• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Will an FX Wildcat .22 humanely delete a woodchuck?

I am not a hunter and have never killed an animal (but don't have a moral problem with hunting). I have a woodchuck under my garage (maybe two) that are driving me to that point however. I have a FX Wildcat in .22 and can bump up the fps if necessary. Will it efficiently exterminate the woodchuck, range 20 to 30 yards? Last thing I want is to have a wounded chuck run and die under the garage, I'll never be able to get it out.

Also, is a head shot the best option? Or neck, base of skull? This is a northeastern woodchuck (groundhog), fat roly-poly thing, not the skinny western variety.

Whomever wrote that article has absolutely no clue about groundhogs. 

Some of that advice MIGHT be useful. Most of it is pure drivel. You should never trap game in your yard and carry it out onto someone else's property to release it. If you don't want the critter on your property, it is fairly reasonable to assume the owner of the other property doesn't want them either. Other advice given is just cruel. "Use lime to burn their feet?" Really! "Pour ammonia down their burrow?" Wow! Might as well just kill them humanely. Why poison them slowly?

As to eating them, I've never had one that I would say was either tender or particularly flavorful. My experience is that they are quite tough owing to their making their living as miners and quite "gamey". The best way to cook them that I ever found was a crock pot. I think a pressure cooker might tenderize them sufficiently. Never tried to pressure cook one.

Edited ... for emphasis which was apparently lost on one or two.

Reactions: exsquid
100% yes. Always wait for a brain shot. Look at some Anatomy pictures online to see exactly where the brain lies

Get one into the right spot, and your .22 is plenty. Always aim for the exit hole...

Well said.

This sounds so clever and that it might be a lesson lost on the slow, which means me. Can you explain what you mean here? I never hunted anything except for about a week and a half ago, so any little emphasis on the bleeding obvious is far from wasted, thanks.

You should never trap game in your yard and carry it out onto someone else's property to release it. If you don't want the critter on your property, it is fairly reasonable to assume the owner of the other property doesn't want them either.

Thanks for this reminder to those that don't know any better. We live way out in the country and numerous times have caught "city folk" releasing live caught racoons/opposums etc. "out in the country". Dang folks...just because we live out in the country doesn't mean I enjoy spending extra cash on ammo to dispatch other peoples problems that now become our problem, LOL. Great PSA. 😉