• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Wind Speed Flags

So I've got a grape arbor with a suet feeder off to the side that attracts all manner of birds, including those that draw lead. The interesting situation is it sits in my backyard and has my house 25-30 yards to the West, and a large pole barn the same distance to the South. What this means is I end up with some weird wind situations where my trees and pond tell me one thing, but because of the dynamics of the building on the wind I experience something very different at that arbor. That all being said, I've thought about hanging a little streamer or something along that line off the arbor, but I saw this and thought it might be a better solution. Has anyone tried anything like these flags before? I like the idea of seeing at a quick glance the direction and having a better handle on the speed right there, and these look like you can put them out and leave them out.

1561239334_13585836115d0e9f26dcb289.33513179_dga-direct-hit-wind-flags-mph.jpg

Reactions: wyshadow
Funny, that is a nifty little thing and if it works for 30$ that is a great price. 

The funny thing about that is a PROPER wind sock is supposed to combine all that into one part; the reason why wind socks are striped is because different numbers of bands holding horizontal are supposed to represent different wind speeds. I've had a devil of a time finding a calibrated wind sock as of late, but that little thing might be just the ticket! 

Good share. :) 

Funny, that is a nifty little thing and if it works for 30$ that is a great price. 

The funny thing about that is a PROPER wind sock is supposed to combine all that into one part; the reason why wind socks are striped is because different numbers of bands holding horizontal are supposed to represent different wind speeds. I've had a devil of a time finding a calibrated wind sock as of late, but that little thing might be just the ticket! 

Good share. :)

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the proper wind sock, but it just wouldn't be feasible size/location wise. Also I was concerned it might freak the birds out.

I went ahead and ordered so I'll post an update/review when it shows up. Thanks again for all the positive feedback!

Well the flag showed up today and first impressions would suggest this will not be very useful for what I bought it for. One of the problems I’m seeing is because all three flags are sewn together, it’s not really flying true most of the time unless the wind really picks up to 10+ mph; the other two flags weigh it all down a bit so it doesn’t track. 

I think there’s still potential here, I’m just thinking I’d need to split the flags and mount them individually to get the more subtle wind reads I’m looking for.