Will low light scope work for night shooting?

I posted this at "optics" it was recommended that I post here in "hunting"...

We have nutrias in our lake we are trying to get rid of. I got a gamo whisper air gun but the scope doesn't really work very well for night shooting. Most of my shots will be less than about 50 yards or so since I am usually shooting at a swimming nutria. Anyway, I am newb at any gun related items and was wondering about scopes. I really don't want to spend $500+ on one of the "true" night scopes so I figured I would ask folks here on the forum if a "regular" low light scope will work for me. I have found that there is enough light that I can see the nutria just fine with a small set of binoculars i have . Big difference between the binoculars and the as-delivered gamo scope. I was thinking i could probably purchase a lower-priced (less than $100) low light scope that might work…. Any help folks here can give me would be VERY much appreciated!

Answered over in optics. Cut and paste my reply

1593951768_6036847885f01c618d24df2.03575840.jpg

My night time pesting….I absolutley need more than just a low light scope. My cheapest set up is my green light attached to the scope. Works great for me out past 50 yards easily for visibility. 

I don't have that scope anymore, but I still use the light…

The light cost around $25 with batteries, mounts, etc...

1593952021_18404737485f01c7156d9fe7.62870574.jpg

If it's pitch black, you'll need lights, or a night vision scope.

However, for urban and suburban hunting, there is often so much ambient light available, or you can set up a light in the general area where you expect your quarry to show up.

🔶And in that case you might be fine with a scope that has

(a) a large objective lens (44, 50, or 56mm) and

(b) has more or less good glass (not the 4-digit dollar amount glass as mentioned above, but say $300).

🔶On a typical 6-24x50 you'd turn down the magnification to say 16x or less to make the scope image brighter.

And you definitely would want a lit reticle with adjustable brightness.

🔶My very first two game birds I got on a soccer field with a 6-24x50 (sub-$100) — no lights, but plenty of street lights around the field. 😊

Matthias

Vitals. They all spray. There are no guarantees. The only skunk of about 80 I've shot that didn't spray was a spine shot.

Bob, I've watched many of your excellent videos demonstrating your abilities and experience. I've only shot one in the lungs and it sprayed for only of fraction of a second. Edgun Leshiy on Youtube and others say that in most cases they don't spray with a lung shot. Maybe when they say skunks don't spray, they mean that don't spray much. Like in my case where it was for less than 1/2 second. 

I wondering should I give this one a pass for fear of spraying. I can move the target zone to a clearing with a 15' radius of clear dirt and 33+ yards away from any buildings. If I give it a heart lung shot at 33 yards with a JSB MK2 34g at 900 fps at the muzzle how far will it likely walk away and what is the chance I give myself and neighbors a smelly surprise? I don't want to have to track it down through the bushes during the night.

1594507865_11339003655f0a4259d24669.97362160.jpg