)

practice makes master ... most times :D 

Listed below is a link to a website; The Wind is Not Your Friend. It has some very good information.
http://www.thewindisnotyourfriend.com

On Airgun Nation website we have two threads that also address the wind.

http://airgunnation.dev/topic/the-wind-is-not-your-friend/

http://airgunnation.dev/topic/wind-meter/

A wind meter is good at telling your wind speed. However if your doing bench rest or anything close to this, you need to know what the wind is doing in several different areas down range. A wind meter will tell you what the wind speed is where you are currently standing. After reading wind flags for awhile, this will also help you in the field. You will begin to recognize how the plants, weeds, trees, etc are moving and that will help you on the shot.

And as Skygear said, "lots of practice". The more you train in the wind the better you become.

Reactions: cubo
I am a tech junkie and do enjoy modern tech, but reading shooting conditions is best left old school. Yes, wind meters and apps will get the job done, but learning to read wind and judge distance without the assistance of modern tech is a lost ART!! I was well schooled as a youngster, but proper training in long range skills are invaluable lessons!! I love my range finder, wind meter, and smartphone, but I dont need them and that is a good feeling!!

Don't get me wrong, tech is awesome, but field skills are way cooler!!

Reactions: SvilenP
"ajshoots"I am a tech junkie and do enjoy modern tech, but reading shooting conditions is best left old school. Yes, wind meters and apps will get the job done, but learning to read wind and judge distance without the assistance of modern tech is a lost ART!! I was well schooled as a youngster, but proper training in long range skills are invaluable lessons!! I love my range finder, wind meter, and smartphone, but I dont need them and that is a good feeling!!

Don't get me wrong, tech is awesome, but field skills are way cooler!!
Well said.

I have a meter, but never use it. To me, it adds an unnecessary step to the process. The issue you are trying to solve is not to know the speed of the wind, but to determine what adjustments to point of aim you need to make for specific wind conditions. The best way I've found to do this is one or more tape flags (I use survey tape on a stick). Once you are comfortable relating the behavior of the flag to POI, you can begin relating behavior of the flag to other natural indicators (trees, grass, etc.) for situations when you don't have the flag. All of this can be done without needing to know the actual wind speed at the single location of a meter.

Part of being able to make an educated decision, is actually having the education. (knowledge) - takes time and effort to learn with the proper tools. Wether they are books, experience and or actual scientific tools. For the cost out of pocket for the tools, the internet would assists in the rest of the skill sets with guidance. 

What everyone is missing here is that OP was asking for help. He obviously does not have the current skill set for judging wind and or a local to assist in that knowledge. Offering up the real advice he needs to learn and teach himself will be invaluable in the future. The tools proposed would give him the capacity to do just that, learn. Eventually, he would be in the same boat as you folks with the wealth of knowledge. Thus not having to rely on the 'modern tools' and do it based off experience. 

I agree, it is an art. AN art honed over time. If FAST corrections to the art are what are needed to further the skill set. An anemometer with the wind vane would correct wind issues immediately. 

I was just simply pointing out that like many other areas of shooting and outdoors knowledge, learning and using skills such as reading the wind are a lost art. To many rely on tech and are lost without it. Use a meter to see actual speed but pay attention to what trees, brush, etc are doing in a certain wind speed. Eventually, you don't need the meter.

I didn't miss anything skygear. OP wants to learn how to read wind. I feel that having solid field skills are impossible to replace. This would be why long range shooting schools such as sniper programs in the military teach you proper field skills not a dependency on an electronic aid. They have there place, but solid fundamentals are a true foundation for any shooter.

We are also talking about wind at 100 yards or under I would assume since we are talking airguns. You can learn alot really quickly at airgun distances by simply shooting in the wind and noting deflection. Or is there a shooting practice app for that? Seriously though, a smart phone can give you realtime wind speeds and direction that should be plenty to learn from versus buying a meter.

Skygear, please don't take my comments as an attack on you. Just amazed at how many shooters would rather use tech versus learn real useful field and shooting skills. So, anytime I get the chance to promote the old school way, I DO and I'm not even old enough to be old school. Lol.

This past winter I shot the BR and silhouette matches in Phoenix. As a neophyte, I was impressed by all the wind gauging paraphernalia 
which was in abundant display. Most of the good shooters used a locally produced wind gauging set so I have to admit it does work. Unfortunately space in the vehicle is limited so I chose to use fellow competitors flags to view wind direction and then in the BR matches used the sight In target to determine the amount of horizontal correction which was required. It was not the ideal solution but it did save me from acquiring yet another accessory to support this hobby(affliction).

"TonyT"This past winter I shot the BR and silhouette matches in Phoenix. As a neophyte, I was impressed by all the wind gauging paraphernalia 
which was in abundant display. Most of the good shooters used a locally produced wind gauging set so I have to admit it does work. Unfortunately space in the vehicle is limited so I chose to use fellow competitors flags to view wind direction and then in the BR matches used the sight In target to determine the amount of horizontal correction which was required. It was not the ideal solution but it did save me from acquiring yet another accessory to support this hobby(affliction).
I agree. When I shot .22 rimfire matches, if a lot of folks already had flags and probes set up, I never put mine out. I just read theres. I don't think you half to have it set up in your lane. You can watch the flags across the lanes and get very good results.