• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hatsan Will the Hatsan Flash .25 handle slugs?

I posted earlier this week about the magazine of it getting in the way of the red dot and another user here, FLgunner, said to get a riser for the dot, which has arrived.
The rifle and the other stuff I needed for it are coming in tomorrow.

The reason I ask this question is because I was watching a youtube video that said budget air rifles don't do well with slugs. But does the Flash do well? The slug in question is the H&N Grizzly (31gr). I ordered 3 kinds of pellets, including those. The next heaviest is a standard pellet shape; the H&N Silver Point (24.38gr).

The pellets on the hatsan website state a minimum muzzle energy while the rifle only says its maximum.

Can anyone help me out?

Grizzly's not so much, but hybrids are better, you will probably spend some money on different slugs trying to find the "magic" projectile. Use the search function on this website to help you find what you are looking for. Topic has been covered here, but if you are wanting to shoot slugs at distance, might have to spend more $$$. Buy once, cry once just my opinion, good luck and hope it works out for your needs.

Grizzly's not so much, but hybrids are better, you will probably spend some money on different slugs trying to find the "magic" projectile. Use the search function on this website to help you find what you are looking for. Topic has been covered here, but if you are wanting to shoot slugs at distance, might have to spend more $$$. Buy once, cry once just my opinion, good luck and hope it works out for your needs.
Hybrids? Haven't seen those yet. Can you show me an example?
And I only plan on using the gun for target shooting really, and possibly pest control if the situation ever develops. The distance isn't that much anyways, like 30yds maybe from where I shoot to where I most frequently place targets

Reactions: markhooper
so I consider the umarex notos 22 a budget gun.. seems like it shoots everything well and as it came from the factory with a fixed moderator it's fairly quiet.. I don't see much difference between the crossman premier hollow point and jsb 18 round nose pellets.. actually in any of my guns.. however the jsb jumbo monster redesigned heavy pellets make much less a report but they sure sound like they hit much harder..
if you want, I could get out my chronograph chart if you want exact speeds but like the notos it's going I think it was 650 fps and the standard pellets are around 760 fps..
so I actually don't see out at 50 yards much difference in accuracy between the lighter pellets and the heavy ones.. but they do hit harder..
but if I shoot the jumbo monster redesigned in my hatsan blitz it turns it from a semi auto to a bolt action.. guess the heavy ones slow down the air too much to cycle..
I don't think you will go wrong with the jsb jumbo monster redesigned.. thinking they are less weight though than the slugs you mentioned.. I think they are in the 25 grain weight for the 22 caliber..
I did shorten my notos barrel and put the moderator baffle in the shroud recently now the barrel is 4" shorter than factory to accept the moderator inside the shroud.. but I noticed that it seems to shoot a lot more accurate.. with the barrel recrown..
turned out really nice, I turned it smooth on the end and then put a little bevel on the outside corner and then I spun it fast and put a die grinder with a little tiny stone at a 45 degree and then just did the light bevel inside and it came out really nice, nice clean ends to the rifling under a magnifying glass..
I bought it for a pistol and factory was 22" overall.. now it's just under 16"
I need to try shooting groups at 30 yards and then 50 yards.. before it shot my spinner at 30 yards all the magazine and most of the magazine at 50 yards.. so I'm guessing that it will now do full magazine at 50 yards
so I have a umarex notos 22, hatsan blitz 22, and the american tactical liberty nova 22 which is similar to the avenger X without the regulator pressure gauge..
I don't know if any of the information helps you.. let me know if you need anything else
Mark

so I consider the umarex notos 22 a budget gun.. seems like it shoots everything well and as it came from the factory with a fixed moderator it's fairly quiet.. I don't see much difference between the crossman premier hollow point and jsb 18 round nose pellets.. actually in any of my guns.. however the jsb jumbo monster redesigned heavy pellets make much less a report but they sure sound like they hit much harder..
if you want, I could get out my chronograph chart if you want exact speeds but like the notos it's going I think it was 650 fps and the standard pellets are around 760 fps..
so I actually don't see out at 50 yards much difference in accuracy between the lighter pellets and the heavy ones.. but they do hit harder..
but if I shoot the jumbo monster redesigned in my hatsan blitz it turns it from a semi auto to a bolt action.. guess the heavy ones slow down the air too much to cycle..
I don't think you will go wrong with the jsb jumbo monster redesigned.. thinking they are less weight though than the slugs you mentioned.. I think they are in the 25 grain weight for the 22 caliber..
I did shorten my notos barrel and put the moderator baffle in the shroud recently now the barrel is 4" shorter than factory to accept the moderator inside the shroud.. but I noticed that it seems to shoot a lot more accurate.. with the barrel recrown..
turned out really nice, I turned it smooth on the end and then put a little bevel on the outside corner and then I spun it fast and put a die grinder with a little tiny stone at a 45 degree and then just did the light bevel inside and it came out really nice, nice clean ends to the rifling under a magnifying glass..
I bought it for a pistol and factory was 22" overall.. now it's just under 16"
I need to try shooting groups at 30 yards and then 50 yards.. before it shot my spinner at 30 yards all the magazine and most of the magazine at 50 yards.. so I'm guessing that it will now do full magazine at 50 yards
so I have a umarex notos 22, hatsan blitz 22, and the american tactical liberty nova 22 which is similar to the avenger X without the regulator pressure gauge..
I don't know if any of the information helps you.. let me know if you need anything else
Mark
The information seems to be all over the place but I thank you for the effort.
The jsb jumbo monster is something I HAVE seen while browsing but never paid it much attention. Looks awesome

