• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Will they work together? Alpha 6 scope and HW97k

Hi,

New to the forum and having loads of fun with learning about air rifles.

Too many scopes to choose from.

For those in the know, would an Aim Sport Alpha Six 4.5-27X50 scope be a good match with a HW97K? The rifle will be used for pest control and maybe some attempts at hunter field target. How is range-finding with this scope? Will this scope stand up to a springer?

Thanks,

-Willie

Hi Willie, I have two 4.5 - 27 Alpha 6 scopes and both are mounted on HW97K rifles. They work very well. I mounted mine with dovetail to picatinny adaptor rails and Burris xtr Signature rings. The Alpha 6 is a fairly heavy scope, that combined with the weight of the HW97K might make the combo a bit heavy for hunting duties. I use mine for target shooting and am happy with the combination.

I have one put it on my Akela it didn't work out too well. Too much scope for the gun. I like the scope but gonna try it on something else. I pest at 100 and in so that may make a difference. These guys will be better to listen to though. Don't need that kind of power. Scope is a nice one though for the price

4.5x is too much out to 100 yards? Your eyes are much better than mine. I need all the help I can get. I have 24 or greater magnification scopes on all of my springers now. 

The Diana bullseye mount would probably be recommended if used on a Springer but they do have Lifetime Warranties from the same company who sells the DAR Gen2 who have already proven to really care about their customers' satisfaction.

The Alpha6s have 6 fold zoom ratio which usually much higher dollar high end scopes have. This was one of the determining reasons why I bought so many. You trpically see mostly 4 fold zoom ratios in most scopes that limit you to a narrower zoom range.

I would be happier if the Alpha6 went up to at least 40x. Like 4.5-40x that would be ideal for me since they start from 4.5x and don't need to crank it all the way up to higher magnification for close range shots. I usually start from 5x to 6x anyway and 4x is just too little magnification for my needs. The current 4.5-27x50 and 2.5-15x50 Alpha6s both focus down to 10 yards and have daytime visible illumination and have a Lifetime warranty. Search EBay for the cheapest prices and free shipping.

I prefer the 4.5-27x50 more than the 2.4-15x50 because I like to shoot ants at 50 yards. I can see ants crawling at 100 yards with it. Can't say the same for many other brands of scopes costing a lot more where they simply aren't clear all the way to maximum power which I really feel isn't right and all scopes should rightfully be clear all the way from end to end on their minimum to maximum zoom especially when paying more than $200.

You should just buy one of every scope so you get first hand "hands on" see through all of them at max power to know whether they are all clear or not and whether an air eyeboxes are perfect or not to recommend them or not based on what you personally looked through. Apparently Everyone's eyes are different. I seen scopes that aren't clear all the way to max power that some people told me that theirs were especially the $1200.00 and under some even Japanese arent clear all the way but most are Chinese.

Just return all of the MAJORITY scopes that aren't clear all the way to max power or have bad eyeboxes or both. The ones you end up keeping are the ones to recommend to others. Even the borderline overpriced scopes you returned there's a reason you didn't keep them right? You had them at one point that you remember returning for refund and ended up not keeping it. Share that with others.

Sure beats a specs list that most won't Even know if they have good or bad eyeboxes and whether they are clear at both ends of the zoom all the way to maximum and end up having the feeling of getting ripped off when only 2/3 or 3/4 of their new scope magnification are ueeable. Even a newly introduced mid grade model Chinese $799.99 5-25x56 that's supposed to be a Nightforce beater isn't clear past 22x (NOT mentioning names here so don't ask).

Jungle- you should AT LEAST own ONE Alpha6 4.5-27x50 to use as a minimum optical acceptable benchmark to expect all other scopes costing over $200 to AT LEAST EQUAL the clarity AT 27x (or the max power the other scopes have) and brightness and great eyebox that is not affected by different magnification from 4.5x all the way to 27x and hopefully prayfully beat to determine whether or not to return all the other scopes for refund after comparing them next to the $200 Alpha 6 starting at max zoom magnification. I have been returing a lot lately because of this simple side by side comparison test.

Example when comparing the 4.5-27x50 Alpha6 side by side with a $799.99 5-25x56 (unnamed newly introduced popular brand) compare the Alpha6 set at 25X vs the other more expensive new scope at its 25X max. When comparing it to a $669.99 6-24x50 (unnamed very popular brand) set the Alpha6 at 24X and the other at max 24X.

Fair is fair but the more expensive scopes are supposed to be way better in a perfect world.

After it passes the try to beat the Alphha6 clarity and brightness and eyebox test then that's the starting point to proceed further.

If everyone owned at least one Alpha6 then they know what I expect as the minimum acceptable level of any scope clarity and brightness that cost over $200.

If everyone owned the $100 Centerpoint 3-12x44 SFP PLT BDC 30mm side focus then they would know what I expect in optical greatness for all scopes costing more than $100. This one is also a winner too in my book.

Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback. I think I will give the Alpha6 a try. The price looks great.

I was able to get one today from OpticsPlanet for $176, cool.

I'm tempted by the new H5 Sidewinder coming from Hawke, but at this point can't justify the huge price increase. I have doubts that the extra value in an H5 is worth the difference in price, especially since I plan to holdover/under as opposed to clicking.

Apparently the $176 deal is done and over with and they must have caught their error when they got flooded with orders since even DVOR were $215 which is Optics Planet's cheaper sale outlet store.

Snooze you lose! Blink and it's gone. Thats life. Too good to be true from a legitimate source. They were as low as $165 early this year FYI but scopes made in China in general cost $20-$80 to make anyway.

EBay $196 when you buy 4 at a time with free shipping or $229 each free shipping. The other listing is $299 for those who feel better paying more money in hopes get what you pay for in life. Hey don't laugh it's true people actually pay higher price for things for real!!! They even sleep better too no kidding!!!

Half hour ago and right now...

Screenshot_2020-11-26-14-15-192.1606436879.png
Screenshot_2020-11-26-14-14-082.1606436880.png

Odoyle,

I did my best to further your legacy. 😄

They guy on the other forum actually went just hours ago to OpticsPlanet to buy your Alpha6 upon my/your recommendation!!!!!

But...... — it wasn't there at that price, but $35 higher..... 😟

Sadness, frustration, desperation — what a mix of emotions on this Thanksgiving Day! 😟

Yupp, as you said: You snooze, you loose! 🤣

Matthias