• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Will this work for kit lubricant?

I ordered a kit Vortek (PG4) to try with a new piston seal for my TX200. Kit has a light spring tar/grease with it. There is no moly type grease.

Should I order a separate grease as well to use on other than the spring? Will white lithium grease work? I have this?

Screenshot_20230202_102442_Lowe's.jpg

I got two Vortek PG4 kits in my mailbox today (HW30 'HO', HW50 'SHO') and both came with red grease that looks like the Lucas Red & Tacky I use on my Kubota tractor. I know the Lucas R&T is great stuff and I pondered using it on my airguns. I have tentatively decided to use the moly I got from PA as the primary lube for installation of the kits (following a thorough cleaning of the factory grease and some de-burring) in my new HW's.

Saw a detailed Tuning Kit installation video on YouTube (in German) where the kit included a nifty piece of clear sheet plastic which is rolled into a tube & inserted into the receiver; the piston/seal assembly is then inserted into the plastic tube to prevent any injury to the seal during re-assembly. I like that idea & plan to do the same during my kit installation, was wondering if any AGN kit installers have tried that procedure themselves.

My Vortek kits are still unopened so I haven't seen the instruction sheet yet.

Reactions: bf1956
Make a sleeve from a section of the bag the kit came in. Slice the section length wise as well. Sometimes it helps to slice a section out length wise to reduce overlap and one seam. It's nice the kit comes in it's own installation sleeve 😄. The bag is nice and slippery. Works great.

Make sure you degrease the compression tube and don't get ANY lube in front of the piston seal shoulder.

Reactions: numbertwo
Awesome advice from a knowledgable installer, thanks! :)

Lube plans include very lightly on side of piston seal, lightly around bottom inch of piston (both moly).

Might use the Vortek red lube lightly on the spring.

@Mycapt65, compression tube: after thorough cleaning (dowel with rags, paper towels); what are your thoughts on a very light silicone oil 'burnishing', is it necessary? Don't want to compromise the Vortek seal at all, also don't want any seal-tube resistance either. I'm wondering if such a 'burnish' would affect how the seal 'sets' to the tube during break-in. Thanks in advance (y)

View attachment PG4's.HEIC

Krytox was suggested above . If you go with it you better super clean all the old grease out . I mean famn clean or youll be doing a redo to redo that ..lol.

Personally its best to use the known recomended grease wether the moly or krytox. You want to eliminate the combustion not add to it with the wrong stuff. Them little jars and tubes of recomended stuff go a long way if applied correctly. Cost for amount is a bit misleading at face value.

I've ruled out Krytox (for now) and plan to go with moly, Vortek 'red' and possibly a few drops of silicone oil. My primary objective will be to minimize the amount of grease applied to prevent or minimize dieseling.

I'm also interested in recommendations for filing / polishing the cocking shoe (HW30S) to eliminate shoe-spring guide contact. I'm also planning to file / polish cocking arm joint if contact with cylinder is present.

Thanks in advance for any info, apologies to anyone who considers this thread hijacked.

Saw a detailed Tuning Kit installation video on YouTube (in German) where the kit included a nifty piece of clear sheet plastic which is rolled into a tube & inserted into the receiver; the piston/seal assembly is then inserted into the plastic tube to prevent any injury to the seal during re-assembly.
Do you have a YT link for the video? TIA

If you do a good deburring of the tubes cut out spots you should get ot in no problem. When the front edge of the seal gets to the back edge of a cut out just press the seal down a bit to clear it and just push ot past. .. use a little care and attention its no problem.. a good fitted seal not going to hard snag anyway. Just a little help in them spots is all

Reactions: numbertwo
Surely they would not give you a lube thats no correct for the job using there parts . But strange its not regular common moly used

Maybe the " better" moly impregnated seals dont it it so somthing compatible is all you need on that.. email thrm and ask why this and not that .. maybe somthing woth the seal compound used for that application higher moly paste may not be best?