Will all the new anti gun legislation being proposed, affect us in the air gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It definitely will have some ramifications. The most pertinent at the moment will be the shortage of air supplies. Everything from pellets to guns of all ranges will become harder to source for the next few years. A significant portion of people will want to buy alternatives to firearms (airguns), in the long term this will likely benefit the sport as it will increase market competition as airguns won’t be niche anymore. In the short term while the companies evolve to meet demand there will be a lot of shortages. 

It definitely will have some ramifications. The most pertinent at the moment will be the shortage of air supplies. Everything from pellets to guns of all ranges will become harder to source for the next few years. A significant portion of people will want to buy alternatives to firearms (airguns), in the long term this will likely benefit the sport as it will increase market competition as airguns won’t be niche anymore. In the short term while the companies evolve to meet demand there will be a lot of shortages.

While it will make airguns not a niche anymore. Will this knew legislation if most likely that will pass. Affect what we are used to?

While it will make airguns not a niche anymore. Will this knew legislation if most likely that will pass. Affect what we are used to?

That’s a really tough one to answer. To be honest I think dems have a massive fight coming up if they plan to get gun reform. I don’t think they would ever bother putting serious legislation like they have with firearms unless they ban firearms outright. As long as firearms in any form (pistols, shotguns, hunting rifles) are still around I don’t think airguns will get restricted. I think of an airgun as a sporting rifle that has a purpose (bench shooting or pesting) similarly to hunting rifles for big game. Again this is assuming no crazy airguns come out in the next few years that blur the line between airgun and firearm. As it stands each year airgun tech inches closer and closer. 

That’s a really tough one to answer. To be honest I think dems have a massive fight coming up if they plan to get gun reform. I don’t think they would ever bother putting serious legislation like they have with firearms unless they ban firearms outright. As long as firearms in any form (pistols, shotguns, hunting rifles) are still around I don’t think airguns will get restricted. I think of an airgun as a sporting rifle that has a purpose (bench shooting or pesting) similarly to hunting rifles for big game. Again this is assuming no crazy airguns come out in the next few years that blur the line between airgun and firearm. As it stands each year airgun tech inches closer and closer.

Thats already been done with .357, 50 cal etc. airguns already. 

Thats already been done with .357, 50 cal etc. airguns already.

Sorta, kinda, not really though. Just because you have a huge massive airgun that can take maybe 3-5 shots at 500 fpe which is what .45 or 9mm power. But there's no repeatability like with a pistol. Once your air is gone your rifle is useless. 

The way I've seen these firearms laws impact thing is with repeatability and sustained fire. Things that make it easier to shoot a lot of bullets or "look scary" is what I've seen targeted - whether for the right reasons or not. The people who make the laws have no clue about most of anything they make laws about.

Because of the need for "air" I hope airguns are able to remain a freedom we in the US keep. 

I have a buddy that works for the DEA here in Nor Cal. We’ve talked about air gun legislation or any laws that could affect air gunners in the future. As you know, California’s gun laws are already super ridiculous but he said air guns are not even on the radar. He also said there are too many other things gun related that the Dems are going after to keep them busy for a long time. With complete and pure confidence, he told me we have nothing to worry about, he said he had never even seen anything or heard of anything pertaining to air guns before. I really have no idea other than what he told me though.

Stoti

We went through the same thing in 2008 and look at what happened. Gun sales jumped from 8 million a year to 16 million the first year of the new administration and then averaged 14 million a year the next 7 years. Whether you want to believe it or not the gun manufacturers do quite well when these are brought up. Three things to always remember. One, members of both political parties hunt and shoot firearms. Two, Members of both parties want legislation to protect their right to own firearms and keep them out of the hands of those who should not have them. And three, there are approximately 120 million gun owners in this country but only about 5 million NRA members.

I was talking to a local cop I met, who had never heard about pcp’s before. He thought they sounded cool and wanted to look into getting one so he could shoot in his backyard. 
I do think broad legislation could have widespread consequences that are unforeseen. Things like the California lead ban and such could become a real problem. 
Like I posted in another thread, I encourage all of you to join the ASA. I just joined today, I figured I should put my money up or shut up. 

I have a buddy that works for the DEA here in Nor Cal. We’ve talked about air gun legislation or any laws that could affect air gunners in the future. As you know, California’s gun laws are already super ridiculous but he said air guns are not even on the radar. He also said there are too many other things gun related that the Dems are going after to keep them busy for a long time. With complete and pure confidence, he told me we have nothing to worry about, he said he had never even seen anything or heard of anything pertaining to air guns before. I really have no idea other than what he told me though.

Stoti

Hopefully this, because airguns are toys

Frankly I think threads like this might call more attention than help our cause. I have kind of rethought things lately. Maybe have more private conversations and less threads about how we are next on the chopping block. Idk

To quote Tweety Bird

"Be vewy vewy quiet!"

Haha yeah. Maybe. Maybe not. I think about it often. I don't know which strategy is best, but now I lean towards interpersonal discussions. If you explain toys to people and give them trigger time, minds are changed from prejudgements to enjoyment. Seems like a strategy to get our hobby to grow all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.