Wind-Indicator Flag …We’re having a parade?

An old deer hunting buddy called me up to ask about “BB-guns” so I invited him over to shoot a couple of different airguns.

His first comment on seeing all the wind-indicator flags on my range was: “We’re having a parade?”

Being a centerfire guy used to sub-30 yard shots in heavy brush he never had to consider the effects of wind on his bullet.

After a bit of practice shooting 1“ spinners, he was totally impressed by the accuracy and the power of airguns (he no longer calls them BB-guns). He liked my HW50 and Crown so I suggested researching the Weihrauch springers and getting used to them before considering PCPs.

It was breeze and after a morning shooting various airguns out to 50 yards he had a real idea about wind drift and an appreciation for the flags.

The wind-indicator flags are quick and inexpensive to make. A coat hanger, 18 inches of flagging tape, 3 inches of 1/8” bead chain and some thread is all you need. Nothing fancy, the only thing is that the bead chain should not be able to reach the vertical wire to prevent tangling and that all the bead chains and flags should be the about same size and weight. I use a bit of thread and some lacquer (nail polish) to secure the flagging tape to the bead chain and once a season put a couple of drops of oil on the chain.

Anyway, I thought I would share my design for those who want to stage their own parade.

Cheers!

Wind-Indicator.jpg

Very nice DIY shot of the flag and i really like the spinner/ backstop log slice idea
Glad you like it!

The softwood (white pine) log slices work great at collecting lead for me to reclaim to melt down into sinkers and jigs afterwards. It's quite easy to split out the wads of lead. Better that having spent pellets allover the place to.

The spinners are made from coat hangers and washers. I wrote up a guest blog on how I make them here if you are interested in making some... https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2017/03/diy-spinner-targets/

Nice looking range. I like the flags, I use the same kind of marking tape for my flags. Works great.
Thanks!

The shooting bench is 10 steps from the basement door and sees a lot of use. The lane in the picture is 55 yards, I'm getting into slugs and recently added a 128 yard shooting lane and backstop.

" Houston, We have a problem " where do you find metal hangers any more ? haven't seen in years.
I've been hoarding wire hangers for decades LOL! One of the workshop staples along with bailing wire, duct tape, ductseal and WD40.

Welding rod, false ceiling suspension wire and fencing wire all make good substitutes for coat hangers.

Glad you like it!

The softwood (white pine) log slices work great at collecting lead for me to reclaim to melt down into sinkers and jigs afterwards. It's quite easy to split out the wads of lead. Better that having spent pellets allover the place to.

The spinners are made from coat hangers and washers. I wrote up a guest blog on how I make them here if you are interested in making some... https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2017/03/diy-spinner-targets/
Nice read! As far as the bead chain goes is there a certain size? Amazon list is several different sizes and metals.