N/A Williams Peep Sight Modification & other Peep Sight options

So, if any of you could order an extension, from one-three inches, what length would you. Three inches is absolutely the maximum I feel. I think I know what I would like but I really wants options and pros/cons of different lengths. I think I have found everything needed to start building. Will take a few weeks to come in. I have wondered why Williams has never made them. I think it’s liability. I wouldn’t want to get struck in the eye with that 3/8 aperture. Something to consider.
I would love to have 1/2" to 2" in half-inch increments maybe? If only one, 1" would be my choice.

Good point about being careful with the smaller eye disks - ow! :LOL:

Reactions: Bear-of-Grayling
When you get that done on the Otoberfest , could you let us know how you accomplished it. I for one would love to modify mine like that
I'd be happy to. At first I didn't think it was feasible because the top rear of the receiver is plastic. However, after I tore the gun down for a better look, I discovered that there is a heavy steel plug under the plastic outer housing with plenty of material to drill and tap for a short 2 screw dovetail base to mount the peep sight on. If it works, I'll make a thread to show how I did it.

Just received the Gehmann 598 from AOA. Mounted it on my HW30. Very nice sight indeed. Looks like a tall base but the design allows plenty of adjustment for the original front sight. Thank you for the heads up.
2616FFB1-E378-4975-9E13-8023AAC657E4.jpeg
B1B420CA-5866-4E93-A6C5-CEC50CD695F8.jpeg

@Bearofgrayling Based on your recommendation and others I bought two peep sights awhile ago from a forum member for my HW30. It was great advice. I have a BugBuster scope but love the peeps more and am always surprised how accurate they can be.

Question — I always see people commenting on how the elevation screw needs to be loosened first in order for the knob to work. One of my sights is the version with the knobs and I’ve never had problems with changing height simply by twisting the elevation knob without fiddling with a screw. Am I missing something or are we talking about different models? Both of mine are either Williams or Beeman branded Williams - thought they were the same.

And, you have me interested in your extension idea. Please put me down too if that’s possible.

@Bearofgrayling Based on your recommendation and others I bought two peep sights awhile ago from a forum member for my HW30. It was great advice. I have a BugBuster scope but love the peeps more and am always surprised how accurate they can be.

Question — I always see people commenting on how the elevation screw needs to be loosened first in order for the knob to work. One of my sights is the version with the knobs and I’ve never had problems with changing height simply by twisting the elevation knob without fiddling with a screw. Am I missing something or are we talking about different models? Both of mine are either Williams or Beeman branded Williams - thought they were the same.

And, you have me interested in your extension idea. Please put me down too if that’s possible.
To “lock” the upper back into place the screw on the side needs to be snugged back down. Then loosened again for further adjustments. This is the design of the sight on both models. If a tiny rubber O-ring is put behind the screw, up against the beveled washer and the snugged down just to where the adjustment could still be made, this would fix the need for a screwdriver on the deluxe model. (I haven’t tried the o-ring idea yet, just used Loctite and kept the screw almost tight) The one with knobs. Also put a tiny drop of blue Loctite on the screw threads so it won’t work loose.
I have everything coming to start production on the extensions. Be a few weeks. Will post right back here when finished.
4BE91828-3BE3-4446-9C44-6FB37D0E7C1F.jpeg

Just received the Gehmann 598 from AOA. Mounted it on my HW30. Very nice sight indeed. Looks like a tall base but the design allows plenty of adjustment for the original front sight. Thank you for the heads up.

That's awesome, what a classy sight! Tall, but the base is quite compact - cool that it clears the safety button.

Question, does the eyepiece thread extend forward through the short glare tube? That would allow some other cool accessories to mount there...

Last edited:
To “lock” the upper back into place the screw on the side needs to be snugged back down. Then loosened again for further adjustments. This is the design of the sight on both models. If a tiny rubber O-ring is put behind the screw, up against the beveled washer and the snugged down just to where the adjustment could still be made, this would fix the need for a screwdriver on the deluxe model. (I haven’t tried the o-ring idea yet, just used Loctite and kept the screw almost tight) The one with knobs. Also put a tiny drop of blue Loctite on the screw threads so it won’t work loose.
tI have everything coming to start production on the extensions. Be a few weeks. Will post right back here when finished.
View attachment 385522
Using it like a gib and allowing adjustment should be ok but maybe not for constant adjustment up and down. I always considered these set it and forget it sights. So I don'tthink the model with knobs offers any advantage. Just adds clutter to a neat little sight. I have one on an R7 and haven't adjusted it for many years.
My 2 cents ain't worth a dime.

That's awesome, what a classy sight! Tall, but the base is quite compact - cool that it clears the safety button.

Question, does the eyepiece thread extend forward through the short glare tube? That would allow some other cool accessories to mount there...
Yes it does. The safety is not hindered by the sight either. The thread goes all the through the sight as you can see with the toothpick. The design allows the sight to be lowered enough.
DB4152BF-4068-4844-AD3D-81B3B892F495.jpeg
64825E00-4575-4856-8177-DCB02A04CC98.jpeg
137F5D40-F02C-404F-8973-68EB5B983740.jpeg
8267B0D7-3884-4F2E-9D7A-DAA72FDAB3F0.jpeg

Reactions: swampfoxoutdoors
I'd be happy to. At first I didn't think it was feasible because the top rear of the receiver is plastic. However, after I tore the gun down for a better look, I discovered that there is a heavy steel plug under the plastic outer housing with plenty of material to drill and tap for a short 2 screw dovetail base to mount the peep sight on. If it works, I'll make a thread to show how I did it.
Thanks, I have not taken mine down, but thought there would be metal under that plastic cover.

Reactions: Northwoods22
I have never liked the little 3/8“ aperture on the Williams diopter. With everything coming to build extensions, I decided to start working on the aperture. Getting it closer to eye is a concern. Bigger is safer. Prototype #1. Have one another in the works. This one is made for the extensions and would have to be trimmed a bit if directly over the receiver.
0734BCFF-0286-4D3D-BA85-6FC2D90C5899.jpeg
6436F9F8-7A0B-49E3-9EB2-BABFC154DFD7.jpeg

Last edited:
I have never liked the little 3/8“ aperture on the Williams diopter. With everything coming to build extensions, I decided to start working on the aperture. Getting it closer to eye is a concern. Bigger is safer. Prototype #1. Have one another in the works. This one is made for the extensions and would have to be trimmed a bit if directly over the receiver.View attachment 385924View attachment 385926
Wow, looks very cool.