• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Williams Peep Sight Modification & other Peep Sight options

This topic has been talked about in different posts but I thought it needed it’s own post and should be discussed at further length. I like these little Williams diopter/peep sights. Never cared for the looks of the the earlier models when Williams made them in a gloss finish. Didn’t compliment the rifle. Now they are made in a nice matte black finish and look nice on the gun. On Springers they work great. Fit mostly all different configurations of rails. They keep the guns weight and balance as it was designed, while making a monumental improvement to the original iron sights. The one issue the sight has it does have a tendency to slide rearward without some type of an added stop. On a Weihrauch airgun I always add a BRASS stop screw to the mount. The brass will not disfigure the hole in the receiver over time as a steel one might. The placement of the screw on the sight is very important to function of the safety button on a Weihrauch. Here is a picture of the sight and the screw I installed. When using the most rearward hole in the receiver (which is optimal) the sight base gets very close to the safety button. Picture is not the best on my HW 30 but can be seen. I usually mount the screw on the sight base closer to the slot (you can see in the base) to bring the sight another 1/8 to 3/16 further forward and away from the safety. I did this screw at center (between the front edge of base and slot) before I remembered to get very close to the slot (the little yellow square is the best placement), but it still functions fine but a bit more roomy if it had the extra distance. It’s a quick fix and it’s how the Weihrauch Diopter is designed. Also a picture (compliments of MDriskill) of an extension to the sight allowing for a smaller aperture. This really does add to accuracy. I plan to make an extension and will post the results. Also other members have some great peep sight options. So please post your success stories here. View attachment 384144
View attachment 384141View attachment 384142View attachment 384143
Very neat trick.

If I may ask, do you have a dimension for the hole spacing from side to side?
I understand the fore and aft aspect due to the safety, but would like to know your technique for centering on the dovetail.

Thank you.

Reactions: Bear-of-Grayling
Here are two of the Williams model sights. I really prefer the plain one. To use the quick adjustable knobs on the deluxe model, the elevation locking screw needs to be loosened first. Requiring a screw driver. What’s the point?
24879085-A0B6-437C-BF93-9BBA40D3ECB6.jpeg

Reactions: thumper
This is at AOA 135.00$ not sure what it is View attachment 384530
It's a Gehmann model 598 "Precision" diopter. Top-quality unit, super-precise adjustments, built-in glare shade, fits the standard 11mm grooves. A new one will set you back about $350. I really wish one of you would buy it, before I do!

Last edited:
That would be AWESOME - absolutely put me at the front of the line to buy a set! But let me toss out a minor technical challenge.

On paper: US-made Williams, Redfield, and Lyman sights; and the legendary British Parker-Hale ones; all use the 7/32-40 thread. BUT...they do NOT interchange, as various technical standards of thread pitch angles, etc., varied over time and across the Atlantic. And Williams is the odd duck in my experience - my Lyman and PH eyepieces will interchange, but Williams refuses to cooperate with either.

The people who have figured this out are the guys who made the US-to-German adapter, as seen in your first post. That perfectly fits ALL my Williams, Lyman, and PH sights. That's the thread to copy.

And here's why that's important: Parker-Hale sights are exquisite, and they made an incredible variety of eyepieces - everything from tiny "ghost ring" sport apertures, to elaborate adjustable irises with colored filters and milled steel eyeshade, with many stops in between. And they do turn up pretty regularly on fleabay and other sources of old-gun goodies.

A Williams sight that could both vary eye relief, and take PH accessories, would be world-class stuff...!

View attachment 384221
So, if any of you could order an extension, from one-three inches, what length would you. Three inches is absolutely the maximum I feel. I think I know what I would like but I really wants options and pros/cons of different lengths. I think I have found everything needed to start building. Will take a few weeks to come in. I have wondered why Williams has never made them. I think it’s liability. I wouldn’t want to get struck in the eye with that 3/8 aperture. Something to consider.

It's a Gehmann model 598 "Precision" diopter. Top-quality unit, super-precise adjustments, built-in glare shade, fits the standard 11mm grooves. A new one will set you back about $350. I really wish one of you would buy it, before I do!
Thought about it several times. But my 35E recoils, wasn’t sure how it would hold up.

Very neat trick.

If I may ask, do you have a dimension for the hole spacing from side to side?
I understand the fore and aft aspect due to the safety, but would like to know your technique for centering on the dovetail.

Thank you.
Remove the upper portion of the sight. Mount the base tight just behind the rear hole in the receiver. I put a piece of blue tape on the base over where the hole will go. With a straight edge or laser run the center’s of all the holes on the receiver onto the base. Tape. You have a center.

Reactions: Chuck-in-Ohio
I bought. It is for 11-13mm !!! It looks like also good for a 9.5mm Haenel dovetail-I'll measure a little later..

DSCN8753.JPG

Last edited:
I bought. It is for 11-13mm !!! It looks like also good for a 9.5mm Haenel dovetail-I'll measure a little later..

View attachment 384704
You bought which one, the one on Airguns of Arizona site? If you did, that makes at least 3 of us I know of that bought the same one LOL. I don’t know if they had more than one or their computer system couldn’t keep up and they sold something again that had already been purchased. I guess we’ll find out.

Reactions: Frogy
You bought which one, the one on Airguns of Arizona site? If you did, that makes at least 3 of us I know of that bought the same one LOL. I don’t know if they had more than one or their computer system couldn’t keep up and they sold something again that had already been purchased. I guess we’ll find out.
Yes, I bought at AOA, they had at least 3 of them, a 590 FX set w iris 510 ($169)- didn't interest me and a pair of 598.There was only one 566 iris.

Last edited:
If you've ever shot 10-meter targets, you know it's hard to keep the front sight and target bull in simultaneous sharp focus, even with an adjustable-aperture iris eyepiece. The AOS is a sort of fresnel-lens device which is designed to improve focus on the sight. It does not magnify, so is legal in sanctioned competition.

Its depth-of-field is rather limited though, so they were made in two different focal lengths, for different front-to-rear sight spacings. Note also they have the European eyepiece thread, so require an adapter for a US sight (as in BoG's pic in the first post).

They work so well that Gehmann even sold them for a while, but they are no longer made. Another - if frighteningly expensive - route to the same goal are some newer Gehmann iris models which have a non-magnifying focusing lens:

Thanks for the explanation. Looks like a really cool idea.