Slugs can be tricky for any airgun, regardless of price paid. Pellets are self-stabilizing, like a badminton shuttlecock, preferring FPS speeds in the 850-900 range, without much spin. Many barrels are choked near the muzzle, the slight restriction aiding pellet performance. Slugs, on the other hand, are stabilized by speed and high spin imparted by barrel rifling; not preferring a choke. Best guess is your Hatsan is set for pellet use, choked barrel with light spin producing rifling. Experimenting with various slug designs/weights can be an expensive, frustrating pursuit. Some manufacturers sell special slug barrels for switching out while others sell dedicated slug guns. Slug aficionados are usually longer range (100 yds plus) shooters who appreciate the better ballistics of slugs over pellets. Do what makes you happiest, but for 30–50 yard shooting, pellets will amaze. WM

yeah i use jsb 33.9s in my marauder .. doesnt need 'slugs' ..not sure how much velocity the flash will wind up to, you really need a chrono to be sure .. get them cookin up over 900+ theyll do some damage, otherwise if the gun wont push them at least 700 your better off staying lighter imo .. not gaining much just using slugs because theyre slugs .. then theres the choked barrel question, no idea on the flash, try pushing a pellet through with a rod, if it doesnt get real tight at the muzzle then its not choked and should do alright with slugs .. so other than higher end guns with adjustable higher power and barrels really made for slugs, and in some cases mags, its usually not a win situation .. slugs soumd like a good idea, but in most cases the reality is its zero benefit over a good pellet .. if you need to hit something harder get a bigger gun ..

The information seems to be all over the place but I thank you for the effort.
The jsb jumbo monster is something I HAVE seen while browsing but never paid it much attention. Looks awesome
Use the "search function" on this website, and lots of information will be forth coming. Also U-toob has channels like Airgun Angie's where she does real world testing of air rifles with different pellets. Also other well known individuals channels that give beneficial advice on products as well. The information is out there if your "Google-fu" is strong. But pellets for Hatsan's are usually the better bet for the quarry and range you mentioned. Stay away from slugs for the previous afore mentioned as not generating enough speed and the barrel is not designed for slugs. A great tutorial is Matt Dubber's Airgun Ballistics 101, lots of valuable information in his video series, a must watch for every air enthusiast. Learn as much as you can, I still learn new things every time I tinker or plink with my airguns. To me, this is what makes our sport so fun and interesting.

Reactions: WorriedMan
I think your Hatsan Flash 25 is basically the same as my Hatsan Hydra 25.

It will shoot slugs if you want your groups to look like someone used a shot gun. I haven't found it worthwhile.

They do like to shoot H&N Hunter and Hunter Extreme however, if you're looking for what ammo these guns like. You could experiment with H&N Hornets as well if you want something pointy and hard hitting. I just can't promise you those will fit in the magazine because I've never tried.

Basically these guns are good for just over 41-42 fpe at max power. So I would use "regular" weight .25 pellets not the Jumbo or Heavy stuff. I use 33.95 JSB in my Umarex Guantlet 2 .25 because it has the power to shoot them 860 fps. With the Hatsan you'd be well below 800 fps. In fact if I was experimenting with the Hatsan and didn't already know H&N Hunters/H-Extremes are the best ammo, I'd be trying lighter stuff and see if any of it shoots straight and can reach that 850 fps range.

Last edited:
Reactions: WorriedMan
I shoot a home cast slug from a flash. It is a NOE. 250-50- fn- bb3 50gr. And had great success with it. 40-50 yrds. Small pill bottles and squirrels don't stand a chance! Have taken racoon's dead right there. I cast them from soft lead, roll them with a bastard file and lube with a bullet lube, I do not have a Chrono but estimate to be about 700-750 fps. I may have gotten lucky with my selection but has worked great for me. Have it adjusted to get two mags in the green the have to refill. I also had to grove out the mag cover to make room for these to work in them, not a lot but it was a pain.

Last edited:
I posted earlier this week about the magazine of it getting in the way of the red dot and another user here, FLgunner, said to get a riser for the dot, which has arrived.
The rifle and the other stuff I needed for it are coming in tomorrow.

The reason I ask this question is because I was watching a youtube video that said budget air rifles don't do well with slugs. But does the Flash do well? The slug in question is the H&N Grizzly (31gr). I ordered 3 kinds of pellets, including those. The next heaviest is a standard pellet shape; the H&N Silver Point (24.38gr).

The pellets on the hatsan website state a minimum muzzle energy while the rifle only says its maximum.

Can anyone help me out?

My Hatsan FlashPup(.22) does quite well w/ JSB Knockout slugs to 60 yrds. I've taken several G-hogs w/ them cleanly at~ 730 fps.