• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Will a stock 45fp Bamtam take a yote and a bobcat?

Hi everyone,

I’m expecting my Brocock bantam sniper to arrive in a couple of days from AOA. It is suppose to be able to produce 43-45 foot pounds of energy in .25 with the right pellets at the muzzle. Will this be sufficient to take a coyote and a bobcat at 50/75 yards with a head shot? I know a 17hmr will stop them in there tracks much further away but that’s kinda apples to oranges. Also I would like to say that I’m an experienced hunter using powder burners and plan on doing quite a bit of shooting and practicing with the rifle before going after either. I just didn’t want people thinking I was going out the day after I got it to try to hunt medium size game for the first time. Lol thank you.

@Bob. It was my Crown shooting the AA 18gr, 905fps, 33ftlb at 70 yards. It had to be a well placed shot at the temple to drop it. I guess I was very lucky. So the answer is yes , it can be done with the right placement shot. That was my first and only coyote and I would never attempt to again unless I am shooting slug with 40 plus ft.lb energy. Thank you.

I think the real issue here is not if it WILL take a coyote at that range, but whether or not you should PLAN on taking a coyote at that range with it.

For me, when planning to hunt small game such as squirrel and rabbit with my .25 cricket at 53FPE, I would take a shot of opportunity at a coyote if it was within 50 yds or so. Anything beyond that, I would probably pass. So I would really only be using it to send a pellet at a coyote if an ideal opportunity happened to present itself while hunting smaller animals, which sometimes happens. However, if I was planning to hunt larger game such as coyote, I would choose something with more power and reach than my .25.

I think that's the driving factor. Is it a planned shot, or is it a shot of opportunity.

Just my thoughts on it.

It's funny that I came across this thread.. I was zeroing my Leshiy today in the 350mm .25 configuration shooting the Hades with a 45FPE tune. I thought about the "purpose" of such tune, and I ruled out coyotes as ethical targets. Now I'm not betting against the possibility of this setup being capable, but I would bet against certainty. I would much rather grab my R5 .30 with 60+ grain @97FPE, which is exactly what I built that rig for.

That being said, I'm still not even sure that there's any purpose to this 45FPE Leshiy configuration lol. There's not a whole hell of a lot of animals that I can hunt with an airgun in this state. I can turn this guy up well over 50FPE, and those Hades smack pretty hard - but it would obliterate the short list of legal small game at that power 🤷‍♂️ 

My personal experience with a 45fpe shot On a fox with chicken in its mouth at 60yds was yes it died. But it took a bit of time to expire laid down about 40ft from impact like it didn’t know what was going on got back up and walked a bit further took another impact and stayed down at this time. This shot was in the lungs stopped far side. Second shot clipped its spine. It. Was not pleasant but at the time was most powerful pcp I had and it had decided my coupe was a McDonald’s showing up every day for chicken tenders.

in my youth hunting coyotes I wouldn’t even think of using a rimfire after seeing them take a .223 or .22-250 and run like hell with their boiler room all over the ground. Predators tend to be tuff vs their prey counter parts. Shooting deer with same .223 none walked more than a foot their insides were jelly.

my advice is shot placement with penetration are key. I have had zero issues using a r5 superlong at 99ftlbs. Under 60 yds. The bigger hole has some play in the game. I think it has a lot to do with the will to live I’m guessing squirrels have run after a .22lr and fell instantly with my multi pump daisy shooting 600fps (according to the box) everybody will have a different experience and advice just remember you owe it to the animal to keep it from suffering.

I hunt and do little target shooting and mostly to test a new pellet/bullet. I hunt strictly with bullets in the field, pellets in close areas due to energy spent quickly. The bullets definitely have the nod for energy retained and expansion therefore wound cavity and more humane kill. .22 / 45 ft lbs for squirrels / .25/60 ft lbs for raccoon size and a .25/100 ft lbs and .30/100-120 ftlbs for coyotes or head shots on hogs. 308 for larger within in reasonable distances.

I’ve had to deal with coyotes in large quantities during bad winters and if you’re worried about an ethical/humane shot on a coyote you shouldn’t be hunting them or shooting them. We owe nothing to coyotes. Just imagine driving up on a cow that’s down in the back end because she’s trying to have a big calf. Now, just imagine what it’s like to have two or three coyotes eating the calf or her guts out while she is lying there bawling. I’m just tickled to get lead of some kind in every one of those pricks I see. Don’t worry, we will never run out of coyotes. So, yeah, shoot away. 

Thanks for all the great info everyone. I’ll probably end up stepping up to a bigger caliber for larger game and just enjoy the .25 for small game and target. Although I think it would have no problem with a bobcat so will definitely give it a try if the opportunity presents it’s self in the next two weeks of the season.

I’ve had to deal with coyotes in large quantities during bad winters and if you’re worried about an ethical/humane shot on a coyote you shouldn’t be hunting them or shooting them. We owe nothing to coyotes. Just imagine driving up on a cow that’s down in the back end because she’s trying to have a big calf. Now, just imagine what it’s like to have two or three coyotes eating the calf or her guts out while she is lying there bawling. I’m just tickled to get lead of some kind in every one of those pricks I see. Don’t worry, we will never run out of coyotes. So, yeah, shoot away.

Agree 100 percent. 

I have shot coyotes with .22 ,.257 and 30 calibers , I have found any caliber is fine as long as you hitting animal with 50 fpe or more , and I wont use a hollowpoint if it is large or deep , I had 1 wounded and had to track it , and it was shot with a 30 cal 47 gr hollow point ,

So for here I think 43fpe is a bit under powered for them here I am sure some of taken them with less but , you need a bit of power to take them out , Now while 25 caliber is fine , the only thing I found is really the hevier the slug the more damage and more forgiving it is , While 13 were dead as soon as slug hit them , The 22 caliber ones seem to pass rite threw heart and they sprint like 30 yards or less and fall over dead , where as the 257 and 30 caliber has power to knock them off feet and they do not run so far this is what I found ,LOU

In last 2 years I got 14 kills with pcp guns , with thee guns and ammo

.22 cal

2 coyotes Taipan veteran ,std 22 cal 36 gr 900 fps MP slugs 52fpe

4 coyotes Edgun R5m long 36 gr 926fps  69fpe

4 coyotes Edgun R5M SL .30 cal 52 gr 925fps 97fpe

4 coyotes airforce condor 257 cal 990 73 gr  160fpe

The airgun hunting world has largely been unregulated. Using underpowered weapons to shoot medium sized animals is not really ethical, and will end up getting things over regulated. You can kill a deer with a .22lr with a headshot, but its not really ethical as its easy to miss and wound it, hence why its not a legal deer caliber. You can kill yotes etc with lower powered PCP with perfect shot placement, which is doable with quality guns, but it doesn't leave any margin for error and will result in more woundings and run off than something more powerful, and in my opinion really isn't ethical to use.

"Will this be sufficient to take a coyote and a bobcat at 50/75 yards with a head shot?" 

NO. But it's plenty enough to take them with a BRAIN shot! So the real question is can you hit a golf-ball sized target at 75 yards with a gun that shoots quarter-sized groups at that range, under whatever shooting conditions and positions you'll have?