Tuning Williams FP-AG-TK and HW35s

I just bought a new HW35S from AoA and had it shipped to Motordoc for tuning. It was a long trip from CA to Alaska but the rifle arrived Friday. The tune is great and it shoots great with the factory sights. Today I put the peep on it. The included instructions called for removing the top sight from the sight base, but the illustration was for a different mode. I installed the complete unit on the rifle without taking it apart. 

Windage is fine, but I am unable to get anywhere near enough elevation. it shoots way low even with max up elevation adjustment. I am using the stock front sights with a thin post and using a 6 o'clock hold at 33 and 50'.

I bought the peep based on recommendations it would work without removing the factory sights. That part is fine.

Any suggestions to get more elevation?

Thanks.

Mike

I know you probably don’t wanna do it but the only solution I could ever think of when I had the problem was if you can’t raise the back sight up enough then you have to grind off of the top of the front sight. I have a gun right now that has the opposite problem. It shoots too high when the rear sight is all the way down. So I can’t raise the front sight so the only thing I could do is glue something to the Top of the front sight. I’m wondering if your front sight is like my HW 50. I would think it is. Does it have the little posts that you can replace with whatever type you like?Mine came with a little pack of assorted posts. I tried the real thin one but couldn’t see it very good.If it was me I would just grind or file a little bit off of one of them. Just remember that it don’t take much to bring your POI up. So if you do go that route take just a little bit off at a time.

Yeah I forgot about the barrel droop It happens sometimes. That wouldn’t be an issue if you were using the factory sites because they are both attached to the barrel alone. But with the Williams Peep sight ,It is attached to the back of the receiver. So barrel droop could be the problem.But the way I mentioned will also work as long as your barrel droop isn’t real bad. You just have to decide which route you want to take.

I think Ripper nailed it regarding why the factory sights work even with droop but a receiver mounted sight may run out of elevation. I did contact Williams and spoke with Brian who was very helpful. I ordered a longer elevation screw/knob. I will let you know if it works - it will be simpler than filing front sights or bending barrels. By the way, Brian had a great tip taking the sight apart - cut the bottom out of a plastic gallon milk jug, leaving a 3/4" lip around the bottom. Do the work under the jug to capture the springs and detent balls that try to escape. After having 1911M1A parts all over my floor I can relate to this tip.

Mike