• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Wind Flag Delay

I just had my hat handed to me by a variable 2-7 mph tailwind while shooting three N50 cards. My 3 windflags (hanging pieces of flagging tape) were worse than worthless. Not only was I having trouble determining the strength of the wind at this angle, I swear there was a several second delay between wind direction shifts and the time it took the flagging tape to report them.

So these are my questions: Is there a way to make the wind flags react quicker? Do the flags on ball bearings work significantly better?

Lighter winds can be the easiest to fool you. Sometimes, wind can also be very different in just a small height difference. I've walked up to limp flags at knee height, but could feel the wind blowing on my face. Maybe try putting flagging tape on a taller pole at different heights to see if that happens where you shoot. That helped me 

Look at the very ends of the tails. If they curl, the wind has changed…but maybe not long enough to flip the whole flag.

You should also get some flags with vanes that allow you to see the angles. The angles are very important. The dual vane wicks are very easy to see the angles. The short dual tails I’m not fond of. I replace them with a single longer tail.

Mike 

12E44F64-7C5A-4B2B-B037-F48B4E91A9C8.1628995761.jpeg

http://benchrest.com/class/index.php?a=2&b=4729

Ray Hill is the guy to get the Wicks style. I would not bother with the propellers. Get yourself some Amazon basic light stands and Rays leveling tops and you will be good. I use 3 for 50y. Some guys use more. 3 is all the information I can handle. A 5 lb barbell weight on the base of the tripod does a good job of making sure the flags stay out of the dirt when it gets rough.

Mike 

I have the Keeny small flags with the very light streamer’s and they work pretty good, they all most react to quickly if that’s possible? As Mike said I can only process so much information that quickly… I can definitely see the advantages of the dual vane for easily detecting Quartering winds. Maybe I will pick up a couple for next season. I also bought a wind probe that Mike suggested and that has helped a lot as well.

When I started using the wind probe I went to using only 2 flags for 25m. 

Was at the range today. One of the guys said he watched his pellet zig zag through a whirl wind that passed between us and the targets.

This was happening to me at RMAC in the 100y event, shooting the 44gr JSBs. I normally shoot the 50gr, but had a barrel issue and had to fall back to the FX barrel and 44's. 

I ended up being in the last relay group on the upper range, where the sun was situated to my 6 in a late afternoon and I could see every pellet track downrange to the target. It was pretty unnerving seeing the pellets at times doing a weird corkscrew zigzag as they flew through the wind!